Smoker Question: Please help

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by fishingwido, Oct 28, 2009.

1. fishingwido New Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Hi all. Thanks for responding. I am looking for advise on what smoker to buy my husband, who is an avid flyfisherman. He mostly smokes salmon but I think he would like to branch out to other meats. Right now he uses an ancient Little Chief (electric). I am looking to get him a new electric smoker and not spend more than $350. Does anybody have any advice?

I do have a couple of specific questions: 1) It seems stainless steel is better that black (I base that theory solely on the price), is it really that much better? Should I spend the extra money to get stainless? 2) I am looking at the Bradley that requires you to use their brisquettes....is that a pain in the butt to have to get their brisquettes rather than wood chips?, and 3) In put on whether the Masterbuilt or Bradley is better- they seem comporable to me?

Thanks so much for your input!
  2. bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

Montana
    Ratings: +215 / 1
    Hi fishingwido!

I'm sorry to say that I will not be able to answer your questions because my only experience with smokers is with the variety that use charcoal as the source of heat. Hopefully someone else will chime in with an answer for ya. But I will say that it's very nice of you to buy your fishing husband a new smoker. My hat is off to ya!:thumb:
  3. Mark Walker Active Member

So. Cal.
    Ratings: +225 / 1
    Not ashamed to say I have one of these and like it for it's ease of use and capacity. Stainless is nice looking, but it's a colossal pain in the a** to keep it that way and has no effect on performance. (Like $200 lipstick). Temp is easy to control so you don't have to constantly fuss with adding charcoal/ fuel wood. The amount of "smoke wood" and frequency added is your choice. Price is right, too.:thumb:
    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3342513
  4. Zack Dudley Take em'

Port Orchard, Washington
    i was about to suggest the same smoker my buddy has it and he likes it a ton! AND you can put a lot of meat in it too.
  5. FLGator Member

PNW
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    I'd recommend you spend a few more dollars and go with a Traeger. It'll be an expense that is well worth the money based on the versatility and enjoyment for many years.
  6. Michael Thompson the flavor of BADFISH

camano island wa
    get him an old fridge, a heating element, and thermometer. My buddy and I just made a smoker out of an old coldspot fridge. instead of going all out with a thermostat we put some adjustable vents on it (drilled holes and covered them with duct tape). it works great, so far we have smoked a bunch of humpys, some ribs and a brisket that is so good it makes you cry.
    Then with the money you save buy him some fishing gear.

BTW stainless is purely for looks, until you touch it. then it looks like crap unless you constantly clean it.
  7. Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Mount Vernon, WA
    Ratings: +106 / 0

Plus you can get those plastics smells mixed in with your fish and game. Yum Yum
  8. Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Mount Vernon, WA

Plus you can get those plastics smells mixed in with your fish and game. Yum Yum:beathead:
  9. Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Mount Vernon, WA
    I use a big chief with the blanket insulation, smokes most salmon in about four hours. Unless he smokes more than five salmon at a time or three or four turkeys I don't see the need for it. PM me
  10. koolminx Member

Gorst, Washington
    If it's not a full requirement of going to Electric I HIGHLY support the Brinkman that I have. I smoke and cook everything from trout to salmon and Brisket and burgers to Turkey's and Pheasants!

By fat the best smoker and cooker in the entire universe! :)

It's a Brinkman, Smok'n Pit Professional, and it's the best ever! Black iron is just as good as stainless in this case.

[IMG]
  11. Michael Thompson the flavor of BADFISH

camano island wa
    perhaps i should have added that the insides were gutted, scrubbed down with a two part cleaning solution, torched and left to smoke for a week to get rid of "plastic smells"
  12. bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

Montana
    Ratings: +215 / 1
    Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker. It won the Jack Daniels a couple years ago and it was up against every other possible smoker on the planet, including those trailer mounted units costing tens of thousands of dollars.
  13. Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Mount Vernon, WA

:thumb::thumb:
  14. Randy Diefert aka: Longears

Coupeville, WA, USA.
    I like my propane fired smoker that I got from Wally world for doing fish, beef and turkeys in. I haven't been disappointed yet . It keeps the heat at a uniform temperature and because it uses a bowl of water above the chips; nothing tends to "dry-out" and turn leathery. you're a nice wife...
  15. Split Bamboo Member

Tacoma, Washington
    I prefer to slow smoke fish using my Big Chief. The colder outside the better. Get a few pans of chips during the evening, the fish should be ready in the morning. I prefer the taste and texture of a cold smoke. Also, dry brine!

For a hotter smoke for meats I use my Weber.
  16. Greg Armstrong Active Member

Pugetropolis
    Ratings: +358 / 0
    Koolminx, that's a serious looking smoking machine.

For my occasional needs, my "little chief" electric works well for the occasional use it gets. I tried my first batch of jerky in it last week. Tastes good, but my wife let it stay in too long and it has the consistency of boot leather. It was my fault, as I was fishing while it was smoking/drying. I'll have to try again.