Smith's Boat Shop 8' Pram

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by yellowlab, Apr 1, 2010.

1. yellowlab

yellowlab Active Member

My new stillwater rippin' lip machine. I'll be adding the front and back anchor systems, Thomas pocket pullers, new Featherlite oars, seat with back support and vibrating massage option, and flat screen TV with DVD and MP3 hookup.

BTW... if anyone is looking for a bigger boat, I just posted the 10' boat on the classifieds.

2. davec

davec New Member

Very nice boat!
    Two questions: First, what kind of plywood? Second, How to contact Smith's Boat Shop?
    Thanks
    DaveC

3. yellowlab

yellowlab Active Member

4. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Very nice pram. Clean lines and build. How much does that beauty weigh?

I read the article in your blog. Great read! I also noted the pic with the pram loaded on roof racks. Doesn't at all look too big for car-topping. Sweet!

5. yellowlab

yellowlab Active Member

The 8' weighs in at 45-47 lbs if I recall. Shes really light and easily car topped. The 10' boat is pictured on the back on my truck rack and in the bed is the 8'. Its a good set up to transport 2 prams and gear and great to camp and fish here in WA and in BC. I think my SpringCreek weighs in at 57-60 lbs, a little heavier, but two completely different materials. I have a feeling that I'll be fishing out of the wood boat more frequently.

6. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Awesome pram! I hope to have one someday. Your pram and outing to the shop brings back good memories. I used to have one of the Pelican sailboats made by Fred and Don and it was a great little boat. I have fond memories of races at their place followed by potlucks featuring lots of fresh seafood and sailing/camping trips with them out to Pelican Beach. Good times. I'm glad that Fred is still at it!

7. Michael Nelson

Michael Nelson Old And In The Way

Those wood prams have such a warm, organic feel about them. I really like them aside from the maintenance aspect. They don't need that much, but you do have to stay on top of anything that goes through the finish to the wood.

Very pretty boats though, congratulations!

8. Richard Torres

Richard Torres Active Member

Beautiful piece of work!
    I especially like the clearcoat finish to show off it's natural colors.

9. papafsh

papafsh Piscatorial predilection

Nice little boat 'fer sure, but the work shop is awesome! just the kinda' place a guy likes to hang out in.

LB

10. yellowlab

yellowlab Active Member

Oh yeah! Theres a nice wood stove in there, an outhouse off to the side, radio, refrigerator, and views towards Anacortes. I think Fred's shop is bigger than his home. He has been there for 62 years and spent $3000 to build the house.

11. yellowlab

yellowlab Active Member

I thought the Spring creek was built to the same specifications as the Smith boat, but the Smith boat is 4" wider and lighter?!??!?! Go figure.... Just added the Fish mounts with Thomas extension arms and Pocket pullers.

12. jcalderon

jcalderon Member

Nice dude! cant wait to see it on the water.

13. Michael Nelson

Does it have sand mixed into the resin / finish on the floor to make it non-slip? Kinda looks like it from the pics. Please swap out those Scotty mounts for some nice brass ones.... the plastic is all wrong for this beautiful boat!

14. yellowlab

yellowlab Active Member

Yes, it does have an anti slip floor bottom. If you can suggest a brass one that fits the Thomas extension arms, Im all ears. The only brass sockets that fit the Thomas pullers are 1/2" diameter but if you use them without the extension arms you'll have an anchor punching through the bow or transom. I thought about it forward and backwards, but opted for the Fish On mounts, Scotty's don't adapt with the Thomas extension arms. If there is a brass product with the inner diameter, would love to know of the manufacturer...

15. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Yellowlab, the first step in freeing yourself from this "serious pram addiction" is to admit you are hopelessly addicted to pramming. Then seek help.
    Fortunately, I am willing to help. I'll gladly take those prams off your hands. I'll even come and get 'em. I personally don't have a pram addiction problem, having only one pram in my fleet of 4 boats at this time, and its not even a true pram, just a mini-drifter that kinda looks like one. I'm sure I can handle one or two more without losing it and slipping over the edge. I think I can make room in my garage for those beauties! Just let me know! Thanks!:D

16. yellowlab

yellowlab Active Member

Jim, I am selling the 10' boat, $750 and it could be showcased in your garage with your want to be pram called the drifter... you might like it so much that in fact your old boat might drift on out.

17. yellowlab

yellowlab Active Member

I had the opportunity to water test for the first time my new boat. Let me say that I am a believer in these boats and just amazed at how well they track and how lightweight they are. Its wider than my Spring Creek Classic, lighter, easier to row and more stable. I got a bunch of compliments from other fisherman, something that I rarely or never get in any of my other fiberglass or aluminum boats, with the exception of the Koffler. Yes, there is a bit more work to do with the upkeep, but I'll take it as a labor of love.

18. Michael Nelson

Sure is a nice-looking craft, Paul. I have noticed the same thing about my Hopper II though.... as cool a boat as it is, nobody ever compliments it until they fish out of it. Fact is, it's kind of homely looking. Your Smith's is a work of art.

19. yellowlab

yellowlab Active Member

Thanks Michael. Did you end up selling your Hopper recently? Saw that someone was hot to trot from Kienes board.

20. Michael Nelson

He is supposed to buy it this coming weekend. Hope so. After being laid off, I can use the money. I do have the NFO Outlaw Rampage that I will use to fish out of and it's a heck of a lot easier to get into and out of my place in SF.