Skykomish area fishing/camping/hiking

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by Evan Burck, Jul 17, 2007.

1. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    I picked up a trail map of the skykomish area and am scoping out areas to camp out when i get some days off. since it's close, i'd like to head over that way from time to time and explore the hiking trails, campgrounds, and most importantly, the fly fishing opportunities. Can anybody tell me anything about what areas usually fish the best? What lakes are worth hiking into?

Here's the areas that seem to be worth checking into from the map:
    Miller River
    Beckler River
    Money Creek
    S. Fork Skykomish
    any of the many lakes you can hike into

2. Scott Behn

Scott Behn Active Member

Media:
    all lakes are worth a shot, but if I remember correctly there is a publication somewheres that tells ya what watersheds don't get stocked up there. You could probably contact the hi-lakers or one of those groups for better information. As far as whats fishes best, I'd say since your exploring then it really doesn't matter, you'll find out soon enough.

:cool:

3. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    You've got a great list, and you could spend a long time exploring. You're going to find that there are fish most places. If you hit the high lakes that don't have a main hiking trail to them, you will find a few gems.

Sg

4. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Miller River. Good fishing in the later part of the year.A few Sea runs and small fish with a ocassional summer run thrown in. This river will take a lot of exploring to find the good areas.

Beckler River also later in the year after the run off. Same as for the fish. A few cutts and summer runs.

Money Creek the upper end seem to dry up in the hot weather. I have fished in early in the season but never later in the season.

S/F Sky. Above the Beckler it turns into the Tye. Open in the winter for Whitefish. The reaches above the town of Skykomish hold some summer runs. and small rainbows.

I have fished all of the above streams and had some kind of luck away from all roads.

You didn't ask about the Foss. It is good up in the woods. If I had more time I could tell you about some good spots. This one also holds summer runs. All the fish that spawn up there have to be trucked over the Falls(Sunset)

They truck Sea Runs up there along with the steelhead and also the Salmon, and there are also some that don't go back down.

While I'm at it you also have the Rapid river and don't forget the small streams.

This is one of my favorite places to fish in Washington. But I'm in Montana now so giving away secrets no longer applies to me. And I have had my share up in there. But alas, I never did try any of the lakes up in there as I'm not any kind of a hiker. Skinny water is my beat.

Jim

5. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    thanks guys! now my only hurdle is getting some days off. the brewery is severely understaffed right now, so i get a day off here and there, but never two in a row. i get two in a row off in a couple weeks that i'm using to go up to lake colchuck, but i had to ask for that 2 months in advance...

now play the world's smallest violin for me