Skytucky Report

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Evan Virnoche, Jun 24, 2013.

1. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

Media:
    Cabelas vest is more comfortable than the NRS fishing pfd i bought. The NRS vest looks way cooler though - so I still wear it instead.

anti.team likes this.
  2. chodder

chodder Member

Home Page:
    The Sky is looking pretty low and clear right now. Running about 2700. I wanted to run out there after work and then maybe again later this weekend. You guys think its worth while to give her a try this weekend? Ive never fished it below 3000 before.

3. I fished it this winter during the nasty coldspell when it got down to 2200.

I do suggest scouting out the boulder garden just after the righr hand bend after high bridge. At 4000 those boulders can be a hazard because the normal winter line is some pretty skinny water and fast too thw lwft ofthe boulders

4. chodder

chodder Member

Home Page:
    Ya we've walked the drift boat down through there once or twice, even that was a little sketchy. I don't think I'll float this weekend. I'll just fend off the tweakers with my two hander from the bank somewhere. Even then, I'm not sure if I should fish further down river or not, the water is so much different when its that low. Like I said, never been out there when its that low, but I guess there's only one way to learn.

5. U will be able to see some buckets. If i wasnt out of town i would have loved to be out there with a notebook pen and a snorkel

6. ten80

ten80 Active Member

Just wait till it hits 400 cfs like last year (it's well on the way there!). I was really tempted to float/drag my 1-man pontoon down the river to figure out the buckets and bottom structure.

I've floated it as low as 1,850 cfs in mid-July with my 14ft cataraft (5 people aboard, scenic float, not fishing). That's pretty much my lower limit for the upper Sky in a big boat. Still some good looking water for fishing.