Smallmouth on the west side of the sound?

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species' started by august, May 22, 2011.

1. august Member

Bainbridge Island, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Does anybody know of good or decent smallmouth fishing in the bainbridge, kingston, hood canal area? Im looking to find some smallmouth, and Id rather not take the ferry over to the other side. realized i knew plenty of lakes with largemouth over here, but ive never really targeted smallies on this side. im not trying to get anybodies secret spots, im just lookin to get started, any spots are welcome. thanks a lot guys
  2. simple monkey New Member

Port Orchard, WA
    I've been fishing on the western sound for sometime and can't ever remember catching a small mouth. I've caught a couple strange fish locally; a carp out of Long Lake (while it was still open), and a plecostomus at horseshoe a while back, but no small mouth. There are largemouth and crappie in quite a few lakes in Kitsap County. Don't quote me about the smallmouth though, I'm still learning as a fisherman.
    Interesting topic though, I hope someone with more experience can chime in.
  3. I know Leland is a great lake for bass, not sure about small mouth though
  4. august Member

Bainbridge Island, WA
    yeah thats what ive found, plenty of largemouth and no smallies. its funny considering how much good smallmouth water there is on the other side
  5. Jim Mcallister AKA stillwater guy

Olympia, WA
    Black lake in oly has some around the reef in the middle of the lake .I would some of the local Bass fishing web sites for more info .But I wouldnt tell them your a fly guy .
  6. august Member

Bainbridge Island, WA
    i actually know a few guys who are big on fishing the local tournaments but i have never fished with them. i talked to one and he said they are real thin on this side, he mentioned black lake though. guess for now ill have to keep heading to the other side
  7. Van BT's New Member

Silverdale, WA
    Try island lake in shelton, I've caught a few down there. Hell of a drive though. Black lake also has some.