So fishing or football?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Eric Denny, Sep 8, 2013.

1. Josh

Josh dead in the water

I love being a sports fan and I'm not ashamed to admit it. Sports are one of the few things on earth that can be common ground between people of any background or belief system. I follow (though not watch) all of seattle's teams plus the Canucks and NASCAR. I would say that The Seahawks games are the ones I make the most effort to actually sit down and watch.

That having been said, I long ago decided that I wouldn't run my life around sporting events. If there is something more interesting going on, I will DVR or skip it. The only exception might be playoff games or friend/family gatherings around a specific event. But even with that caveat, I can't think of the last time I felt like I skipped out on an important "real life" event to watch a sporting event.

Today I went out locally for a couple hours early this morning then watched the 'hawks game with my boys. Worked for me.

Eric Denny likes this.
  2. Skyler Evans

Skyler Evans Active Member

I was going to watch the Game today so before it started i decided that i would go down to the little D and see if anything was going to happen. I fished for about an hours or so... Had a few risers and one fish to hand but that was it... Well when i got back to my truck i realized that i had taken the wrong keys out of my truck and put them into my vest. I had the house and mailbox keys in my pocked and my truck keys in the truck with the doors locked. So i sat on my tailgate for an hour and a half untill i could get the locksmith to come and unlock my truck. Thank godness for AAA.

3. Brookie_Hunter

Brookie_Hunter aka Dave Hoover

Didn't know the two activities were mutually exclusive. Many places I fish you can still get the AM broadcast (old school). :p

Josh and Peyton00 like this.
  4. Skyler Evans

Skyler Evans Active Member

espn mobile app. half the time i fish the lakes in my tube i can watch tv. not a bad idea untill a fish s=takes your line and you drop a phone in the water.

5. Josh

Josh dead in the water

And with the Seahawks, you are WAY better off listening to Steve Raible and Warren Moon than you are whatever idiot mouthbreather talking heads Fox TV has assigned that week. Watching football, I love TV for the replays but I'm also pretty happy just listening to the radio. Baseball I pretty much require it to be a radio sport. The game is too long and too slow and there are 160 of them a season.

skiman5982, Cruik and Brookie_Hunter like this.
  6. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

Spent the morning chasing carp on Banks. Three takes, zero landed. Two smallish bass on accident. Took the kids swimming in the afternoon at my favorite cutthroat lake. Skunkage there too, though Enlightened and I each hooked and lost a couple.
    At least the hawks won.

Eric Denny likes this.
  7. ICHI

ICHI Member

Fishing. But a Sounders FC game and a Guinness would be my choice

8. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

I'd fish during a Sharknado outbreak before I'd stay home to watch TV.

Cruik likes this.
  9. Cruik

Cruik Active Member

I think it's a very serious dilemma. Well, maybe less a dilemma and more just a frustration.I have no opportunity during the week to go fishing and fall is my favorite time to fish. It's a great time of year to take a two-day summer steelhead, salmon, or trout fishing trip. But, that usually means missing both the Seahawks and the Huskies. On top of that, it's a fantastic time to be out in the wilderness. Kind of funny how it feels so fresh, when everything is dying. 4 or 5 years ago, it was an easy decision, but it was tough last year and it'll be tougher this year. I usually decide to go fishing and try to listen to the game on the radio. My buddies think I'm an idiot, though.

10. FerrousTortoise

FerrousTortoise Hana Pa`a

Definitely fishing. Especially on these nice days when I can take the kiddos out.

11. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

NASCAR is a sport?

12. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Only if you are a Red Neck and like to drink Beer. Normal people don't.