Skykomish Dollies

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by jmara6864, Aug 26, 2014.

1. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Media:
    Preston, this was for the purpose of retention. The Feds and WDFW decided the dividing line was the Puyallup river. North of there was dolly's and below there was bulls. I think this distinction was for retention only.

2. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

Zen-

I don't think the following is correct -

"The Feds and WDFW decided the dividing line was the Puyallup river. North of there was dolly's and below there was bulls. I think this distinction was for retention only. "

As I recall the decision some 20 years (pre-ESA listing) on where Dolly Varden/bull trout could be retained was based on the status of the char populations. At the time the only basins where there was spawning ground information for the char was avail were the Skagit and Snohomish basins. As a result bulls over 20 inches were legal to retain on portions of the Skagit and Snohomish basin but not on basins like the Puyallup or Nooksack or most of the rest of the State for that matter.

Not only were there spawning ground info in those basins following putting the 20 inch minimum size limit and reduced bag limit in place those spawning ground counts showed that the Skagit and Snohomish (Skykomish) populations were increasing.

Curt

3. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Media:
    Smalma, you probably know better than me. So, in your opinion what would happen if/when someone catches a 12 lb "dolly" up on the Sauk and submits it for a record? How would WDFW classify it?

I knew one of the contract employees that snorkeled the Suiattle trib/s for dollies for tagging purposes. He had some good information.

4. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

Zen-
    Based on what is known today a char of that size that came from the Skagit/Sauk would be classified as a bull trout. As a particular matter fish that size are caught in that basin annually and at least once every decade or two one larger than the State record bull trout (22#s) are caught in there.

curt