Smoked Almonds

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by Jeff Dodd, Dec 21, 2013.

1. Jeff Dodd

Jeff Dodd Active Member

Media:
    I am smoking almonds today to give as a gifts to my Mother in Law and a healthy snack for the bowl game season.

Last year I did butter and salt, this year I am doing olive oil, salt and sugar.

Any recipes you can suggest for future batches?

I am using the Kirkland brand almonds. I don't think you can really go wrong but I have not yet reached perfection. I bough a perfect bag of smoked almonds at a roadside stand in Napa Valley a few years ago. They were so good I had to try making my own. So far, mine are just good, not mout-watering-perfection good.

IMG_20131221_125819_886.jpg

Dan Nelson likes this.
  2. Porter

Porter Active Member

Curious as to what type of salt you used? Regular table? ...Sea salt? .... Pink?

3. Jeff Dodd

Jeff Dodd Active Member

Media:
    Stayed with the Kirkland theme and used the sea salt Costco sells in the grinder.

Turned out pretty good but I may experiment with liquid smoke on the next batch.

4. MT_Flyfisher

MT_Flyfisher Member

Jeff -

I buy almonds from Costco all the time, and bake them in the oven, but have never tried smoking them - for one thing, I don't have a smoker.

However, the liquid smoke sounds worth a try, as does the sea salt, although I haven't been salting mine until now - I do mix my almonds together with salted sesame sticks though. I think I'll also try doing some in olive oil.

When you smoke them, how long do you leave them in the smoker?

Thanks, John

P.S. Sounds like a good fishing snack too.

Jeff Dodd likes this.
  5. Jeff Dodd

Jeff Dodd Active Member

Media:
    Hey John. Thanks for the idea on mixing the almonds with other snacks, that would extend the life of the batch!

I had these in the smoker for about 2 hours and 3 pans of chips. I attempted to keep the heat at 250 - 300 degrees. I will smoke another batch next weekend.
    Let me know how it works if you try the liquid smoke.