Snow

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by KerryS, Dec 17, 2008.

1. andycarey

andycarey New Member

[​IMG]

This morning just before I began shoveling, when that was complete we had a blizzard, then the plows came by and blocked the driveway and mailbox (that I had shoveled out) with concrete blocks of snow ....:mad:

2. Daryle Holmstrom

Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Media:
    This is your Christmas card for next year Andy or the Deer one would suffice. Great photos

3. Jmills81

Jmills81 The Dude Abides

Media:
    24 inches at my house in the Can near downriver golf course....boo ya

4. Jerry White

Jerry White Active Member

Hey JMills, I'm just up river in the West Central. Here is a pic of my VW Van... out of comission & the super hero of this week is the little '86 Toyota Pickup:thumb:... just have to keep the battery up and running... -18 below last night... At those temps the Spokane River is steaming!

Attached Files:

5. 509

509 New Member

Well, it really is no big deal. This morning it was minus 16.1 degrees at my house east of Leavenworth. The dog came into the bedroom at 3:00 am and wanted more wood thrown into the wood stove. She's a wimp of a hunting dog.

What you have to remember FlyNewbie is that it is a DRY COLD over here in eastern Washington. When we first moved here we noticed it was 30 degrees and cloudy here and 55 and sunny in Seattle. So we packed up the kid, loaded the stroller and headed over to the zoo. We damn near froze.

The next time we visited Seattle she was a teen. As soon as we crossed Stevens Pass she said...."Wow, it is really green over here."

6. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Looks as if I'll be shoveling again in the Tri Cities morning (and likely clearing the roof along about Tuesday if the forecast is correct . . . I hate it when the weatherman is right . . . ).

[​IMG]

7. Porter

Porter Active Member

So much for all the shoveling of sidewalks, the dozing and sanding of roads earlier today...it's buried under copious amount of snow.

8. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    You boys are really catching hell this year on the snow. I'm sure glad I left Washington and according to the weather page it's dumping there again.

Well we are getting a little snow here But here the flakes are small so it takes a lot of it to cover everthing. But you don't have the cold temps that I get. Was minus 4 this morning. Yesterday it was about 18 on the plus side and in two hours it dropped below zero.

Just another nice day in Montana. Just love it here.

Jim

9. jkold

jkold Member

This is more like the winters I remember as a child around here.

10. Peter Pancho

Peter Pancho Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Total of 6" here in the Key Pen of Gig Harbor. Glad I'm off today and tomorrow from work. With this weather and bad roads, its been taking me and 1 1/2 hrs to get from Gig Harbor to Silverdale.

Attached Files:

11. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide.

Cranberry Country...a glorified coastal swamp!
    We got about 3" to 5" of dry snow here at the beach yesterday. I actually had some small drifts forming in my yard, and one nearly a foot deep piled up against my back door. The E winds were really blowing it sidewise here for a spell.

Warmed up over night. Temp is hovering just about 33 F now, and snow is getting wet and will probably get slushy and then freeze to icy crap if the temp drops.

That dry snow nearly everywhere else looks much better to be out and around in. I'm holing up here, but may have to walk to the store for some more beers. I'm out.:eek:

12. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide.

Cranberry Country...a glorified coastal swamp!
    Ha Ha, We used to look forward to snow season out here at the beach, because all the Puget Sound boardheads would head to the slopes and we would have the perfect winter barrels to ourselves. We even did snow dances in hopes of a big dump between here and Oly.
    When you suite up to ride perfect winter barrels in spite of the piercing wind chill, you don't want any out-of-town kooks cluttering your lineup. You might only last an hour in those conditions, and its better to keep moving, so there's no time to wait for clowns to get out of your way.:thumb:

13. Jim Ficklin

Well, the piles got bigger, but not quite as large as the 5 at my local Albertsons (at least the Jeep is happy . . . ).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    I just got stuck in my own driveway. I have been out driving all over the valley for the last 2 days and now I am stuck in my own fucking driveway.

15. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Somebody said that the storm was coming my way. Well I got snowed on today about a 1/2 inch and then the sun came out and it warmed up to about 11 degrees. It is supposed to get warmer so if it does I'm going to see if my Quad will start and then I'm going to play in the snow.

Jim

16. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

Another 5 inches over night - looks like I'll be shoveling the driveway again (5th time). Even with settling and some melt still about a foot on the ground. I'll be glad when it starts to melt.

One thing that I'm finding interesting is the lack of snow in the mountians. A quick check at
    http://www.nwrfc.noaa.gov/snow/snow.cgi

Showed that most snow-tel sites are current less than 50% of average. Just one example is Stevens Pass which is currently at 36% of normal.

Tight lines
    Curt

17. hedburner

hedburner Member

Media:
    Mount Vernon, we're the Sketch in the heart of Ska
    I'm damn sick of snow. Called in to work this morning to puss out on driveing in this crap. In a few hours think I'll head up to a river and fish for a couple of hours. At least my priorities are straight.

18. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

The Winter From Hell-Day 1. With 2 feet on the ground Sunday morning it snowed all day and all night and is still coming down. I don't know how much is out there right now but snow is forecast every day this week. Our warmest temp in the last week was 10 so this stuff isn't going anywhere for awhile. Some bluegill fishing in a southern swamp sounds pretty good about now. Ive

19. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Hell I'm in the middle of a heat wave it is +10 this morning. It's been -10 or lower this last week. And I'm like Ive. It's so cold here this snow doesn't even think about going away. Here is doesn't melt away it evorapates away. But it does get cold here.

When we got this snow last week sometime we got almost 8". Well we have had a few little snow showers since then but nothing like Washington has got.

I feel that we are protected by the four Mountain Ranges that ring this Valley. The Continental Divide to the South ,the Snow Crest and Ruby Range to the east,the Highland range to the North and the Pioneer Mountains to the west. Dillon sits just about in the Middle of all that. And some of those ranges are pretty high.

Jim

20. Jim Ficklin

Snow forecast off & on all week here, too . . . most accumulation I can recall in 28-years & I'm about out of places to shovel the stuff. As unusually cold as it's been. I don't think it will melt . . . perhaps the piles will recede & erode away. Global warming my eye . . . I fear my 2-week vacation will be spent with shovel in hand & hooking/unhooking my tow strap & winch. The city finally plowed the neighborhood, then left a big pile in the middle of the turnaround . . . I pulled several cars out yesterday. Wish they had left it alone . . . now you need FWD to get in & out. Glad we don't have Seattle hills here. Gotta run . . . told my elderly neighbors I'd make shopping runs for them today. Stay safe.

jim