slow water technique

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by mathman, Aug 31, 2001.

1. mathman

mathman New Member

Hi....

This is my first year of serious fly fishing so I'm still learning, but I spent this morning on the Kalama, saw a lot of big fish jumping but no one was catching them. We were in a deep pool with slow moving current. What is the best technique for Silvers in that type of water? I think my fly was @ the bottom (used weighted line with 4ft leader) and used everything from woolybuggers, bunny leaches, egg sucking leaches, etc. Nothing worked. Any ideas how to fish the slow water?

thanks for the help!!

2. Rob Blomquist

Rob Blomquist Formerly Tight Loops

Media:
    It is quite likely that it has nothing to do with your technique, just that the fish may have been in freshwater long enough to stop eating or for that matter they seem to get interested in nothing other than spawning.

I recommend not spending too much time fishing over salmon in rivers. Either they will hit, or they have lockjaw.

Rob

3. cz

cz New Member

I'd agree with Tight Loops on that one. Sometimes the fish just aren't biting, salmon are especially known for having lockjaw.

There are a few things you can try.

1. Move to an area with faster moving water
    2. Keep fishing the same spot, and hope that they go on the bite. I've had this happen where you fish for an hour and get nothing, no follows, no bumps, nothing. Then, bam they get aggressive and you're hooking fish left and right.
    3. Get their early in the morning when they are most aggressive - and use some action when bringing your fly in. Typically I cast straight across, give it time to sink, then start stripping it with short, fast strips.

Sounds like you were using the right flies for silvers. I also like black or purple bunny leeches when it's bright out...