Snowbee Spey and Switch Rods

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Jack Devlin, Aug 31, 2013.

1. Jack Devlin Active Member

Western Washington, Puget Sound area
    Ratings: +960 / 1
    Anyone have any experience with SNOWBEE Spey or Switch rods? Snowbee is a UK company.
    Thanks,
    Jack
  2. Brian Thomas Active Member

Kamloops B.C
    Ratings: +120 / 0
    I have the Snowbee Torridge 12` 6/7 . I think it`s a fantastic rod . Some people call them the `poor man`s Thomas & Thomas` . I think that`s an accurate assessment .

They`re fast , with lots of power in the butt section . I like scandi heads , but they also throw skagit lines very well , and can lift a pretty heavy leader/fly combo out of the water . Deltas or Windcutters also work well on this rod .

I`ve landed fish up to about 15 lbs. with mine with no issues .

My rod has a broken tip section due to user error , and I`m searching around for a replacement tip , and if the rod was intact , it would be making the trip up to the Skeena tribs with me this year .

***Snowbee also makes great lines .
  3. Jack Devlin Active Member

Thanks, Brian. I now know that the Snowbee rods are very popular in B.C. The rod I am interested in (to start) is the Snowbee Prestige Switch rod. I have only found one place in the US where they are sold and that is in Idaho.
    Sounds like your Torridge has a happy owner.
    Jack
  4. speyghillie speyghillie

River Spey Scotland
    Ratings: +20 / 0
    Hi Guys,
    Snowbee is a marketing company in the UK, they don't actually make rods but market them as their own, and some nice little rods too.
    Nile creek on Vancouver Island distributes Snowbee, so it might be worth giving Courtney at the shop a call.
    Cheers Gordon.
    DTX Pro Staff.
    http://www.mackenzieflyfishing.com/
  5. Jack Devlin Active Member

Thank you for the input and link.
    Jack
  6. Idaho steel Active Member

Clearwater
    Ratings: +48 / 0
    I've only messed with the 12'6" 7/8 diamond, and while it was reminiscent of the T&T three piece rods, I felt it was actually a bit stiffer in the butt. Very fast, powerful rod, it will absolutely laser a 7/8 delta or vector spey line, but it does want good technique to make it go. Fit and finish was good, cork was so-so, but the reel seat is frankly dumb looking, (opinion...) Excellent, high performance rod for the money if you're looking for something crisp and fast.

As Brian noted, Snowbee also makes exceptional spey lines. However, unless they've changed things up recently, the lines don't increase in weight as they get longer, and they have a really long rear taper. Unless you know the lines, they can be a pain to match to a given rod sight unseen. They are fantastic once you get them dialed in.
  7. Jack Devlin Active Member

Idaho steel,
    Thanks. I agree on the reel seats. Seeing that style on a lot of new rods from different makers. Don't quite get it. Not to my taste for sure.
    Appreciate the feedback.
    Jack