Slow Leak in Pontoon

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Mjölner, Nov 2, 2006.

1. Mjölner

Mjölner New Member

Media:
    I've got a bucks bag southfork with a really slow leak in one of the pontoons. It never fully deflates but slowly loses air right after topping it off then somehow stops leaking after its deflated a bit. Any tips as to how to find this leak? I’ve tried rolling it around in water with no luck. I am beginning to suspect the valve is leaking...I'd like to take it out and chase chums this weekend!

2. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Check the valve itself. Do you have a valve wrench? Can buy at Swiftwater in Seattle. Just a quick turn and could solve the problem. Problem with most of those inflatables, the lower end that is, they will bleed air a tad. Not a biggie. So just keep it topped off a bit and you should be fine. I do know they sell a spray you can shoot into tubes now that will fill in leaks (in inflatable boats that is).

3. Christian Brewer

Christian Brewer Super Slacker

Media:
    I have the Buck's Bag Bronco and my pontoons leak very slowly but never totally deflate also. It takes about a week for them to loose enough air pressure to be be noticable. :confused:

I just have to top them off with a few pumps and I am ready to go. :thumb:

Christian

4. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Send it back to Buck's Bag's and they will fix it free of charge. It will cost a few bucks to send it but then your worries are over. You mess with it and all warrenties are off.

5. Curtis

Curtis New Member

Media:
    I noticed with my pontoon(not a buck's bag) that if you overtighten the top, you can actually loosen the valve causing the slow leak. Don't know if that is the case with yours, but thought I would throw that in!

6. WT

WT Member

Send it to Buck's, they're really good with their warratnies.
    WT

7. PETI

PETI Member

Use a dish soap and water solution in a spray bottle. Check the valve first, if it leaks contact Bucks. If not remove the bladder from the cover leaving the valve in place, inflate and spray manageable areas and carefully inspecting for bubbles. If you find the leak use a water bed repair kit (both polyurethane) or contact Bucks for a kit. The repaired area will hold up indefinitely.

Peter

8. Paul Huffman

Paul Huffman Lagging economic indicator

Media:
    Home Page:
    I put a pinhole in one of my Southfork pontoons last month in a most embarassing manner, but that's another story. I know where this leak is.

9. Mjölner

Mjölner New Member

Media:
    Cool.Thanks for the advice. I'll try the dishsoap method and isolate the valve and seams on the pontoon bladder itself. If I can't identify where its comin' from its getting shipped back to bucks for the royal treatment.

Thanks for the advice!

10. ceviche

ceviche Active Member

Media:
    Don't forget that, if there's a big difference between the air and water temperature, the colder water will drop the air pressure in the air bladder. Your description: "...slowly loses air right after topping it off then somehow stops leaking after its deflated a bit." leads me to think of the cooling pressure drop.

You might want to make yourself a long tube that you can stick into your valve to re-inflate your pontoon--especially if you get caught on the water. I know I can use one for my float tube.

11. SeaRun1

SeaRun1 New Member

I have had a mysterious leak just like you are experiencing. My leak turned out to be on the welded seam. check those as well. Also might want to tighten up the valve on the bladder.

SeaRun1