So fishing or football?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Eric Denny, Sep 8, 2013.

1. Eric Denny It's summer time I'm fishing!!

Spokane, WA.
    Ratings: +112 / 0
    Just trying to get every ones take on this. So if you have a choice of WATCHING your team on t.v. or going to a reg fishing spot which do you do? And now lets make it a little funner guided trip or 50 yrd line seats.

I guess I will start it off. I would go fishing instead of watching a game. Now on the guided trip or 50 yrd line seats that a hard one never been on a guide trip been to a game. Guess it depends on who they are playing. If it was the 9ers wouldn't miss it.

So whats everyone thought on this??? One last thing GO HAWKS!!!!
  2. ksagee New Member

Bremerton, WA
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    You can always DVR the game. If you are fishing, chances are no one will spoil it for you and give you the game update.

You will never be able to replace a good day of fishing, that is something a DVR could never capture.

That said, nothing beats going to a great football game live. You get the sights, sounds, and smells of the game that cannot be enjoyed on the TV. Choosing between the two is a tough call.

I suppose I would choose the football game. Even with 50 yard line tickets, it would be cheaper than a guided trip.

Tight lines.
  3. Skyler Evans Active Member

Fort Lewis
    Ratings: +33 / 0
    i dont know if it would be cheaper, you have to include the 3 or 4 $8 beers and of course you cant go to a football game without a hotdog or nachos.
  4. ksagee New Member

Bremerton, WA
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    True. It would also depend on what teams were playing. If playing a terrible team, the game may not be worth the paper the ticket is printed on. It could be the equivilent of a guided trip for goldfish, or a guided trip for steelhead.
  5. Kyle Smith Active Member

Bozeman, MT
    Ratings: +267 / 0
    I will be watching the Seahawks on a perfectly drizzly dry fly day. They don't play the 'chickens that often here, so I have to take advantage of the times they are on.
  6. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,593 / 0
    If it's steelhead or salmon you're fishing for, you'd best go for the fish... they are available for a limited time offer.

Football will continue for many months but not so for the salmon and steelhead runs.

If you're fishing for something else that doesn't travel the waterways allowing only a specific window of opportunity, the non anadromous fish will still be there so watch the game.
  7. Kyle Smith Active Member

Bozeman, MT
    Ratings: +267 / 0
    Didn't we lose to all the bad teams and beat all the good teams last year?
  8. freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Edgewood, WA
    Ratings: +724 / 1
    Both. Plans can easily include fishing around choice college games... watch the early game and fish the afternoon or fish early and stop at a favorite watering hole on the trip back. If your question was specific to Seahawk's football games...I fish.
    Tony Abaloney likes this.
  9. Irafly Active Member

Everett, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +1,052 / 1
    Me, I'd fish.
  10. Skyler Evans Active Member

Fort Lewis
    Ratings: +33 / 0
    Fishing would be my choice as well.
  11. Old406Kid Active Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +87 / 0
    Fall is my favorite time of year to be outdoors. Personally I would have a hard time parking my butt in a Lazy Boy on
    a beautiful day for 3 hours when winter is just around the corner.
    Check this out, pretty well sums it up for me anyway.
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704281204575002852055561406.html

As far as the 50 yard line, with my luck I would probably end up in front of some loud mouth spilling beer down my back.
    I think I'll take the fishing.
  12. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Ratings: +410 / 0
  13. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,659 / 0
    Well since most football games are on a weekend, I'll watch the games. I do all my fishing during the week so I don't miss to many games.
  14. Nick Clayton Active Member

Ratings: +1,133 / 4
    I love the Hawks, but this is a no brainer. No matter the question, fishing always wins.

My choice was to fish the morning high tide, 1-2 on coho, then come back to watch the game. Will finish up the day by finishing the evening high.

Perfect way to spend a Sunday.
  15. Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Ratings: +1,176 / 0
    What's football?

Oh, it must be some kind of fly, right? A reverse spider-type sounds like the right thing for the season, LOL.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378672022.523013.jpg
    GAT, Porter, Munro and 4 others like this.
  16. troutpocket Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +326 / 0
    Spectate or participate? I'll be on the water.
  17. IveofIone Active Member

Ratings: +1,069 / 0
    Both. Since I never fish on weekends it is the perfect time to stay home, watch some games, drink some ales and burn some steaks. I'll leave the water to those that can only get out on the weekend and cherry pick the best days midweek to go out.

Hurry up and retire-this is the best of both worlds!

Ive
    Eric Denny likes this.
  18. Hillbilly Redneck wishin i was fishin

Whitehorse Mt.
    Ratings: +81 / 0
    I left the house this morning at 6:30 and made it back 10 minutes before kickoff. Local hole was full of salmon. The humpies were humping (spawning), the chinook were chinooking (chasing each other around), the sockeye were sockeying ( turning green and red) and the steelhead were no where to be seen. I walked down stream and found some mechanical beavers had been hard at work engineering log jams. I skated a caddis in some fast shallow water and hooked a 5 or 6lbs steelhead but it came unbuttoned before I could beach it.

Attached Files:

Eric Denny likes this.
  19. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,619 / 0
    For a fisherman, this isn't even a question, let alone relevant.

Sg
    triploidjunkie and Freestone like this.
  20. Evan Virnoche Guest

Ratings: +0 / 0
    I floated today instead of watchinf the gam. One boat only had the whole river to ourselves until christmas tree