small spey rods

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by speyneznbhm, Feb 10, 2003.

1. speyneznbhm

speyneznbhm New Member

saw the coolest demo from sage this weekend 12' for 5# anyone out there seen a like size from a different manufacturer can't handle the sage price tag great rod for summer on the nfork or dry's on the gr.
    john

2. circlespey

circlespey Member

Media:
    I absolutely love my Scott 11.5 foot 6 weight (ARC 1196-4). They are expensive new but it is the one Scott rod that I do see frequently on ebay or other classifieds. I haven't played with that Sage yet but I'll bet it's similar. The Scott has been out for about four years and it's a terrific rod.

3. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Media:
    Small spey rod, is that an oxymoron???

:rofl

Roper

4. Matt Burke

Matt Burke Active Member

Media:
    I have a 13' 7wt Dec Hogan Flylogic. I realy like it after I've been tossing my 15' Sage. Loops are tighter going out and almost looks like I know what I'm doing. Sometimes when my timing is off, I'll switch back and forth between the two rods and things will correct themselves.

Matt

"Everyday that you wake up and decide not to go fishing...is one less day you'll go fishing." Forrest Maxwell

5. circlespey

circlespey Member

Media:
    Interesting; I think that when I spend more time on my 6 weight my spey casting improves measurably too. Maybe because the powerful blanks on 9 weights let you cheat too much, so the lighter rods force you to fix your bad habits?

Circlespey

6. kjackson

kjackson Banned or Parked

Cabela's has an 11.5 for a 6 for under $200. I believe it's $160 or so. It might be worth checking out. Don't anything about it besides that.

Keith

7. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Kinda in the same topic. I don't know much about other brands but I love my Sage 12'4" 8wt. I use it 95% of the time. Interesting though is I use a LochmorZ 15'6" rod when not using the 8124.

8. Matt Burke

Matt Burke Active Member

Media:
    I have a question for my fellow Speyers. Do any of you underhand cast? I now have the set up and need instruction.

Matt

"Everyday that you wake up and decide not to go fishing...is one less day you'll go fishing." Forrest Maxwell

9. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Not sure if I understand your question, 'cause I have never heard of a underhand spey cast. Which surely doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I will drop down sidearm when in windy conditions. I have even drop down so low as to skip the line off the water. Pretty cool when you can do it. Sorta like skipping a rock.

10. sinktip

sinktip Guest

Deleted message

No message

Mattzoid, check your mail

11. greyghost

greyghost Member

Media:
    Deleted message

Mattzoid,
    I'm a single-hander, so I can't offer any personal techniques, but I was looking for a 12-13 foot blank and while doing some research, I came across this:
    http://www.speypages.com/speypages.htm
    Click on underhand cast, I think it will help
    Pete

12. Matt Burke

Matt Burke Active Member

Media:
    Under handed spey casting

I'm hip to the Spey pages thing and have extracted as much as I can online from there. Also, I religiously watch the International Spey Casting video, especially the section with Leif Stavmo of Sweden. He goes into depth about the cast, but have yet to try it. I have a spare 14' spey rod and now I have the running line and the 45' shooting head system and I'm tying up 20 feet of leader that he talked about. Even if it doesn't work out, it will fit my 9wt RPLXi and I'll be able to knock the dust of a Coho's back when he rounds Camano head. There just isn't much on the technique except on the Norweigen and Swedish sites. Some are in english and I'm filtering through those, but it's tough going. After I master the classic spey cast, I'm going to mess all that up by teaching myself to underhand. I was just kind of hoping a couple of the spey folk here could help me mess up all those classes quicker.

Matt

13. SPEYBUM

SPEYBUM Member

Home Page:
    Under handed spey casting

If you can make it to the Speyclave at Fall City on the 21st of February.
    Dana Strum will be give a demonstration on the Underhand Method of Speycast.
    I believe that Goran Andersson will be at the Kaufmann's Spey Days .
    Goran is one of the most excellent Underhand Speycasters.

The underhand cast is just on more tools to have in your casting arsenal.
    Remember master the Speycast and you master the water.

:beer2
    speybum