Skwala dry pattern

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Allison, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Allison Banned or Parked

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I should tie some up for the Yak, yah? I don't even know what they should look like, let alone where to get a recipe. Can you guys help me out? I assume there might be a nymph that goes with this as well. Any help you can provide would be very much appreciated.
  2. trout man New Member

Indiana
    Ratings: +1 / 0
  3. trout man New Member

Indiana
  4. Allison Banned or Parked

Seattle, WA
    Thanks. They both look super fun to tie, though the nymph maybe a little difficult....? Do the colors looks right for the Yak on the examples in the tutoriasl?

I don't know what that Midge Flex stuff is either.
  5. cutthroatking screw work lets fish

Rosalia, Washington
    Alison,
    the Skwala Nymph pattern in the link that Trout Man sent is a pretty easy pattern.Midge flex is just another name for scud back or nymph skin.
    Colors on the dry are pretty good for Yak Skwalas.I would tie some in the olive and some in a olive/brown,just in case the olive doesn't work for you.
    good luck,

john
  6. Allison Banned or Parked

Seattle, WA
    I use plastic baggie for scud backs, will that work?
  7. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,475 / 9
  8. Preston Active Member

Ratings: +466 / 0
    Here are some Yakima Skwala pictures. Adult Yakima Skwalas tend to be quite dark and some (not all) show variably prominent yellow markings on the underside. The wings of the female are about the length of the abdomen plus half the length of the tails while those of the male are somewhat shorter than the abdomen. The mature female can sometimes also be seen carrying a ridiculously large bundle of eggs at the tip of her abdomen.

The best imitation of the Skwala nymph that I've come across is Al's Rubberlegs. It's a pretty simple pattern, brindle chenille with Flexi-floss legs, and looks much more lifelike in the water than most. The dry pattern shown is my own, a friend of mine has dubbed it the Slackwater Black. I started working on it over 10 years ago, it floats low in the surface film (which I think is important) and, since it is such a low floater, is not intended to be fished with a dropper. The yellow foam on the head is just to make it a little more readily visible on the water.
  9. Chris Reagan Member

kenmore wa
    What size do you tie those Slackwater Blacks?
  10. trout man New Member

Indiana
    i would tie them about a size 10 or 12
  11. pittendrigh Active Member

montana
    Ratings: +57 / 0
  12. Preston Active Member

Ratings: +466 / 0
    I tie them on size 6-10, 2X long dry fly hooks (typically Tiemco TMC5212, Gamakatsu P10-2L1H or Orvis 1638). I used to use peccary bristles for the tails and antennae but finally decided they were too stiff; for the last couple of years I've been using polyester paintbrush fibers. The brush cost $6.50 but it should last the rest of my life. The body is dubbed using the dubbing-loop method and the wing is moose body hair, which is very durable and floats extremely well. The hackle is dark dun, tied in front of the wing, Trude-style, and clipped underneath.
  13. Chris Reagan Member

kenmore wa
    Cool, thanks for sharing that recipe.
  14. Bob Jones Still truckless now farther away

thanks Preston looks good
  15. ScottP Active Member

Ratings: +882 / 0
    I tied some up some bullethead skwalas for a friend fishing the Bitterroot/Rock Creek/Clark Fork over in Montana and he's had pretty good success with them. Don't know if the colors of the Montana bugs match yours, but you could make some simple adjustments to fix that. I'll add pics when I get home.

Pretty easy recipe:
    hook - 2xl dry (like a Tiemco 5212) #10-12
    thread - yellow monocord
    egg sack - black foam strip (tied down then doubled over to create the sack; also acts as underbody)
    body - olive adhesive-backed Furry Foam
    rib - yellow Uni-Stretch
    wing - weed block fabric trimmed to shape
    head/wing - olive deer hair tied as bullet head (tips should extend to hook bend), trimmed underneath
    legs - barred Sili legs (pumpkin-green/orange)
    indicator - yellow 2mm foam

[IMG]

The one in the upper left was something I was playing with, adding the parachute post; don't think it was worth the extra time and effort.

Regards,
    Scott
  16. Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

Snoqualmie, WA
    Ratings: +869 / 1
    Here's a foam bodied Skwala pattern that I developed with my tier down in Oregon. Size 8. It's fishy, and works on other Western rivers too.

[IMG]
  17. Rob Ast Active Member

West Pugetopolis WA
    Ratings: +237 / 3
    Derek, care to post a side and top view?
  18. Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

Snoqualmie, WA
    Ratings: +869 / 1
    You're getting the fish-eyes view, what else do you need? :rofl:

Sure, I'll get those posted!