Skykomish Sand Shrimp

Discussion in 'Patterns' started by Matt Burke, Jan 11, 2005.

1. Matt Burke Active Member

Kenmore
    Ratings: +69 / 0
    I took a look at a sand shrimp the other day and figured what the hell.

Sand Shrimp

Tail-white rabbit strip, fl. cerise bucktail and pink lady Amherst tail.
    Eyes-Dark metal bead glued to 50# mono.
    Body segments-New age chenille white pearl twisted with opal white estaz then tie in a small bunch of pink Amherst. Scud back pink over the top for a shell back. The middle section is yelow because sand shrimp look like that then it’s back to pink.
    Tail-new age chenille again wrapped with pink schlappen dotted with black permanent marker.
  2. Matt Burke Active Member

Kenmore
    This is for Trevor

Shrimp

Tail-crawfish orange rabbit strip, orange bucktail and orange lady Amherst tail.
    Eyes-Dark metal bead glued to 50# mono.
    Body segments-New age chenille amberstone, then a couple wraps of glimmer body or polar chenille and a wrap of orange Hackle Flash. This to make it bush out and then tie in a small bunch of orange Amherst. Scud back orange over the top for a shell back. Repeat two more times until you get back to the eye of the shank.
    Tail-new age chenille again wrapped with orange schlappen dotted with black permanent marker.
  3. Matt Burke Active Member

Kenmore
    Making the hook

Eagle Claw 413 Jig Hook. Clip the hook off the back and tie into the shank like it is pictured with Kevlar thread and super glue. It is strong enough to file down the cut parts of the metal, but do that before you tie in or it may cut the thread. The tail is strong but it doesn’t have to be, it just has to hold material. I wrap lead around the curve of the tail to keep it in the swimming position. I use a Gamakatsu Octopus hook in the rabbit. I weave gel spun line into the hide, loop in a hook and then sew the hook eye into the hide. It gets deep so the hook needs to ride point up and stay that way. This allows the rabbit tail to flicker while it swims and I believe it has increased my takes. Don’t know what else to tell you. It is more work than most guys will put into a fly.
  4. Trevor New Member

Poulsbo , WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    That is flat impressive. Very innovative! Very nice.
  5. Davy Active Member

SIlverton, OR
    Ratings: +16 / 0
    I luv this thing!!!,Way to go!!On the lower Sno it would be BUTTER baby!! It's gotta catch fish for sure.Whats the tying time -30 min avg?
  6. spanishfly Steelberg

Issaquah, WA, USA.
    Very innovative, nice tie!

Dennis
  7. Matt Burke Active Member

Kenmore
    I could do it in 30 if I didn't dink around so much. Go for a smoke, play Halo 2 live, etc. Thanks for the comments. It just doesn't seem quite right though. Colors, proportions, something. I was going to pull pics of shrimp out in the pacific to try and get a better match.
  8. MauiJim ka lawai'a

Issaquah, WA
    I especially like the little bit of yellow in the Sand Shrimp, cause 'sand shrimp look like that'... true! Very cool Matt, I can imagine it swims great, and the colors are awesome. Thanks for sharing the step-by-step on creating the realistically-curved tail... is this fly as productive for ya as old standby's like ESLs, marabous, etc?
  9. Jeremy Husby Is there a Vahalla for fishermen?

Arlington, WA
    Great pattern MacGyver.
  10. Dan Reynolds Member

Bozeman, Mt
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    Now can you tie a "watermelon" spin n glo pattern to put above it? :thumb:

I know some people down on the cowlitz that fish off thier bank...they catch like 200 steelhead a year out of thier fish shack....same rigging, sandshrimp and spin n glo.
  11. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +700 / 5
    Dano, that's a standard winter steelhead rigging throughout western Washington. They either plunk eggs/SNG's or sandshrimp/SNG's. Very effective method, especially when the rivers are nearly blown.

BTW Matt, love the fly. Had a feeling that it was a jighook. Wasn't sure though. Great idea.
  12. Matt Burke Active Member

Kenmore
    Oh man did they swim great. Also, I don’t know how I did it but one was tied on the right side and one was tied on the left side of the shank. The Hook point is dead center so it off sets it just a tad. Well guess what. It turns out that one is perfect for right bank fishing (which is what I was doing) and it gave the best sideways view to the fish. The other one, when fished left bank, gives the best sideways view. I could not believe it. Also, I tried a little stripping action as if I was in the salt and the drop then dart up action looked freaking great. Looked just like a shrimp swims. I fished too deep on purpose during the swing. I was hitting sticks and rocks and never had one snag partly because the tail keeps it off the snag and the hook point rides up. Don’t know about it catching fish though. When I got into my favorite hole two gear guys were dredging it with their crap. I waited until they were through and fished anyway.

I can stop tying one fly at a time now. This pattern has got me hooked. I’m going to tie several hooks up at one time then tie on the material. I’ll try different color patterns and sizes now. I wont need to put a spin and glo on it. The hackle flash and the wiggling rabbit will draw their attention. Tied them to the leader with the non slip mono knot and it really gave them great action. Spin and glo wont do any good because they will be too busy looking at the fly.
  13. Surf_Candy Member

Bainbridge Island, WA.
    Sweet Matt! Better name it and submit to the patent office. Put those puppies right on the barbie.

Have you seen the Halo Physics Experiment?

http://www2.mythica.org/halo/

DL the Halo_warthogjump_high.....worth the wait.

Surf.
  14. Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Yelm, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +110 / 0
    Matt,

Very nicely done. Those things look absolutely alive. Great dressing.

REE
  15. bhudda heffe'

basement
    Ratings: +116 / 0
    i got a chance to see the SSS in person at Rons fly shop the other day, truely a work of art and as Ron said, id cry if i lost this fly , probably on the first cast. nice work Matt!!! when are we gonna see the Stilly shrimp, arent you fishin alil' south for your taste, or is the stilly gone belly up for ya. j/k laters bhudda
  16. jwred New Member

Fort Worth, Texas
    I know this is a long time since the original post but, do you still have the photos of the sand shrimp fly? I will be traveling up to the Seattle area in May or so & will be fishing with my son-in-law that lives in the area. Was hoping to get a pattern & tie up a few. Since we don't have any of these in Texas, its not a critter I am familiar with.
  17. Matt Burke Active Member

Kenmore
  18. jwred New Member

Fort Worth, Texas
    Thank you