"Sleeper Hold" release method??

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Mingo, Jun 25, 2005.

1. Mingo the Menehune stole my beer

Happy Hour, WA
    Ratings: +374 / 1
    I absolutely promise this thread contains nothing political.....just fishing!!!

I just got back from a biz trip to Wichita and had a long layover in Denver.....time to grab a Field and Stream (havent' read one in years) and relax with a beer in the cantina upstairs.........well, page 38 had a piece called "Jerry's Tips" that featured a bit on releasing fish stress free using the upside down "sleeper hold". Apparently, "all fish immediately lie still and relax when held in this position" according to the author.

The drawing showed a brown trout gently cradled upside down in an angler's hand while he unhooked it. I think this is great......if it works!!!! I've seen this used on TV on bonefish and snook but never on trout.......have any of you ever tried this for unhooking/releasing trout? How did it work? :hmmm:

I'd love to be able to calm trout down for an even safer release all the time!!!
  2. Chris Allen Member

Benton, AR
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    It works... some of the time. Mostly the trick is to get them to realize they're in the sleeper hold. This can almost be more stressful to the fish than just holding it like normal to get the hook out. But when it works, it's nice.
  3. Zen Piscator Supporting wild steelhead, gravel to gravel.

Missoula, MT
    Ratings: +13 / 0
    Ya, i use it all the time, on little guys it helps to get them to stop shaking. For some reason it doesnt seem to work very well on whitefish. I only use it if i can't control the fish so i can get the hook out in the water.

Peace,
    Andy
  4. Wes New Member

Vancouver, WA.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    It doesn't seem work too well on larger fish for me but it could just be the way I'm doing it and I don't try to use it all that often.

This may sound like I'm trying to be a smart a** but I'm not. I just use barbless hooks and leave the fish underwater when I'm going to release it. Just run my hand down the leader and give a little twist and the fly is out. Works fine about 99% of the time.

~w
  5. Mingo the Menehune stole my beer

Happy Hour, WA
    Wes I do that too......it does work great......the sleeper hold sounded good for the nicer fish I wanna get a quick pic of without them squirming more than necessary.................and don't ever worry about sounding like a smart ass....getting in touch with one's inner smart ass is a great trait.... ptyd
  6. Mingo the Menehune stole my beer

Happy Hour, WA
    All right, I got a chance to answer my own question today.....the sleeper hold works! almost eerily well..............it was kind of funny, I felt like Crocodile Dundee working the Vulcan Mind Meld on that buffalo.....putting those little trout and Hillbilly Bonefish to sleep in the inverted position was actually kind of funny!.......okay, trout are not buffalo that can stomp my arse but it sure worked just the same! Dunno if it works on bigger fish........
    :)
  7. Roper Idiot Savant

Glenraven Ranch
    Ratings: +771 / 1
    Al Gore invented the "sleeper hold" just before inventing the internet. The right wing evangelical Republicans have been moving towards a bill to make it illegal, they say that it's the devils work and should be banned.

Just a little background for those who are interested... :clown:
  8. Mingo the Menehune stole my beer

Happy Hour, WA
    Roper, is the sleeper hold Big Al invented now contained in his mythical "lock box" ? :clown:
  9. Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

Outer Duvall
    Ratings: +244 / 1
    I think Al Gore learned the sleeper hold from watching some of the old time professional wrestlers from the 50's on television, guys like Killer Kowalski and Professor Toro Tanaka.

Personally, I have had the most success using the Professors' three finger reverse sleeper, combined with the double eye gouge. :eek:

TC