NFR Small Town Values

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by zen leecher aka bill w, Jul 16, 2013.

1. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Media:
    I went to the dedication of the Moses Lake fishing pier today. I was pleasantly surprised to see the dedication start out with the local Boy Scouts march in with the flag..... and then the mayor open things with the Pledge of Allegiance. I haven't recited that since our elementary school used to start class with it, that and a prayer.

I feel things would be better in America if we had more of that than the stuff we have(or don't have) today.

A lot of different people, associations and businesses ponied up money and labor to make it happen. Our local fly club made a donation to support local fishing activity.

2. Skysoldier

Skysoldier Trout Hunter

I completely agree Zen. I was just talking with my wife last week about how much I miss the old town BBQ's that were held 3-4 times a summer in the city park where my wife and I grew up, they were always great fun and you never had to worry that someone was going to smash your car window or other such dumb ass shit because everyone was there to have a good time and hang with friends. It's nice to know that at least in some areas people still get together for this type of event.

bitterroot and Kent Lufkin like this.
  3. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

Media:
    Small towns rock, but they suck all at the same time. I leave all my gear in my truck, usually unlocked, usually at least one or two expensive fly rod/reel setups magnified to my truck overnight. Hell I usually don't even lock my truck at night, which st most times has thousands of dollars worth of gear and tools in it. Never have to worry.
    The downside is everyone knows/ involves themselves in your lives. It's give or take.

4. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    I live in a small town. I never lock up my truck either. I keep all my fly gear in my unlocked truck. I never worry if some ass hat is going to break into it while living here. If I lived in Washington state where I used to live, all my gear would be in the house at night.

5. jjaims

jjaims Make fishin’ your mission

Man that must be nice! The only small town I've lived in was overrun with meth so it was no bueno. Can't leave anything in the car

6. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Media:
    I'll take a small town over the anonymity of the city any day. Folks say "hi", take the time to ask how you're doing, and we help each other. My experience with cities is not positive.

Jim Ficklin and Skysoldier like this.
  7. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Well, living in Lederhosenland must have some draw backs. Lots of people from all over the globe descending on your little corner of your world. They all can't be friendly. But maybe they are. No big city rushing to get nothing done syndrome.

Do any of the people driving by wave at you. They all do here in Montana, when you drive down a back road. That is. All roads off the main highways are back roads and are gravel or something like that.

8. rory

rory Go Outside

Home Page:
    I could do without the prayer.

9. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

Different strokes. I couldnt wait to get out of my small town. Was/is a nice place to visit tho.

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  10. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

I love when people act like these values only exist in small towns.

constructeur likes this.
  11. zen leecher aka bill w

Media:
    I sure didn't see it in my 40 years in the Seattle/Eastside area.

Brett Angel and Alex MacDonald like this.
  12. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

Perhaps you were looking in the wrong place?

Or looking for the wrong values?

Or maybe you just didn't appreciate/believe in the values that you saw?

I'm not disagreeing with you that these kinds of values are nice--community, neighbors, belief in something bigger than yourself--but I disagree with the implication that these values only exist in small towns.

I've lived in several neighborhoods in Seattle, and noticed great--and often very different--values in all of them.

And I've got nothing against small towns--grew up in one myself.

Gary Knowels likes this.
  13. Kaiserman

Kaiserman Phil 4:11-13

Temporarily on earth, longing for home...
    Why? If you don't believe in God...just ignore it.

Jim Speaker likes this.
  14. zen leecher aka bill w

Media:

I agree with you Jason, maybe I was looking wrong back then as I was also working full time. That affects how one looks and how long one looks.

Jason Rolfe likes this.
  15. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

I'll add this:

If you feel like these values don't exist in a place like Seattle, or you've never seen them, I'd be happy to show you some examples around town. I think you could find examples of these values in action every week of the year in just about every part of a big city like Seattle.

In fact, this afternoon there is a farmer's market nearby where I work in South Seattle. Now, you might not see people reciting the pledge of allegiance or waving flags around. But what you will see is members of the community supporting local businesses. You will see families walking together, buying produce for the week, maybe stopping by the public library for some summer reading materials. You will see friends catching up, and maybe new friendships being made. You'll see artists and musicians having the opportunity to showcase work they are proud to have made.

I could go on and on. Like I said, there might not be the chance to mindlessly recite a few simple lines of allegiance--but I think the idea of "American values" is better represented by this kind of community-built gathering anyway.

Cheers.

Jaosn

16. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

I think that's so true, sadly, for so many people. The responsibilities of work, family, life, etc, getting in the way of being able to really find those community values. I think it happens to us all sometimes.

J

17. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Please don't bring Religion into this. Some believe and some don't. Me, I choose to ignore the prayer part.

18. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    Not all small towns are created equal... I for one, find the area I grew up in to be the exact opposite of what I consider to be a wholesome community.

19. bakerite

bakerite Active Member

I think small towns are great for kids, they can run free, like I did growing up in Edmonds (on a dirt road, with 5 acres of forest at the end of it, gone by the time I was 10). They also have the opportunity to participate in more stuff at school, the center of the community and have a lot of folks who know and look out for them. It's also great for the fishing....I can count on good fishing every time I go out and will often have the spot to myself. This town has lots of kids that grow up, leave and then spend years trying to figure out how to get back!

20. Kaiserman

Kaiserman Phil 4:11-13

Temporarily on earth, longing for home...
    I didn't, and won't. You made my point for me Jim.