Snakes still out and about?

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by Smalma, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

I'm thinking about taking Cassie to the east side to chase some "real" birds but as a young dog I'm a little worried her interaction with rattlesnakes. Watching the weather it does not seem it has been cold enough yet in the "Basin" to have "denned" the snakes. Are they still active?

Today is Cassie 18 month birthday and after nearly a 2 week lay-off; she cut herself pretty badly chasing a pheasant though a barb wire fence fill got her back into the field. Took her out yesterday morning and walked a local bay front dike and managed 2 snow geese and then after lunch hit a nearby release site. She picked up right where she left off. In spite of being an "off day" in just a couple hours she managed to find 5 birds (flushed one on the way back to the truck after getting the "limit". In spite of her covering lots of ground she is mostly in range; 4 of the 5 flushes were nice easy shots (but somehow I managed to miss one). Her tracking skills are improving daily and is developing a good feel of where the pheasants might be. While there are still some "puppy issues" I think she is ready for the next level and trip to the east side to chase some wild birds.

Curt

ganglyangler likes this.
  2. Kaari White

Kaari White Active Member

Shouldn't be a problem. I was out in the potholes area pheasant hunting over the weekend. It was cold enough to keep the scaly critters at bay.

Good luck!

3. 2506

2506 Member

Yakima Canyon on Sunday...be careful.

Snake.JPG

4. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

saw a bull snake while hiking today, so they're still out & about. Might be chilly overnight, but it's warm during the day now, so the little slithering things are looking for warmth.

5. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

As warm as it's been during the day, don't be surprised if you encounter one near a den, tho temps next week may fix that. As for "wild birds," it's been slim pickings so far. Either I've made poor choices in where to hunt & my old covers no longer produce or the paltry wild bird population didn't have a productive spring. Good luck.

6. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

I nearly stepped on a rattler last Saturday, saw three laying in the road sunning themselves also. They're out and about during the warmer hours.