Snoqualmie Pass to Stevens Pass 8/16-20/2009

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by rooinater, Aug 24, 2009.

1. rooinater

rooinater aka "JAWS"

I met Dicentra about a month ago and we got to talking about this section of the PCT and decided to hike it together instead of as seperate solo hikes this year. Solo hikes are nice, but having company can be a lot better, and if something happens there is less worries about no one finding my body. So Dicentra and I headed up to knock out section K of the PCT on the 16th. we averaged 15 miles per day, took a shorter day on day 4 cause of the heat and a late start and on day 5 we pulled about 18 to 19 miles out. The scenery was great, the fishing wound up mainly being caught trees. I didn't have as much time to fish as I hoped for due to a slower pace, but my main goal was the mileage and the scenery the fishing was going to be an added bonus. A detailed synopsis can be found on the links below and here's a couple teaser shots. More pictures on the blog, as soon as Dicentra gets her TR's done I'm sure she'll also post them here as well. There is also a fan page on Facebook for the blog now if you want to follow the blog but don't have a blogger account.

Pre-trip gear and food list.

Day 1 Snoqualmie to Parks Lakes

Day 2 Parks to Escondido

Day 3 Escondido to Deep Lake

Day 4 Deep Lake to Deception Lakes

Day 5 Deception Lakes to Stevens Pass

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. scottflycst

scottflycst Active Member

Thanks for sharing your trip with us! Looks like some totally awesome country. Great pics.
    I wants to be there.

3. uncoolperson

uncoolperson *splash* *splash* *splash*, I need a life vest

4. rooinater

rooinater aka "JAWS"

Awesome! It's on my list to hike after I finish college, so roughly in another 5 years. It says he's headed to Cascade Locks, is he going to PCT day at the Cascade Locks on Saturday? There's a big party/event for Thru and section hikers. I'll be down in Oregon camping at the PCT day this weekend.

5. uncoolperson

uncoolperson *splash* *splash* *splash*, I need a life vest

he's probably 50+ miles past the cascade locks by now, he was dropped off there sunday to restart his trip after a couple day break for a friend's wedding.

6. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Cool report Jared. I like your blog with all your diy ultralight backpacking gear. So how do you fare after several days of eating when your total cooking consists only of heating water? I haven't gone there yet, but am interested.

Sg

7. rooinater

rooinater aka "JAWS"

I generally eat better meals on the trail than at home since usually their is more planning involved. This trip I made it more repetitive than normal due to college finals, a lack of cash, a 2.5 year relationship falling apart and the works of anything that could go wrong prior to the trip... So my planning was cut severely short. Just cause they are just add water meals doesn't mean they aren't awesome, it actually makes them better cause I don't have to clean a mess up when I'm tired at the end of the day and the "pot" doesn't smell like food to attract animals. Also since they are dehydrated and not freeze dried they taste pretty much the same as before they were dried. I dry pasta, beans, chili, and tons of taco seasoned and unseasoned ground turkey, and mix and match with stuff, presently running the dehydrator to start building up my backcountry pantry so that I have everything on hand. This trip I made a burrito mix which was about 3/4 cup of rice and 1 cup of dehydrated taco meat. It made 2 huge burritos and was a fairly good highlight of the trip. I used taco bell hot sauce packets to season to taste. If I would of had the time to I would of ran the diced tomatoes, bell peppers, and refried beans through the dehydrater and I would of substituted some of them for the excess rice. The chili mac was just a dehydrated can of Nalley Turkey Chili and 3 to 4 ounces of cooked and redried pasta, which makes it an instant pasta that doesn't need to be cooked. For lunches a couple days I had dehydrated canned chicken. Basically I broke the chicken up as well as possible and ran it through the dehydrator. An hour before lunch I started a cold rehydration. In about 30 to 40 minutes it's good for lunch. Take a break add some dried beans, some mayo packets, mustard and a tortilla and your eating away. Breakfasts I rotated from 2 Cups granola with dried fruits, 1/3 cup dried milk and just added water to make cereal. The other breakfast was a crunch wrap from Teresa's book.

I'd suggest taking a look at www.onepanwonders.com and www.trailcooking.com

These sites and books simplified my cook kit requirements, lightened my food weight and allowed me to eat better food while saving weight along the trail. If you want to lose a lot of weight out from your cooking system, a lot of ultralighters and lightweight backpackers have been switching their cooking styles to some sort of FBC style or those who fear plastic stick with one pot meals. I started out backpacking with a MSR simmerlite white gas stove a big bottle and 1.3L pot to cook and simmer stuff... Now I'm down to a 4oz cook kit (which is lighter than just the 1.3L pot and lid by 2oz)and this trip I brought 6 esbit tabs (1/2oz per tab) but only needed 4 tabs to cook all my meals and warm some water for my morning Java Juice. A lot of their recipes are designed around just grabbing stuff on the go through the store and making some of your meals. Not all of them, but a good portion which helps out if you don't have the time to do a lot of preparing of your food and/or are resupplying along the trail from a store. If you have the time you can dehydrate beyond what is in the book and save even more weight.

I've been using this cookset all season and it's been working awesome. A whole 200+ trail miles this season and counting.

8. Dustin Bise

Dustin Bise Active Member

are u able to make any sort of trail breads with this method?

9. rooinater

rooinater aka "JAWS"

not very well with my 4 oz cook system, Esbit doesn't really burn long enough to faux bake or fry anything. If I went back to an alcohol stove, or with my slightly heavier 2 person cook system (~10.15oz)I can do faux baking, MBD dry baking or fry some just add water biscuit mixes. The problem for me is you need to carry a little more fuel and have enough patience to wait a couple extra minutes for the steam baking, and whatever you bake them in might require cleaning. During long trips there's not much of a chance that I will bring extras, overnight trips or for the weekend that can be a different story. Granted if you use those super feet silicone things I couldn't imagine there would be much cleanup with the silicone. Generally at the end of a 15 to 20 mile day of walking I'm ready to just kick back or go to sleep. A little more weight can be saved by using an alcohol stove for faux baking, you'll need to adjust the distance to the flame so that it's not blaring away. With the alcohol you save the weight of the 2 to 3 oz empty canister and now-a-days you can get some fairly efficient alcohol stoves with remote reservoirs. My 10+ oz cook kit includes a 1.3L Ti Evernew pot, Coleman F1 ultralight canister stove, spork, lighter, heat reflector and windscreen. As for canister stove windscreens. I'd suggest using Ti sheeting or a regular aluminum sheeting for this project, the pie pans only last a few trips, but greatly increase the fuel efficiency of the canister stoves by adding a heat reflector and protection from the wind.
    http://rooinater.blogspot.com/2009/05/myog-canister-stove-windscreen-and-heat.html

inherently baking requires more clean up unless you do it self contained in something that is a throw away. ie muffin cups or something.

www.minibulldesigns.com has a lot of innovative alcohol stoves pop cans, to fully machined remote fueled 1/2 oz stoves. Granted now-a-days you have to keep an eye on his site for the stoves to come into stock. He now builds a stock of the fancy ones, posts them in the store and sells until they are gone, not just by filling orders anymore. He also sells full 7.5 to 8 oz cook kits and tons of alcohol stove accessories.
    MBD oven for alcohol stoves
    http://minibulldesign.com/mbdstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=7

there's a crap load more videos on minibulldesigns youtube page for baking on the UL

faux baking,
    brownies
    http://blog.trailcooking.com/2009/03/09/trail-baking-steamed-brownies-with-video/
    5 part Faux baking how-to, part 5 has the baking of biscuits.
    http://www.trailcooking.com/thefauxbaker

biscuit frying.
    http://www.onepanwonders.com/apps/blog/show/1221877-fry-biscuits-yum
    maple bacon fry bread
    http://www.onepanwonders.com/apps/blog/show/1221691-packit-gourmet