So, curious, what's behind your avatar and username?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by formerguide, Mar 1, 2013.

1. formerguide

formerguide Active Member

Like most interweb forums, lots of interesting usernames and avatars on here. Some must have some intersting tales behind them. I'll start...

Name is easy, I did a little guiding for some time, off and on. I picked this username for the very first online forum I ever signed up for, oh, I'm guessing 12 years ago now. Over the years, it's the only name I can remember so I use it for all forums (I currently particpate on a watch forum as well, and occasionally on The Drake.)

Avatar was the first photo I found on my desktop. Picture of me and a really big bonefish, caught north of Grand Bahama, fishing with Jay and Greg from H2O Bonefish. Here is a regular size pic.

[​IMG]

So, what about yours? Some may be obvious (for example, I can only assume that Steve Saville is, in fact, named Steve Saville, if not, that must be a cool story!)

Dan

2. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Media:
    Mine is from an effective woolly bugger/leech fishing method. Nothing more. It came from back when the Troutmaster named himself and to keep up....hence the zen leecher.

formerguide likes this.
  3. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    I have been going by Old Man on here for quite a while now. Being that I'm getting on in years I stuck the Old Man handle on myself because, most people when they greet you ask "How's it going Old Man", "what are you up to Old Man". I tried my real name once, but nobody knew who I was. As for my avatar Just what ever fits my fancy. Be a cartoon or what ever I feel like putting up there.

It's either OMJ or Old Man Jim Or Shit head. Which works good also.

Bill Aubrey and formerguide like this.
  4. Dorylf

Dorylf Oregon Member

Name has something to do with the stick I use to catch all my fish these days.

I struggled choosing an avatar, but settled on a pic taken during a special trip with my brother on one of his rare visits from Japan. That trip also resulted in the largest trout (...er, well, okay, char) that I've caught in 35+ years of fishing.

formerguide likes this.
  5. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    What's wrong. Don't know how to add Picture for your avatar. I kind of remember what you looked like. But my memory is fuzzy.

6. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Avatar: 195 pound Newfoundland that goes by the name of Kuma and owns the yard around the house I live in.
    Username: Bill and Wilma gave it to me some sixty years ago. Seems to work ok.

7. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Media:
    If I did that my screen name would change to "no fish".

8. flybill

flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

Media:
    I'm "Fly" and my name is Bill! Picked it years ago when I signed up on the site and have used in on other forums as well.. I am Billfish on Speypages.com, but Flybill just about everywhere else..

My current avatar is a very nice bottle of scotch that I go the pleasure of trying about a year and a half ago.. Balblair 91! Simple I love good scotch with a fine cigar and friends on the river or on any day that ends in a "Y"!! :cool:

formerguide likes this.
  9. Big E

Big E Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Nickname: If you knew me, you wouldn't have to ask.
    Avatar: Stuffed animal named Flat Eric that was popular for some time in the UK because it was in Levi commercials. A friend of mine won it at a carnival and it rode in the front grab bar of my jeep for a year or so.

Eyejuggler and formerguide like this.
  10. rainbow

rainbow My name is Mark Oberg

Home Page:
    Well I have been on this site for over ten year's. So choosing and unused user name such as rainbow was easier. And I am a vintage fly gear collector.

formerguide likes this.
  11. Ron Eagle Elk

Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Media:
    My avatar is my go-to trout fly, Baillie's Black Spider. James Baillie invented the fly around 1835 and used it to catch trout for the local hotels to feed to their guests. While acting as a ghillie to W.C. Stewart, Baillie showed the fly and tying technique to Stewart. When Stewart later wrote The Practical Angler he stated that the fly was one he would never be without. Even though Stewart gave full credit to Baillie for inventing the fly and proclaimed him as one of the finest trout fishers of the day, the fly became known as the Stewart's Spider because he wrote the book.

Being unable to think of a catchy fly fishing oriented screen name I just used my name.

Bill Aubrey and formerguide like this.
  12. formerguide

formerguide Active Member

Haha, well played sir, that has to be the quote of the year, ;-)

Dan

13. Bob Anderson

Bob Anderson Member

A nice shot of the Missouri River just downstream from my friend Pat's restaurant "Izaak's."

formerguide likes this.
  14. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

My name is Ive, I live in Ione. The pizza is fire roasted on my grill using Fontina cheese, olive oil and garlic roasted tomatoes and fresh basil. Crunchy, aromatic and delicious!

Why a pizza? I swore I would never post a pic of another guy holding a fish out of the water. I would hope that if a fish caught me he wouldn't hold me under the water to take my picture........

Ive

15. Travis Bille

Travis Bille Active Member

Media:
    My avatar is from when Beavis and Butthead go "couch fishing".

formerguide likes this.
  16. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

I was fishcentral, then they had the "USE YOUR NAME THREAD" am I became guilty while reading everyone that changed to there names and did the same. although I don't like putting my name on a nation wide internet site I felt it a good thing and will still call people out when I feel the need!

Fishcentral I used on another forum where I got tired of all the crap and just started being a troll and just had to stop posting on that site when I found this one! the name was given to me by my native american Indian friend who started fishing with me in the early 90's. I have always been single and kind of am a ring leader for a bunch of us with drift boats and some with sleds in my local area -Portland- and put many hours on the water. many of these friends don't hang with each other but hang with me so I always know whats going on in the area for fishing Via the name FISHCENTRAL!

Now since I got heavy into fly fishing again a couple years ago he gave me a knew nick name "FISHWHISPERER" every time I call that's what he calls me. when I worked on RAILROAD GANGS building tracks the native american workers called me "kizzy-ozzy" meaning "little billy goat". they gave me the name when I was just 19 because of the job I had. not that I'm a small guy it was because I had to lift 150 pound railroad ties and press them over my head to guide them under the rail when the ground had a steep drop to it on the side of the tracks. and sometimes there were cliffs off the edge of the tracks where I would balance and work with the RR ties some 800 a day!

I am thinking of changing to one of these names!

My avatar is an Oregon rainbow trying to push 6 pounds I landed last spring over in eastern Oregon! I change my avatar every once in a while.

formerguide likes this.
  17. Flyborg

Flyborg Active Member

Media:
    My avatar is behind.

My moniker is the blend of my love for all things computer, scifi, and fly fishing.

formerguide and Chris Johnson like this.
  18. Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

I'm not much of a picture guy, but my nephew was with me on that day so it's one I have and use for my avitar. I have always use my full name on this forum. My son was a wrestler, and I used to frequent a message board about wrestling and became disheartend by the terrible things people would say to and about each other. So I decided I would always post with my name to temper what I say, and so far it has worked pretty well( Scoones has only PM'ed me once).

Anil, formerguide and Jim Wallace like this.
  19. t_law

t_law Active Member

Avatar is album art from one of my favorite bands, The Black Angels.

20. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

I was bensnuzin until nearly banned and the "use youy name" thread came along. So I picked a name from the phone book and added a scabbed pic of a handsome guy that resembles me. Sometimes I fish the salt.