smolt patterns

Discussion in 'Patterns' started by ryry82, Mar 1, 2006.

1. anyone like to share a salmon smolt pattern recipe and maybe a picture of the finished product. I would like to target dollies on the skagit and sauk rivers. Also how long does the migration last? Would you recommend swinging them on a tip or dead drifting on a floater?
    any info much appreciated.

ryan

2. Ryan...

I have a couple of patterns that might work for you. I used them on dollies in southeast AK in the spring with the outmigration of smolts from lakes and they worked well. Let me dig around and I will post an example/recipe this weekend.

Steve Cole

3. Ryan,

As for techniques you can probably catch them both nymphing or swinging, just do what you prefer. Try a white or flesh colored rabbit strip leech, folks catch them on other colors to though. They're not terribly picky. I think it's more important to make sure you're fishing the right type of water.

4. Look up Bob's little chum baby...or any of the alvin patterns might work as well. I have a few but the names escape me right now...

:cool:

5. Thanks steve, ibn, and scott. Ill be in search of dollies on monday and tuesday on the skagit/sauk, and am currently loading up on diff patterns. Look forward to seeing those patterns steve. thanks again. :)

ryan

6. Tie a clouser in grey/silver/white.

tough to beat for speed, economy and ease...plus it catches well.

IMHO, and YMMV
    Mark

7. Ryan...

Here is one of the patterns I mentioned that we used during the spring around Juneau. Simple tie:

Hook: Mustad 3407 Stainless Size 8
    Thread: 6/0 Olive or Black
    Wing: Olive Polyhair
    Topping: 4-5 strands of gold flashabou
    Eye: Large nickel bead eyes

Really simple but totally effective fly with no body by Brad Elfers, Juneau Flyfishing Company.

Let me know the results if you fish it.

Regards

Steve

8. Thanks Steve, I've tied up a dozen different patterns, including yours and ill be out tomorrow trying them out. Ill let you know how I do. Thanks.

Ryan