Smoking Pinks?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by wyofly, Aug 23, 2013.

1. wyofly Active Member

NW Wyoming
    Ratings: +33 / 0
    It seems that the preferred wood for smoking pinks is Alder. Has anyone tried Hickory, Apple or Mesquite? If so, how did it work for you?
  2. flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

I use a La Gloria Cubana Series N Robusto!
  3. DennisE Topwater and tying.

Tacoma, Washington
    Ratings: +71 / 0
    Tried Mesquite, but gives the fish a bitter taste. I'm happy with Alder.
  4. Roger Stephens Active Member

Ratings: +328 / 0
    I have been using apple for 4 or 5 years and like it better than other chips since it seems to give the fish a sweeter favor.

Roger
  5. wyofly Active Member

NW Wyoming
    Ratings: +33 / 0
    Thanks everyone. Roger thanks for the apple info. I have some apple chips and will give it a try.
  6. Jason Rolfe Wanderer

the beach
    Ratings: +373 / 0
    I've done a couple batches with Alder now, and they've turned out great.
  7. ten80 Active Member

Anchorage, AK
    Ratings: +84 / 0
    I find apple too sweet but alder hits the spot, especially if it is alder from the PNW trees rather than the stuff available at Lowes which has a very muted flavor and comes from who knows where. Alder goes well with any meat, but the same can't be said for some of the other woods (ie. mesquite and hickory)
  8. Steve Saville Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +352 / 1
    I like apple but then, I have a sweet tooth for smoked fish. Alder does a great job as well.
  9. Richard Torres Active Member

Mill Creek
    Ratings: +79 / 0
    Gotta love that alder smell, (camping memories).

Getting ready to brine up a pink for the smoker this morning...
  10. gearhead Active Member

Renton, wa
    Ratings: +45 / 0
    On my pinks this year i use three parts alder...one part mesquite....i cut the skinless strips thin, they soak up the brine good. brine is 50/50 salt, sea salt, white sugar, brown sugar, bbq sauce. i pepper before i place on the rack. 3 hrs does it for me in my little chief with these summer temps. after one hour of smoking, i pour out the burnt chips, and replace the empty pan. the burnt/cooking chips is what gives the fish a bitter taste. often i will add a second partial/small pan of chips, at hour two, and then remove after 30 minutes and pour out.