slotted beads

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Norm Frechette, Apr 18, 2013.

1. i havent tied with these slotted beads before so i think they go on this way?

[​IMG]

so what is the advantage of the slot?

2. Here is my guess purely off the top of my head. Many beads used for fly tying
    have a larger opening on one end than on the other to assist inserting the bead
    past the bend. It looks like the slot might be an attempt to improve on the larger
    round opening.

3. sorta like more wiggle room to get the bead around the bend of the hook?

so the slot serves no purpose in regards to its final resting spot...at the eye of the hook?

so why would these be used on those jig hooks?

4. Seems to me that if you are using a jig hook and you turn the bead around, the slot will cover the 60 degree bend in the hook eye and leave just the eye itself showing. Just a thought and don't know if that's true or not as I have no slotted beads or jug hooks to try it on. This would still allow the hook to ride point up.

5. i tried the slot in the forward position and the slot completely covered the eye of the hook (a jig hook that is). i get how theyre supposed to be installed but not so sure of the benefit of the slot.

most flies i see online use the standard type bead (small hole/large hole) and they seem to look fine and dont see why they wouldnt just slip down the bent shank of the hook behind the eye

6. No clue what the slot is all about. I've never bought any because I must not need them if I have no idea how you use them or why.

7. Norm
    I have not put a slotted bead on a jig hook yet, but I have put a standard bead on a jig hook once and didn't like how the bead sat back from the forward bend of the jig hook. I understood the slot allowed the bead to snug up tighter to the forward bend, taking up less of the precious shank real estate. ?

Thank you for posting this, as I am about to buy for our jig hook swap!

8. another vote for jig hook use.

9. The slotted beads are for use with jig hooks. It allows the bead to flush up against the eye without leaving the large hole exposed. If you tie a normal bead to a jig hook and seat it flush with the eye you will see the purpose. You have the bead installed correctly in your photo.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Tapatalk 2

10. I did some research. The slot is to allow the bead to smoothly make its way around the bend of the hook so my first assumption was incorrect. The slot goes to the rear and they are designed with the jig hook in mind.

11. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

same 5/32 diameter bead, same size hends bl120 jig hook

one bead slotted, one bead counter drilled

so both beads work

i guess it all boils down to tyers preference

i dont think the fish will even care one bead over the other :)

12. I have tied them with both beads Norm. You can get the bead snug you can just eliminate the wide gap on the top where the large countersunk end is showing. Sometimes I just use dubbing for the thorax and it covers it up mostly. Sweet nymph by the way!

13. Top bead must be slotted as the bead is round. I see the flat back of the bottom bead. I sure hope I don't become a bead snob and require beads to be perfectly round.

14. You are correct

If you can get a counter drilled bead around the bend then thats the one to use. Not every jig hook needs a slotted bead

15. Maybe it is just me or the angle of the pictures. The top hook looks like a 90 degree jig hook while the bottom one looks like a 60 degree based on the eye angle.
    Did you bend the second hook to accommodate the non slotted bead?

16. Stonefish,

It's just not you, I'm seeing the same thing as well.

GG

17. Looks like two different angles to me. (you guys do know you can buy jig hooks with the weight as part of the hook so you don't need to thread beads and such)

18. Well aware as a long time micro crappie jig pitcher on the fly rod as well as float and jig gear tosser.

19. I believe its the same hook but the slot on the bead allows it to sit up higher on top of the eye. Further onto the hook giving the illusion of a 90 degree bend. It also allows the jig to ride more horizontal in the water.

20. both hooks are exactly the same as previously stated above

just a different angle (the photo not the hook)

heres the offending hook

[​IMG]