Small 'spoons' off the end of a dry line.

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by fredaevans, Aug 6, 2007.

1. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Fishing yesterday (baked my brains out between the sun and glare off the water - zip fish for 7 hours of casting) but did meet/chat with a couple of the locals I know. One asked 'have you ever cast a small spoon off the end of a dry line "with that?"'

Actually ... no, but it did get me thinking about the small 'Dick Night' spoons, etc. Anyone ever actually done this; any success?

2. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Media:
    I know lots of guys who try this. Works great actually. Spoon fishing with a fly rod. Nothing wrong with it. Just not really 'fly fishing'. But who cares if you just enjoy 'fishing' and\or trying new things from time to time...

3. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Media:
    I'm kinda confused. Couldn't you just put the spoon on the end of a gear rod and cast it just as far without all the energy. Why bother with the spey? Anyway, That sounds dangerous as hell. :eek: :)

4. TallFlyGuy

TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

Media:

Ahhhh... No balls no glory!

East Fork likes this.
  5. James Mello

James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Media:
    Actually I've got the feeling that those really small daredevils and such would be much easier to cast with a fly line, not to mention you could cast it further. The larger spoons and stuff would be a beast though!

6. Hal Eckert

Hal Eckert Member

Media:
    Not done that with a single handed fly rod since I was kid trout fishing back east, fly rod daredevil spoons, silver flat fish, colorado spinners for trout. Deadly !

Definitely could do it with a spey rod and use some bigger stuff than the trout size lures. Don't forget some strong hooks though.

Well to be honest I have used jig egg flys on the spey when I had to get down real fast and stay down. No one was around of course to observe the event.

:beer2:

BG

7. Steelie Mike

Steelie Mike Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
  8. Red Shed

Red Shed "junkyard spey"

Home Page:
    ????????? I'd pick a spinning rod.

9. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    In Mt. Vernon, WA years ago a gentleman by the name of Wells developed a thin spoon for casting with a fly rod. Some up here claim that Dicknite stole the design from Wells. Don't know if that is true but do know the Wells spoon is exactly like the Dicknite except it is hand made out of thinner material. As the story goes when Wells developed his spoon there wasn't any machinery around that could press the thin material he used into the proper shape and even today these spoons (which are highly sought after) have a far better action then the Dicknite spoons because of the thinner, lighter metal used. Dicknite used a heavier gauge metal so they could be massed produced using modern machinery.

I have cast these light Wells spoons with a spey rod and they work very well. Why use a spey rod or any other fly rod to fish these light weight spoons? Much better control of the line and spoon for better placement and lure action. That’s why. The combination can be deadly for salmon, especially coho.

No one is making the Wells spoon anymore. A gentleman who had the original (I think) Wells spoon jigs died about 5 years ago and he was the last to make them.

10. TallFlyGuy

TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

Media:
    Yes, Kerry, I've thought about that a lot as well. The real advantage of a fly rod, is precise casting and covering the water well. With a spin rod, you don't know how far out you are from one cast to the next when swinging through a long run. I think this would be the key advantage to using a spey rod with a spoon/spinner/whatever else floats your boat.

11. Red Shed

Red Shed "junkyard spey"

Home Page:
    Kerry, Thanks for sharing that cool bit of angling history. It is to bad no one has taken on Mr. Wells operation. Light spoons and spinners can be killers on most game fish. I will keep my eyes open for a Wells spoon to add to my lure collection.

Tall I believe someone that is "proficent" with a spinning rod knows how far out he is fishing and can hit the same spot time after time. I am not saying a spinning rod is better than a fly rod, that is a personal decision, only that after using ultralite spinning tackle for many years, a spinning rod is the tool I would choose.

12. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:

I was refering mainly to mending line. With the long spey rod and floating line you can continue to make large mends while swinging the spoon keeping in the strike zone longer and controling the speed of the swing better just as with a fly.

fredaevans likes this.
  13. TallFlyGuy

TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

Media:
    Within a 1-2 feet every cast? Maybe if they mark their line or something. I just don't think it is as accurate as a spey rod or fly rod when covering water. I grew up on the small rivers around Idaho Falls ID, with a spin rod in hand. I'd still use it, if I had to. I just don't get excited catching those little fish like I do a Steelhead. With big skagit lines, I've always thought about the possibilities of a small spoon. I've just never tried it. Down falls would be all that line to deal with, bigger stick to pack around from spot to spot etc. So in short, I'm with you poppy, I'd still use a spin rod if I was after trout. Steelhead? Tempting.

14. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Media:
    Tall, let me get this straight.... you think a two hander is more accurate than a gear rod in placing the hook where you want it? I have to admit, I never really casted a gear rod, but in my understanding experinced gear guys can land a lure in a bowl at long distances, I can't imagine being able to drop a 70-100 ft. double spey with that precision, but then agian, I would never need to.

15. chromeseeker

chromeseeker Where's the Bucket?

I once saw a guy on the East Fork using a small KwikFish with his spey rod--it was brutal!

A good spin angler is significantly more accurate than a spey caster. Years ago I watched Stan Fagerstrom (I think it was him) cast a lure at various distances into a bucket over and over again, it was quite impressive. Good spinner anglers can pretty much dissect a steelhead run with incredible accuracy. They know exactly how far they are casting from one cast to the next.

CS

16. TallFlyGuy

TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

Media:
    Pan, The accuracy I was referring to was the length of line out every cast..... Ok, For bass and a level wind, yes they can hit a bullseye etc all they want, just like with a singlehand fly rod. With a spinning rod, not near as accurate. When covering a run swinging, you arn't "aiming" for anything really, other than maybe a "spot" you have fixated on across the river etc. (of course, I hope you knew that). It's more important to cover the water thoroughly using the same distance of line out every cast. To do that in broad sweeps, if the lenght of line out varies 3-4 feet, plus you stepping down another 3 feet, you could be off 7 feet, coservatively. With a fly line and reel, the line stays out pretty much the exact same distance every time, so you are covering the water better.

fredaevans likes this.
  17. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Media:
    No I didn't know that. See you do learn something new everyday.:cool:

I don't agree with your casting the same amount of line to cover water better, unless the runs you are fishing are uniform. I tend to rarely cast the same amount of line every cast because of varying water structure, currents,seams, and most importantly-- laziness . I make up the difference in my prepping mend, hence my statement

18. Will Atlas

Will Atlas Guest

What's the difference, 4 inch bunny leach...spoon. I'd say the spoon is probably easier to cast ;).

fredaevans likes this.
  19. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Actually it's pretty easy if your a reasonable caster; especially at the shorter of the two numbers. As has been said, you have 'x' amount of line off your reel, if the cast is 'straight' you're out the same distance cast after cast after cast.

Appears you're not familiar with 'spey casting.'

20. TallFlyGuy

TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

Media:
    LOL are you serious. That would be funny as hell to watch. Swing step, Strip out 9 feet, swing-step, Reel in 5 feet, swing-step, pull out another 7 feet, swing-step, pull out another 7 feet, swing-step reel in 12 feet swing step.:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :beer2:

gotta get a video of that man!