Smelt Pattern

Discussion in 'Patterns' started by Greg, Mar 31, 2002.

1. Greg Member

Gig Harbor, WA, U.S.A.
    Ratings: +13 / 0
    Another effort, this time trying to imitate a smelt. I think the eyes need to go further back. Comments? Suggestions?

Greg

Attached Files:

2. ray helaers New Member

Ratings: +0 / 0
    Sweet. Is it some synthetic topped with peacock? Have you ever tried yak tail? You have to clip the ends so the fibers aren't very tapered, but it is very glossy, translucent, just stiff enough, and very cheap.
  3. Greg Member

Gig Harbor, WA, U.S.A.
    Thanks for the comment. Poor photography, I know. Actually, its white bucktail with an veil of pearlescent green angel hair for luminesence. After the body is formed, I used a small amount of the angel hair tied in at the head to "veil" the bucktail body. Topping is peacock angel hair. Fluorescent red chenille for the gills. Head is epoxied with Softex to just behind the gills.

Neat "trick" I learned to getting fullness in the body: tie a small amount of bucktail in at the tail. Then, tie a small amount of buctail forward of that on top of the hook shank with tips falling short of those from the tail. Then tie in a small amount of bucktail on the underside of the hook shank just forward of the one tied on top, this time with tips slightly forward from the ones that were tied in at the top. Finally, another small amount of bucktail, again on the top of the hook shank and slightly forward than the one tied on the bottom. Hope that made sense. Basically, work in small stages over and under to the head.

I've done several ties with yak hair. Not really sure if I like it or not on the baitfish patterns, however. It does offer translusence
    but doesn't seem to taper in well to form the body for me.

Greg
  4. nicoldrysdale New Member

victoria, bc, canada.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    hi Greg,

Your pattern is very good.

Yes, i'd put the eyes back but just a smidge.

It's common opinion in these parts ( Vancouver Is.) that Chinook attack baitfish head on - so this hook location is perfect. But from what i understand coho attack bait fish from the back - if this is true, then the design might result in missing some coho because of short takes. A trailer hook would prevent this or an Xlong shank.
    Are these attack behaviours of chinook and coho shared by fishermen in your area?
    cheers

nic
  5. Greg Member

Gig Harbor, WA, U.S.A.
    Nic,

Thanks for the feedback. From the strikes I've witnessed, I'd say your thoughts on attack patterns of both species is pretty much the same here; good point on setting the hook further back...thought about a longer shank hook at the time, but went for this one instead. Next version will be longer. I've missed several strikes on this pattern already and I'm sure location of the hook was the problem although I have also caught several resident coho on it as well. Again, thanks for the constructive criticism; its well appreciated.

Greg