Sky Question

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by jason.allen, Jul 11, 2013.

1. jason.allen Member

seattle, wa
    Ratings: +20 / 0
    I was out fishing the Sky July 4th. We had a few hook ups but no steel to the boat. However, we did catch something quite interesting. At first we thought it was a really early pink but after a closer look it was a Sockeye. WTF is a sockeye doing in the Sky? Anyone heard of this before?
    plaegreid likes this.
  2. Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Shoreline, WA, U.S.
    Ratings: +504 / 1
    There are tiny tiny populations that return to the headwaters of the sky. Ive ran into them on redds while trout fishing. Pretty rare catch!
    Ian Broadie and Andrew Lawrence like this.
  3. Andrew Lawrence Active Member

Renton, WA.
    Ratings: +100 / 0
    You will see a couple of them from time to time. I don't fish the Sky a whole heck of a lot. But I have seen them high up in Skagit tributaries and in the Stilly during the late summer.
  4. Danielocean Steelhead Virgin

Monroe
    Ratings: +649 / 0
    I caught one when I was about 10 years old in Fish Trap creek up in Lynden on a yellow roostertail once. Pretty cool experience.
  5. skyrise Active Member

everett, wa.
    Ratings: +51 / 0
    Sockeye are/were native to the NF Sky. used to see them up there every year, back when you could drive up that far.
  6. willisbrow Member

san francisco ca
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    do you guys like grapes or oranges better?
  7. willisbrow Member

san francisco ca
    green grapes
  8. Danielocean Steelhead Virgin

Monroe
    Ratings: +649 / 0

I thought you guys liked banana's down in your neck of the woods?
  9. Smalma Active Member

Marysville, Washington
    Ratings: +707 / 0
    A few sockeye are found in virtually all the region's anadromous rivers. Those fish typically are different that those found in various lake populations (Lake Washington, Baker, etc.). They typically are earlier spawners (August/September) and are not using lakes as part of the life history strategy. Though it is pretty common to find them spawning in the exact same location from year to year.

One interesting twist is that the various river populations seem to share a common genetic background that is different from the various lake populations. One theory is that these river "populations" are the colonizing fish for the species. These fish are constantly probing river habitats and if they stumble upon new or vacant habitats (large lake systems) for the more a traditional population they take advantage of that habitat and through the natural selection process they quite evolve into an unique lake dwelling population.

They occasionally show up in surprising numbers in unexpected locals. One such case was upper Deer Creek on the North Fork Stillaguamish where several hundred were observed one year in the 1984 and a handful in 1985. To my knowledge sockeye had been seen in the basin for decades prior to or after those min-1980s observation.

BTW -
    It probably is good to remember that these various anadromous salmonids have been quite successful for eons using these type of strategies that may not make much sense in the short term but are essential for long term survival. Don't forget that just 12,000 most of our river valleys were under a mile or more of ice.
    Curt
    Irafly, plaegreid and Steve Call like this.
  10. bhudda heffe'

basement
    Ratings: +111 / 0
    Ive always wanted to hike up into the the upper chillawack river,via crossing WA border thru nooksack. The population of sockeye is suppose to be huge!
    BASS_TURDS likes this.
  11. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,686 / 2
    My buddy in Canada and I have been plotting this very thing.
  12. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,688 / 0
    Copper Ridge hike? That's probably a bit higher up than the sockeye go.

Sg
  13. Evan Virnoche Guest

I heard from a person who knew a person who once went there, and he stated the only thing bigger than the fish were the bears
  14. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,686 / 2
    [IMG]
    golfman44, plaegreid and BASS_TURDS like this.
  15. bhudda heffe'

basement
    above the lake,pretty bear'ry and credit cards dont work out there , so no rei wannabe's need apply ! Ruth to chilly 30 miles rt and a small window to get there.
  16. bhudda heffe'

basement
    salmo yes on copper,could drop down too? I guess,have never seen the land just paper ..
  17. Irafly Active Member

Everett, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +1,089 / 1

I just today tried to explain this concept to my wife and sister after we briefly watched a show about king salmon. I love that fish figure out how to find new habitat. I wish I would have thought of the Ice Age example.
  18. Smalma Active Member

Marysville, Washington
    Ratings: +707 / 0
    The hike into the upper Chillawack Valley is a spectacular trip giving the hiker a snap shot of what the low land forest must of once been like in this region. You will find the classic example of old growth forest with huge cedars (diameters of 10 to 12 feet).

While seeing the various fish species (including sockeye and kokanee) is interesting the real eye opener is how wonderful that undistributed river habitat is. Once viewing that habitat it is easy to see why fish production levels have been so significantly reduced in nearly all of our streams.

Curt
    BASS_TURDS and bhudda like this.
  19. Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

Bellingham Wa.
    Ratings: +316 / 1
    You could hike to Hannegan Pass and camp, hike down the Chilliwack the next day. There are some spectacular views from the pass. The last time I was there we did see bears so hang your food.
  20. Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

Bellingham Wa.
    Ratings: +316 / 1

I caught one just below Fortson in the early 90's