So, curious, what's behind your avatar and username?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by formerguide, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Patrick Gould Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +688 / 1
    My vote for coolest avatar. Every little boy wants to be a helicopter pilot at one time or another.
  2. Richard Olmstead BigDog

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +792 / 0
    My name is, well, my name. I've never felt comfortable hiding behind a pseudonym.

My avatar shows me and my two long-time companions, Sammy and Pico (now deceased). My nickname, "Bigdog" came from my grandson, who grew up around Sammy and Pico, and their names were among the first words he learned to speak. My wife used to tell him they were "Sammydog" and "Picodog" to get him to learn the concept of 'dog.' She jokingly referred to me as Bigdog one time and it stuck. He's now 7 and still calls me "Bigdog."
    Mark Kraniger likes this.
  3. Brian Thomas Active Member

Kamloops B.C
    Ratings: +122 / 0
    The name is my real one , and because I lack originality and imagination , it was a simple route to take . The avatar is of a fly I tied that hooked a very large Thompson steelhead .
  4. Dave Evans Active Member

E. WA / N ID
    Ratings: +105 / 0
    Same as others, there was a thread on using your own name and I certainly had nothing to hide. Before that is was dogsnfish. I have two labs and my spouse has a husky. Fishing part should be obvious. Call our 22 foot trailer the mobile fish lab or the big dog kennel. Avatar is me at $3 bridge. Madison was blown out so we took some pics.
  5. Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

bellingham wa
    Ratings: +566 / 0
    My name.

Ladies and Gentlemen.............The Black Crowes.

Go Sox,
    cds
  6. Brian Miller Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout

WA
    Ratings: +66 / 0
    I prefer to use my name on the web where possible.
    The avatar... Elmer is laughing at myself as an angler. The background is the "fish house" hole on one of my Curtis Creeks.
  7. Greg Price Love da little fishies

Puyallup, WA
    Ratings: +70 / 0
    Avitar is of a fish from my favorite small steam. It is a small, wild cuttie from the S Fork of the Snoqualmie. I was "riverflyfisher" until the push to put our real names. Changed to my name and have not looked back.
  8. bakerite Active Member

Baker City Oregon
    Ratings: +82 / 0
    Bakerite came over with me from another forum because I live in Baker City, Oregon.......Really in Haines but not even people from Oregon know where that is. The avatar is my daughters dog Gus (really belongs to all of us) at an unamed lake in the Elkhorns that holds some real nice brookies.
    Mark Kraniger likes this.
  9. Darthmonkey Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +154 / 0
    On a drunken halloween rampage I somehow got ahold of a Darth Vader helmet and lightsaber while wearing a monkey suit. SDO that night happened to be my PL, next monday at PT formation he starts calling me Darthmonkey and the name stuck.

Picture is from a recent trip to NY.
  10. Krusty Active Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +613 / 0
    The avatar is just a pic I took fishing one of my favorite eastern Washington mountain lakes from my kayak.

Krusty is an old family name. My son has always been little krusty (but he's much bigger than I am, these days).

Why the name 'krusty'? Well...I'm big, bald, heavily tattooed, with a beard. I guess I have always looked 'krusty'. I'm rather proud of the fact that when I've been on my Harley (and it ain't no garbage scow of an ultra or road king) I've had full-patch members from various 1% clubs invite me to clubhouses to party. I must look like promising felon material.

Maybe it's my charm. Dirtbags in small towns wave at me...thinkin I must be one of their own. Maybe I am. Sometimes, even white trash, like me, can flyfish
  11. Chad Lewis NEVER wonder what to do with your free time

Mount Vernon, WA
    Ratings: +153 / 0
    That is freakin' hilarious.

Actually I was a Crewchief and Rescue Swimmer. Tell me every boy doesn't wanna do that!
  12. freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Edgewood, WA
    Ratings: +792 / 1
    I love free flowing, unbridled rivers, ...almost as much as I love fishing them. And, Trout Bum is still one of my favorite books on fly-fishing.
  13. airedale Member

vernon, bc
    Ratings: +17 / 0
    for the past 35 years, always 2 or 3 females roaming around the place...[breeding and showing and agility].....wife's
    interest in agility won out so now it's standard schnauzers and 1 male [rescue] airedale......he's the dude....
  14. Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

Quesnel, BC
    Ratings: +323 / 0
    The Dude
    The Dude, as in "That rug really tied the room together", Dude?
  15. Krusty Active Member

Spokane, WA
    Well...that's just like your..opinion...man.
    Jeremy Floyd likes this.
  16. Joepa Joe from PA

Joepa = joe from the commonwealth of Pennsylvania where I resided 'til '98.
    Handle image is a depiction of a Squonk, a mythical creature that in habits the hemlock forests of PA.
  17. Steve Slater Member

Madison, WI & Manchester, WA
    Ratings: +22 / 0
    Name is obvious, first name and initial. Picture was taken by a friend on a fishing trip we took last year in the cascades, near my family's cabin. It's exactly the kind of stream I dream about when fishing in the mountains. But I only get there a few times a year, since I live in Wisconsin now. Lots of great fishing here, but it's a different kind of topography.
  18. Krusty Active Member

Spokane, WA
    My son, Little krusty, informs me I look more like an 'accomplished' felon. I guess that could explain a lot.
  19. plecoptera419 Member

Mount Vernon, WA
    Ratings: +26 / 0
    I spent most of my time in college studying stream ecology, limnology, and macro invertebrates. I find stoneflies especially fascinating. One of the coolest experiences I've ever had was witnessing a massive hatch of huge stoneflies on the upper south fork of the Sauk under a full moon. I sat on a rock on the river that night and was able to watch them actually crawling out of the water onto the rocks, splitting their wing casings and taking flight. Simply amazing stuff! I make an annual pilgrimage to see this at a certain time every year.

The avatar is my first fly reel and a box flies that my dad and my grandfather tied.
    Richard Torres and Krusty like this.
  20. David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Walla Walla, WA
    Ratings: +783 / 0
    It's may name, and that's my favorite fly (to look at, not to fish). I wish I had a cool story, but alas...
    Krusty likes this.