Small packages of Hackle

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Scott Behn, Oct 8, 2004.

1. Scott Behn Active Member

Lk Stevens, Wa.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Alot of the time I just go to my local shop here in Lk. Stevens and I'll buy a package of select saddle hackle, y'all know what I'm talking about? The only problem I'm starting to get into now is that alot of the hackle is short in the fiber department and it makes it quite hard to tye some of my hairwings. Do any of you know of any local stores that sell these small packages of select hackle??
  2. Tom Hawkins Newbie is fine w/me, I havent been FFing too long

Oak Harbor, WA (on Whidbey Island)
    Shoppin' and Tyin'......Tyin' and Shoppin'.....mmmmm

Give Mike Chamberlain a call at "Ted's Sporting Goods" in Lynnwood, he's on 99, easy to find, probably 1/2 hr or so from LS, nice overall selection, I think he might have what your lookin for....I don't have his number, but it's probably in your area ph book.....? (as are these)
    or.....
    Swedes in Woodinville....
    or....
    Avid Angler in Lake Forest Park....
    or.....
    Kaufmann's in Bellevue......
    or....
    All About the Fly in Monroe,
    or....
    Fly Smith in Marysville,
    or.....
    Man, whadda shoppin' day that would be.....
    and that's not all of 'em....
    Your surrounded by all sorts of sources...........to see what they have....

I think it's better to see with your own hand the hackle selection, rather than rely on the "warehouse" manager to "grab and toss" at an internet location, price isnt everything, anymore......at least in some areas.
  3. Bob Ellis New Member

Vancouver, WA
    Whiting packages loose, presized saddle hackle in what the package calls "Whiting 100s" and "100 flies minimum". We've used them in fly tying classes with good results. Some stores stock them in various colors including white, brown, lt. ginger, dyed black and dyed medium dun. If you need enough of one size to warrant the price (say $11 - $14 per pkg) but not enough for a full or 1/2 saddle, it seems like a reasonable deal. I'm looking at a package of #14 white I bought last year and will be using heavily next week. It has about 16 pieces left (9" each) don't recall how many I've used but not a lot. One place that has them online is Angler's Workshop in Woodland, www.anglersworkshop.com.

Bob
  4. reelin-n-dealin New Member

Your City ,State
    Patrick's Fly Shop in Seattle carries genetic hackle in $5.09 packages that ranges by size 12-14, 14-16, and 16-18, in dun, lt. dun, brown ginger and grizzly.

Jimmy