Skwalas should be out this weekend.

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by rainbow, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Do you guy's got plans, there should be at least one good day. I'm thinking Sunday, I'm trying to come with a game plan too.

2. I'm not so sure they will be out yet. This weekend's air temperatures in Ellensburg are forecast to be cold. Water temps are likely to stay in the low 40s to high 30s, which is cold for skwalas to emerge. Sunday afternoon might perk things up if it really gets up to 50 degrees as predicted, but if it were me, I'd take a day off work and go midweek.

Weather forecast: http://www.weather.com/weather/weekend/Ellensburg WA USWA0130:1:US

Water temps today barely hit 42: http://www.usbr.gov/pn-bin/yak/dfcgi.pl/?sta=UMTW

Steve Call likes this.
  3. Red's website agrees that it might be too cold for them.

4. I turned over about 20 rocks today and found only one nymph. Either they're already hatched or they're just not around.

It's snowing pretty hard right now. My guess is that it'll all melt tomorrow and the river will be out of shape this weekend.

5. It was 29 degrees here this morning when her Ladyship left for work, clear cold & a slight north breeze. I've got an archery club shoot this weekend anyway, and since I'm the VP, I can't weasel out of it:(

6. You want cold. It is 15 degrees here in Dillon this morning. I ain't going outside for nothing today.

7. Skwalas have been out in the lower canyon for about a month now with good numbers of nymphs and even adults crawling around in the rocks.

McNasty likes this.
  8. Just checked the Northwest River Forecast site and water temps at Umtanum are down below 40. That will really slow any skwala action.

9. According to NOAA the low tonight in the Lower Canyon is going to be 19° :eek:

10. How about down south, dechutes etc.

11. 40° is so warm for water temp. What I would give for 40° water...

12. We got about four inches of snow on the East side of Cle Elum and the West side got double that and more in some places. The outside temp now is 29 and its blowing.

My guess the water temps are down four degrees to the high thirties. I will check at eleven. Let you guys on the west side know.

My sense is the Skwalas and the trout will be down till we see sun and the 50's for a day or two.

13. Jim, you should have moved to Hamilton or Kalispel, over in the Banana Belt of Montana:D

14. Water temp at 11:45 38 degrees at E. Cle launch.

FlyinFish likes this.
  15. Every time I look at the weather radar it is snowing in that direction. I think I will stay where I'm at. It just gets cold here and not much snow.

16. Thanks. Looks like it'll warm up around Monday or Tuesday.