SMB detour

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species' started by Shawn West, Jun 8, 2012.

1. Shawn West Active Member

Vancouver,Washington
    Ratings: +111 / 0
    My vacation ended on Wednesday, and I had to drive back to Vancouver. My plans were to stop near the Dalles area to streach my legs and chase the local bass. The weatherman promised the wind would be around 6mph. While driving west on 84, it was apparent the weatherman got it wrong. The Columbia was full of whitecaps. I did stop to take a look around, but fishing was out of the question.

As I continued west towards Vancouver, I noticed the wind was not so bas around the Bridge of the Gods. I crossed the bridge and launched the float tube at one of the nearby lakes. There just happened to be a fellow flyfisher from the CSF club. I chatted with him for a few minutes. He had caught 2 smallies of 17" and 14" using a chrono. I went to the rock piles and started throwing a baitfish imitation. Using a slow pause strip retreive, I managed to catch a 3 pound SMB. She managed to put up a pretty good fight. This is my way of breaking up a road trip.
    [IMG]
    I managed to catch another 12" SMB shortly after catching the larger fish. They were the only fish caught in about 2 hours of fishing. I also caught 2 sculpins on a Clouser Minnow.

The larger fish did not show any signs of bedding. The tail is clean. I did not check the water temperature, but my guess would be it was in the upper 50's to lower 60's. If the warmer weather would stick around, we may just get some spawning action.

Shawn