Small creek and fiberglass rod?

Discussion in 'Bamboo, Fiberglass & Classic Reels' started by yuhina, Apr 13, 2007.

1. yuhina

yuhina Tropical member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Hey friends...

I am thinking to get a fiberglass small creek rod (maybe a light 3 weight new fiberglass model). The purpose is to do some mountain creek fishing in this coming summer. Backpacking and hopping around rocks search for 8 inchers. I did some internet search but unfortunately, not much review information out there.

So my question is: Did the new fiber glass rod (e.g. Scott fibertouch or Dimondback...) did they really different from the graphic rod (medium action)? I do have some soft action 3 wt graphic rods 6-8 feet. I love fish them too... but, I guess I want to try something new and I just have no clue how special is the fiberglass small rod...

Thanks,

Yuhina

2. coffeeand trout

coffeeand trout New Member

They are completely different. The flex on the fiberglass and the sensitivity are something special on a small creek. Go to a local flyshop and cast the different rods, you'll be amazed. Each has its pro's and con's so try them yourself before you buy. I don't have any current fiberglass rods, but I have a bunch of rebuilt old rods from 4 weight to 7 weight and really enjoy the difference from graphite when circumstances warrant.

Coffee and trout

3. Scott Behn

Scott Behn Active Member

Media:
    another option is to check out Steffen Brothers. They make some beautiful fiberglass rods. I personally prefer a 4wt.
    Fllinging flies on a small creek with a 4wt glass rod is...well you get the gist!!!!!

:cool:

4. ribka

ribka Active Member

I bought the Scott fibertouch rod, 7 ', 2wt, about 15 years ago and use it quite often in small mountain streams. I use it for panfish in the lakes too. I like it a lot.

5. yuhina

yuhina Tropical member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Thanks. Does the Scott Fibertouch have been produced for 15 years? Now, I only see 4 rods of F series on the market...

6. LG Mix

LG Mix New Member

When I was in college in the late sixties, I bought my first real fly rod – a 7’6” fiberglass Fenwick Voyager for fishing the small creeks in northern Wyoming. It’s rated for a 6wt line but does fine with a 5wt. A few months ago I cast it with my 4wt line and it also loaded and cast just fine. I’m now considering re-conditioning it with a new handle and reel seat simply because the original Fenwick style is so damned ugly.

What I remember most about this rod is the sensitivity. I usually fished a weighted GRHE on a wet fly swing through the plunge pools and a strike was a lot like the feel of throwing a light switch. The closest I’ve come in a graphite rod is my two-piece St. Croix Avid 8’6” 4wt.

I’ve been intrigued by the Diamondglass rods and I did find a short review:

http://www.activeangler.com/articles/product_reviews/articles/fly/doug_macnair/diamondglass.asp

At $300 the Diabonglass rods are pricey for me. If you roll your own the blanks are $150. I also see that Angler’s Workshop has some Lamiglas fly blanks 7’ 3wts and 7’6” 4wts at about $60 for two peice and $80 for three peice. I don’t know that you really save any money building your own but depending on your domesitic arrangements, it’s easier to smuggle em in piece by piece rather than walking in one day and saying “Sweetie this is my new fly rod. Fly rod this is my sweetie.” And yes we’ve already reached the stage of “So how many fly rods do you actually need?”

Hope this helps. -- Larry

7. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

Media:
    Albums:
    First, go here: http://p097.ezboard.com/bfiberglassflyrodders

I just got my first glass rod last year (a Scott), and I have two more on order now (a Steffen and a McFarland).

My Scott is the 6'0" 1-weight. I used it with DT-1 line a few times and was disappointed. That low of a grain weight just can't pull bushy dries through the air. So for fun, I tried my Cortland Sylk DT-3 line on it and loved it.

So my advice is to go with a short glass rod, but at least a 3-wt line. You'll need that heavy of a line to do that kind of point-and-shoot fishing. In fact, the McFarland I have on order is a 7'0" 5-weight. The Steffen will be an 8'0" 3/4-weight, but for me that's a special purpose rod for tiny dries on calmer waters.

As for Scott F-series glass rods, they have evolved over time like many other rod lines. I think they have been made for far more than 15 years, dating back to Scott's origin in San Francisco. For a long time, they used "E" glass, which McFarland still uses. It's slightly softer than "S" glass, which is what Scott now uses in addition to Steffen, Diamondback, and T&T. I'm not sure what Lamiglass uses. In any case, you can up and down-line glass radically to suit your needs on any day. Unlike graphite, glass can take it.

8. spanishfly

spanishfly Steelberg

Media:
    Steffanbrothers makes a shorty 3wt 4pc fibergalss rod. My buddy fishes them and loves em! He prefers them over his Winston and Sage but those are the graphite models. Think the site is down but here's the link http://www.steffenbrothersflyrods.com/

9. yuhina

yuhina Tropical member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Thanks guys, these are really useful information... I am wading in the glass... : )

Yuhina

10. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    I am a small stream aficionado so I bought the Scott Fibertouch 1 weight and I really enjoy it for the fishing I do. At first I thought the price was too steep for "just a fiberglass rod" but after getting it I have no complaints. By the way, an 8 inch fish would be considered very nice in the creeks I fish. I matched the rod up with a Ross Evolution (the smallest one). Yeah, I know it is way overkill to spend that much money on a rod and reel setup to fish creeks...

11. spanishfly

spanishfly Steelberg

Media:
  12. yuhina

yuhina Tropical member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Thanks for the links, wil give it a try. Looks like very classic looking blanks... great!

BDD, which line you use for the 1 wt?

13. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    Pretty sure it was Rio one weight line.

14. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Media: