Small 'spoons' off the end of a dry line.

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by fredaevans, Aug 6, 2007.

1. TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

Vancouver, WA.
    Ratings: +45 / 0

Will are you a big fly hater? :)
  2. cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +244 / 0
    It is my understanding that the wobbler fly (http://www.flytyingworld.com/PagesG/gs-wobbler.htm) was designed explicitely to duplicate the action of a spoon. It uses flattened mylar tubing covered with epoxy to provide a lightweight fly with interesting action. They are far more common in the Gulf, but they may be worth a try here.

Steve
  3. fredaevans Active Member

White City, Oregon, USA.
    Ratings: +126 / 0
    iagree

I wasn't going to touch the first post with a 10' pole.:rolleyes:
  4. Panhandle Active Member

Selkirk Mountains, Idaho Panhandle
    Ratings: +23 / 0
    I’ve only been fishing with a spey rod for two years, so yes, you’re right I am new. I'm certainly not in the league as some of you. I have been steelhead fishing for my entire life with single hander and fish the same way through a run with it, as I would a two-hander. Of course the only difference is distance of cast and mending power. However, I think you misinterpreted my post. I don't cast the same 'PRESISE' amount of line through an entire run. I will cast then do an initial mend to get the swing started where I want it-- achieving a thorough, uniform swing through the run this way. Is that-that unusual? :confused:

For your personal entertainment, I will be at the Clave in September. I'll put on a comedic casting clinic for anyone who needs a laugh. Tall, you get front row.:clown:
  5. Will Atlas Guest

Ratings: +0 / 0
    Clearly...but I do speak from experience when I say tying them isnt that fun. Oh and I spent about an hour yesterday tying articulated bunny leech, just to satisfy the purist in me ;)
  6. fredaevans Active Member

White City, Oregon, USA.
    Sounds like you 'fish' a run pretty much like me. Currents change, etc., and etc. so 'each cast' won't be the same as I may do a 'flop cast' (yes it IS UGLY) to use the same amount of line but a closer/longer dead drift to swing through a section of water. A 'flop cast' is an intentionally 'busted cast' so you end up with a pile of extra line on the water. Then a HUGE upstream mend so the fly(s) have a very long (fly first) dead drift along a current seam.

PH, what 'Clave** are you referring to?

Fred

** 'Clave is the correct spelling; I know as I invented the word. A contraction of 'conclave.'
    ;)
  7. Panhandle Active Member

Selkirk Mountains, Idaho Panhandle
    Ratings: +23 / 0
    Poppy's Fred.
  8. cnaka New member

Seattle
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    Forgot my flies one day and just cleaned out my car so no stray flies around. Went to a gas station and bought some Dick Nites. Skagit head and 2-hander handled them without any problems. Kinda twisted my line up though. Not my favorite way to fish, but I wouldn't hesitate to do it again if in the same situation. Other lesson: don't clean out the car.
  9. fredaevans Active Member

White City, Oregon, USA.
    Dah Fred :rolleyes: .... failed to note you're from Sandpoint, ID.
  10. fredaevans Active Member

White City, Oregon, USA.
    Did you have (a) swivel (or two) on the leader, or straight off a solid leader?
  11. cnaka New member

Seattle
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    Straight off the leader. Should have gotten swivels as well.
    fredaevans likes this.
  12. Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Mount Vernon, WA
    Ratings: +106 / 0
    My hunting partner got all of DZ Wells spoon making molds
  13. Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +47 / 0
    I think one of the advantages of tossing a small spoon with a spey rod is the lack of lead needed. To toss out a small spoon with a gear rod you've got to use some weight, with spey rod you can choose your tips accordingly. The gear rod certainly excels at accessing deeper water, but the bug rod has the advantage for the water that's not as deep. I actually hooked a really nice coho doing this last fall when all the gear guys weren't doing well. Super fun. I'd do it again :D
    Jeff Dodd and underachiever like this.
  14. orangeradish Bobo approved

Capital City
    Ratings: +491 / 0
    The search function strikes again...

There is an advantage to using spoons on a fly rod. You'd need a bunch of lead to load a gear rod enough to cast a lightweight spoon. That works fine in heavy water, but causes it to drop like a rock in froggy stuff. The same spoon on an intermediate line just hovers. At least that's what I have read on the internet. I would never do such a thing. Ever. Honest.
    David Dalan and ten80 like this.
  15. underachiever !

suburban hell
    Ratings: +497 / 0
    I heard about a heathen using a spoon with his 9ft 5wt. Fluoro furled leader with a couple feet of fluoro tippet to fish some deep slow moving spots.
  16. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,785 / 0
    Anyone that would use a spoon on a fly rod is an elistist sombitch and likely bordering on being some sort of holier than thou casting guru.
    dfl and orangeradish like this.
  17. JS Active Member

I know some people whom employ this technique. Pretty lame, in my humble opinion, but to each his own.
  18. orangeradish Bobo approved

Capital City
    Ratings: +491 / 0
    Be quiet, you.
  19. JS Active Member

Hahaha, I was wondering when that was coming. It's all good! You of all people know that if one were to follow me around long enough they would see me do the dirty bead dance, and that is just gear fishing on a fly rod as well. I am happy to say that I have been slowly detoxing myself from these transgressions and have fished the dry line with surface or traditional bugs this year exclusively. With life changing success, might I add.
    orangeradish likes this.
  20. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,708 / 0
    Is nothing sacred any longer?

Oh, the shame of it all!