Skytucky Report

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Evan Virnoche, Jun 24, 2013.

1. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

Cabelas vest is more comfortable than the NRS fishing pfd i bought. The NRS vest looks way cooler though - so I still wear it instead.

anti.team likes this.
  2. chodder

chodder Member

The Sky is looking pretty low and clear right now. Running about 2700. I wanted to run out there after work and then maybe again later this weekend. You guys think its worth while to give her a try this weekend? Ive never fished it below 3000 before.

3. I fished it this winter during the nasty coldspell when it got down to 2200.

I do suggest scouting out the boulder garden just after the righr hand bend after high bridge. At 4000 those boulders can be a hazard because the normal winter line is some pretty skinny water and fast too thw lwft ofthe boulders

4. chodder

chodder Member

Ya we've walked the drift boat down through there once or twice, even that was a little sketchy. I don't think I'll float this weekend. I'll just fend off the tweakers with my two hander from the bank somewhere. Even then, I'm not sure if I should fish further down river or not, the water is so much different when its that low. Like I said, never been out there when its that low, but I guess there's only one way to learn.

5. U will be able to see some buckets. If i wasnt out of town i would have loved to be out there with a notebook pen and a snorkel

6. ten80

ten80 Active Member

Just wait till it hits 400 cfs like last year (it's well on the way there!). I was really tempted to float/drag my 1-man pontoon down the river to figure out the buckets and bottom structure.

I've floated it as low as 1,850 cfs in mid-July with my 14ft cataraft (5 people aboard, scenic float, not fishing). That's pretty much my lower limit for the upper Sky in a big boat. Still some good looking water for fishing.