NFR Small Town Values

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by zen leecher aka bill w, Jul 16, 2013.

1. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

2. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

3. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

I went to grade- and high school in a small town of 3,500 in northern California. It's still that size, which says a lot about its economic prospects. I went to college in another small town where the students outnumbered the year round residents by 2:1 yet their combined total was less than 10,000.

Some folks like the idea of knowing everybody on a first name basis. Some of that's nice. Too much is, well, too much. With so little to do, most small town folks seems to specialize in knowing more about your business than you do.

Frankly, the anonymity of living in a city was and is a huge relief to the stifling, inbred quality of the small towns I've lived in.

K

GAT, Gary Knowels and Krusty like this.
  4. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Then you didn't live in a neighborhood like mine. I know all my neighbors. We have dinners together. We have keys to each others houses to let our dogs out when we'll be out late. We get each others mail when we're away on a trip. We sign for each others UPS and FedEx deliveries. But we've got privacy when we want it and nobody presumes to know what's better for your life than you do.

K

Jim Wallace and Krusty like this.
  5. Krusty

Krusty Active Member

Some communities within large cities manage to develop a real sense of 'community', and some small towns never manage to do so. I've spent some time in small wheat country towns that are very insular...you would always be considered an outside interloper even if you'd lived there twenty years...you have to be born there to ever be fully accepted. I've been in small mountain towns of equivalent size that were extremely welcoming.

Towns take on the personalities of their inhabitants...and tend to reinforce certain shared group behavior dynamics.

Lugan and Jim Wallace like this.
  6. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

I can do without Democrats, Republicans, Liberals, Conservatives, Baptists, Muslims, African Americans, Hispanics, Asians, Heterosexuals, Homosexuals, Lesbians, basically anyone who has to have a label other than their name...and small minded folks who won't give others the freedom to think, believe, pray, love, live, and ultimately die as they damn well please.

Welcome to RoperTown...wouldja like a cold beer?

7. rockthief

rockthief Fly fishing = food for my soul

what's with the hijack?

8. rockthief

rockthief Fly fishing = food for my soul

Having our annual pasture party in August, the 17th I believe. There will be lots of cold beer, wine and soda, a tables ladened with good food. Anyone want to come and meet some fine small town folk? Let me know. I am the designated cook. :)
    Paul

9. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

As a liberal, atheist, heterosexual white male; I support your right to pray to whomever you wish whenever you wish.

Gary Knowels likes this.
  10. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

You got my back, I got yours...you LAHWM you....

11. Trustfunder

Trustfunder Active Member

I just recently noticed this as well while attending the Drummond rodeo. They payed tribute to veterans in the community from all the wars, what shocked me is the tribute to these people from the audience, everyone stood, many took off there hats, polite, quite and no one sat down 4to5 min until the truck left the arena in applause. Usually at these events there's a few loud drunks, a bunch of kids running loose or something of this nature. I watched as a group of young men showed genuine respect for the veterans and the flag, a proud moment to know that the younger generations still gives a damn.

12. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

God, Guns, and Guts!!!
    In God we trust!!!
    This country was based on the belief in God, on the freedom to believe in what ever Higher power you want to, or worship, you choose.
    I believe there is a power greater than myself and I call it God.
    Pray in school, pray in the bedroom, pray on the streets, makes no difference to me.
    Our country has gotten way off track, big town, little town, a lot of lost, misguided people everywhere.
    Government is in the shitter, etc. etc.
    I choose to live in a smaller community, which is way to big, but I'm not moving any time soon to some place smaller.
    Thanks for the freedom to say what I want, believe what I want and to own a firearm to defend those rights.
    Just my .02

Jim Speaker likes this.
  13. Flyborg

Flyborg Active Member

FYI Kalama Fair is going on this week. Stop by the fairgrounds on the way up the river for a dose of small town awesomeness. The difference between a small town fair and anything else is astounding. Reminds me of the Threshing Bee's my grandpa used to take me to.

14. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

I started this thread as a positive thing about a "dock warming" when the Moses Lake Walleye Club turned it over to the city of Moses Lake. Our fly club is looking at the pier for use in casting lessons.

Jim Speaker likes this.
  15. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

I try to ignore all the small town gossip in my area, and try to never pass any of it along or originate any. Hence my conversations here are few and short.

When I first moved to Westport in 1985 so that it would be easier for me to go surfing whenever the surf was good, I rented a house across the street from a small mom & pop grocery. I has just received a lump sum, an entire years pay!!! in a buyout offer negotiated between my union and the transportation company where I had worked.
    In other words, I was on permanent surfari and in partying mode, with Westport as my base of operations, at least for the rest of the Summer and most of the Fall. I mentioned this to the owner of the grocery store the very afternoon I moved in and walked across the street to buy some beer.
    The very next morning, a local surfer friend of mine, who is a contractor, was pouring concrete down near South Bend, at a location 40 miles away. The concrete truck driver asked him if he knew of the surfer who just moved to Westport after having gotten a buyout from the RR!
    My friend told me that you can fart here and the gossipers will complain for a radius of a good 50 miles. I think he was understating the problem.

I'm sure that my presence and antics spawned entire runs of imaginative verbiage, but I never gave a shit about that. I've never liked being around gossipy types, and I wouldn't want any of them as friends, anyway. Some of my surf buddies even started a few really bad ones about me, just for laughs.

16. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Active Member

"Small town" and "big town" is mostly relative. I lived in Seattle for around 10 years (college through most of my 20's), and the one-block-square around my house had enough of a community feel that it was fine at that time in my life. But it wasn't a place that I wanted to raise a family, that's for sure. No space, too many mornings waking up with keg cups in my yard, too many times finding people pissing on my fence (mostly from parties at the house across the alley from us), and too many crappy "bands" that liked to play bad music late into the night on weekdays (also at the house across the alley from us). And outside of that little area, there was definitely a "city" feel that I was used to, but didn't particularly enjoy.

I moved to what I consider to be a small town. People almost always say hello, or at least smile at each other, when they pass on the sidewalk. There are three or four big city-wide events each summer that involve closing down the roads in town. I'm not even sure if I have a key to my front door, although I usually lock it when I'm gone, but mostly because the dog can open it, which allows the cats to get out. And they aren't really suited to contend with the other critters out there. It was a shock when the city put the fourth traffic light in. But it helps manage the tourists. Watching people that still don't understand how to use the two-lane roundabout at the off ramp still bugs the hell out of me. And there's a Bartell's being built right now. I don't know why in the hell we need a Bartell's. I see more elk and deer around my neighborhood than I do people (there's actually a pair of young elk munching my back yard as I type this), and I don't really know my neighbors at all, but it's because we're all pretty spread out. I'm fine with that. It means I can go outside and take a piss anywhere I want, any time I want, and the only people that will see are my family. My wife may not especially like it, but since I'm the only guy in a house with three women, she allows me that little bit of guy-ness. When I do meet my neighbors, the exchanges are friendly enough to let me know I'm comfortable with them.

Now, when I do go back to Seattle, I smile, or nod, or at least acknowledge the people that I pass on the sidewalk because it's a habit. Usually, they look at me like I've got a third arm growing out of my forehead, and give as wide a berth as possible to move past. Funny and sad at the same time. Having Seattle close by is still a good thing, but there's now way I'd ever want to live there again.

17. Greg Price

Greg Price Love da little fishies

I love small towns. I have not been able to live for very long in small towns, so maybe that is why I like them.

I lived in an worked in Walla Walla for a couple of years during college. I knew approx 1 our of 3 faces when I would walk downtown during the day. I did not know their names, but they were college students or customers at my restaurant.

I guess the "grass is always greener" on the other side of the fence.

18. golfman44

golfman44 Coho Queen

There are still some diamonds in the rough in terms of small town atmosphere/communities within the Seattle/big-city areas. My high school did harbor this mentality. We could leave backpacks, laptops, cars unlocked, anything anywhere on campus and never worry about it being touched. You would constantly see $2000 apple laptops sitting outside on the pathways all day -- only to be picked up by the owner hours later.

Granted this is a high school and not a neighborhood but my point is you can still get that atmosphere anywhere as long as the right people are involved. Not only that, but people/educators are still teaching this way of thought/trust-building to younger generations. If immature, 14-18 year olds can do this, then anyone can. Don't lose all hope.

19. GAT

GAT Active Member

"Small towns" are great. I was born and raised in one in NE Oregon. The KKK needs someplace to reside. Just kidding, just kidding... sorta. :D

Gary Knowels likes this.
  20. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

All those small town gossipers must lead really boring lives, since the moment they start gossiping, I get bored to tears and leave to go do something interesting.
    Once or twice (can't remember), I drove thru a town named "Boring" in Oregon on my way to do some skiing on Mt Hood. Almost fell asleep at the wheel!:D