So, curious, what's behind your avatar and username?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by formerguide, Mar 1, 2013.

1. rory Go Outside

Maple Leaf, WA
    Ratings: +180 / 0
    The biggest Roosterfish I have ever caught from the beach in Mexico. I have nothing to hide. That is my face, my name, and my ideas. Dan, your posts are thoughtful and engaging, thanks for joining this forum!
    Mark Kraniger and formerguide like this.
  2. tythetier Fish Slayer

WASHOUGAL, WA
    Ratings: +40 / 0
    My screen name was the first one I could think of when I signed up for this forum many moons ago... Figured wanted something with my name, and since I just started makin' bugs I would put that little bit in as well.
    The avatar was just something I found a few years back... Always thought Homer could do a better job of prez then what ever clown was in at any given time... Not big on politics, but I know how they could save the budget... Cut all the congress peoples paychecks, and make them trade in their BMW or Porsche SUV's for a minivan like other people...
    formerguide likes this.
  3. constructeur Active Member

Seattle, Wa
    Ratings: +402 / 0
    I work in heavy civil infrastructure, et ma famille parle le Francais aussi.
    Alex MacDonald and formerguide like this.
  4. skingfisher Member

surrey england
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    no avatar yet, username taken fom my name, stephen king, reason, i lived close to a near dead chemically polluted stream in london. around 18 and finally got into the country to fish. heard a piercing whistle and saw a kingfisher pass, took my breath away,and still does.
    formerguide likes this.
  5. Stonefish Triploid and Humpy Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,260 / 1
    Last name combined with fish.
    Avatar picture is of my favorite local fish, Puget Sound Coho.

PS 021.jpg
    formerguide likes this.
  6. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,572 / 0
    When I first discovered the internet I was told not to use my name in online forums, so I adopted the former Latin name for rainbow trout, Salmo gairdneri, or Salmo g. for short. My avatar is a rainbow that happens to be a steelhead.
    formerguide likes this.
  7. Evan Virnoche Guest

Ratings: +0 / 0
    Avatar- Because i saw this and died laughing. Hoping one day today catch a smoked Turkrout

Username- i lived in san diego for 5 years when i was in the military and didnt have that great of trout fishing other than the winters so i became a bass fisher men on the fly rod. And the reason behind bass turds is because you can be in the clear part of the lake and not see a bass, but find the dirtiest nastiest water and thats where the bass pooop breeed and eat. I would always tell my buddies to cast to the bass turds
    formerguide likes this.
  8. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,535 / 0
    I have absolutely no clue why my avatar is what it is. Obviously, someone was using mind control (probably a Jedi Knight) when I decided on the image.
    formerguide likes this.
  9. Citori Piscatorial Engineer

Federal Way, WA
    Ratings: +116 / 0
    Citori is the name of my favorite shotgun, at least one of them, which I hardly ever take out of the safe any more. The pic was taken by my now wife of me unhooking a smallish bone caught on a fly, but I can't recall if it was in Belize or Ascencion Bay in Mexico. She was there both times. It's to remind me of, well, memories.
    formerguide likes this.
  10. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +539 / 0
    Like some others have confessed, I changed to using my real name so that I would temper down the commentary in some of my posts. Yeah, that worked out really well. Now I have to keep changing my disguises whenever I fish some waters, so I don't get called out!
    I'm still working on this year's new look.:confused:

Avatar is a chrome searun cutt in the 14-15" class, found in a local creek just above the head of tidewater.
    formerguide likes this.
  11. formerguide Active Member

Bonney Lake, WA
    Ratings: +750 / 0
    Beautiful fish, and I see that you have the vaunted LL Bean basket. Mine cracked, I was heartbroken, best stripping basket ever made, and at least when I bought mine years ago, they were like $19.50, which seems absurd now!

Dan
  12. nomlasder Active Member

Burien.
    Ratings: +111 / 0
    The photo is one of my creations, the handle is spelled backwards
    formerguide likes this.
  13. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    Ratings: +1,224 / 0
    I forgot why I chose my avatar but I think I remember why I picked my screen name.

K
  14. Mikey_Mac Member

Seattle, Wa
    Ratings: +9 / 0
    My avatar is a picture of me on an outcrop on top of a cliff on Porcupine ridge trail in Utah. I had my buddy take it during a Mountain Bike trip to Moab in 2011.

Username is what my mama gave me.
  15. Stonefish Triploid and Humpy Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,260 / 1
    Dan,
    Just an FYI.
    These are very popular and a knock-off of the highly regarded old Bean baskets. Many board members use then and they are available at local shops.
    http://linekurv.dk/en/

SF
  16. Porter Active Member

Kenmore, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +485 / 0
    Porter = Homebrewer and multi state winner with " Dirty Deeds Porter" (and HipHop IPA, or something like that...10 years ago)

flybill likes this.
  17. Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Columbia Basin
    Ratings: +603 / 0
    Shortly after WWII ended, I became my Sainted Flyfishing Mother's "surprise" . . . seemed only right that they should give me a name & that was that. The avatar is my pup Hank's first trip of our first season together.
  18. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +539 / 0
    Was that "Dirty Deeds Porter" dirt cheap to produce, I wonder?
  19. Plecoptera Active Member

Bellingham
    Ratings: +28 / 0
    Still don't feel comfortable putting my name all over the net, so I've stuck with a fake one. Did my senior research project on invertebrates and was fascinated by the diversity and biology of mayflies and stoneflies. I think both names were taken so I went latin and figured the stonefly family was easier to spell.

Avatar gets changed up, but usually its of a fish from a place that's special to me. In this case a Silver from the river I grew up on.
  20. Dipnet aka Tim Hartman

Silverdale, WA
    Ratings: +369 / 0
    Well, my name was chosen 'cuz I couldn't post what most of my friends call me after I knock their fish off with the net (hint: Dipsh**). The avatar is of my big-boy toy that I take out in the summers. I'd put up a pic of a fish if I ever caught any!! ;)
    Bill Aubrey and Mark Kraniger like this.