So how about chum...

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by doublebluff, Sep 24, 2013.

1. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

Media:
    I don't want to beat anyone up, let's just be sensitive about what we post to the public Internet forum. To help get this back on track, this was my favorite fly last year. Caught lots of fish with it.

Another good tip that I learned last year, bring lots of extra flies and a good hook sharpener. Between the shallow estuaries and big chum teeth you tend to go through way more flies than say coho fishing from the beach.

Attached Files:

ten80 likes this.
  2. Dipnet

Dipnet The wanted posters say Tim Hartman

mtskibum16, you have your opinion about what is too much info and I have mine. Please respect mine.

I will not let myself get sucked into this same old argument that's been debated ad infinitum on this forum and others.

I don't think I posted anything offensive or out-of-line. You're welcome to think differently.

vive la différence!

3. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Media:
    Aye, the fly Matt posted was great for me as well. This one, or similar color combos worked well for me as well. I fished mostly size 6

2012-10-25_18-42-15_935.jpg

4. Dipnet

So, doublebluff, I apologize for the hijack!

Let's let some other folks answer your question and I sure hope you can catch some fish up here! :)

5. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Media:
    I thought Matt did a pretty good job of getting his point across. Not sure why you must be so stubborn about it. Tell ya what, feel free to post up the best time and location to fish your favorite chum spot as a "teaser" for all your new friends and then come talk to us about how it doesn't matter.

I thoroughly enjoyed last years chum thread. I think ill remove myself from this one. I for one am not here to help advertise.

dryflylarry and ten80 like this.
  6. Dipnet

I think your comment, Nick, about being stubborn was directed at me.

Personally, I thought he was being opinionated and stubborn! (But that's just me, I guess!)

Anyway, as I said, I don't want to get into a pissin' match with anyone. Each to their own!

Back to your normally programmed show! ;)

7. formerguide

formerguide Active Member

Well, all I know is that I've hooked a few Chum already, and seen a few more than that. Awesome fighters for sure, here's a few from the other day...

These are the first ones I have ever hooked too; I'm 9 months into living here in WA, can't wait to see what the final 3 months to complete my year might yield!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dan

8. rotato

rotato Active Member

Nice chumy Dan
    Saw some twenty pounders up north this summer

9. doublebluff

doublebluff Go Beavs

Well, sorry to arouse all the angst. I was hoping for some pleasant discussion about a fish I know very little about.

I will add that use of the term "Dick post" probably is not a good way to win friends and influence people.

I appreciate all the information in this post and the one last year. I'll try to tie some flies like the one shown- thanks!

10. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

Media:
    Neither is posting detailed information about small local fisheries.

I just don't like seeing location specific stuff posted up for anyone to see. It's just too easy to find these days. I've done it myself - I overheard someone utter a phrase on the beach one day that piqued my curiosity. All it took was about 5 minutes on Google and I was able to find which river they were fishing (they mentioned a specific nick-named hole on a river), driving directions to get there, where to park, which side of the river to fish, and the best rock to stand on. I'm sure with a bit more time I could find the best fly, tide, time, etc. It's not the one little tidbit that does harm, it's the fact that search engines can quickly assemble all of the little tidbits together very quickly. I gained most of this information from gear sites that I'm not a member of.

I wish you luck doublebluff and really hope you find fish. None of what I said is directed at you and it wasn't your fault the thread was hijacked. For the record, had someone like you PMed me asking location specific questions I would be happy to help you out if i could.

By the way, fun fact: Google image "chico creek chum fishing" and dryflylarry is the first picture! :)

dryflylarry, ten80 and Nick Clayton like this.
  11. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    Pound for pound you'll have a hard time finding a harder fighting local fish then a chum.
    While lots of folks like to fish chartreuse, I've found purple and cerise colored flies to work as well if not better then chartreuse.
    Black can be another excellent color especially with a cerise or chartreuse head.

When the water gets a bit colored up, purple and cerise with just a touch of chartreuse can be deadly.
    Good luck finding some chum. Looking for jumpers is the easiest way to find them. They are tons of fun catch in the salt on a bug rod.
    SF

Nick Clayton likes this.
  12. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Media:
    Home Page:
    Chico Creek has been beaten to death, in part because of the internet banter about how to get there, where to park, where to walk in, where to cast and when etc. If you go back over the past few years of topics and posts regarding this little spot you will see that it's decline is well documented here.

13. CLO

CLO Bonk Hatcheries

Media:
    Chum aka the salmon that tastes worse than pinks.

14. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

Media:
    It's not about filling the freezer. There are few other fisheries I know of where you can catch so many big HARD fighting fish on a fly rod. It's just a fun time!

Nick Clayton likes this.
  15. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

I will usually retain for the table any bright Chum that I catch. Of course, that is in places where it is legal to retain them. The bright ones smoke up pretty fine.
    I know a spot to fish for Chums that sometimes gets decent in late Oct, and has a good hamburger joint not too far away, and serves micro-brews!:)

This thread is too early! I'm just now getting into my Coho fishing and have been surfing my brains out every chance I get when the surf is rideable. I've been neglecting my cutthroat fishing!:confused:
    Chums??? Geeze! Why complicate things before its necessary. :D

16. Jeff Dodd

Jeff Dodd Active Member

Media:
    Staging chum are not the only chum fishery. These fish cruise/porpoise along the surface in large pods. DB, if you get up to Whidbey during October, try the same location you did for Coho this year. Maybe even hang that fly under an indicator.
    Jeff

Nick Clayton likes this.
  17. doublebluff

doublebluff Go Beavs

Jeff- Very interesting idea. thanks-

18. bigdood

bigdood fishing hack

Media:
    Home Page:

But if you merely change the name to keta..... :D

CLO likes this.
  19. CLO

CLO Bonk Hatcheries

Media:

This being said I love catching chum when the coho number dwindle... Also a chum broke my fly rod 2 years ago so I'm a little bitter.

20. Bob Young

Bob Young Member

Did he step on it?

CLO, Jason Rolfe and plaegreid like this.