So how many casts until you touched your frist steelhead???

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by sandspanker, Dec 1, 2010.

1. sandspanker Member

Camas
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Just wondering with me being new to the fly fish thing for steelhead wondering is all. Took a freind of mine 3 trips to catch his frist and second ever steelhead. He is hooked now! LOL
  2. stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

Carlsbad, CA
    Ratings: +431 / 0
    two years....who knows how many casts!
    Then I started getting advice on lines, switched to heavier tips, and bigger flies, and started getting success
    THEN I started fishing summer runs, and caught one my first trip out
  3. Bryan Williamson Willybethere

Bothell, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Aprox 3-4 hours first time out, not sure how many casts it was. I went with someone who knew what they were doing and I'd already been fly fishing for almost 20 years prior. Very next trip, same location...first cast stripping line off my reel hooked another...rediculous! Didn't touch another steelhead the next 4 trips.
  4. Steffan Brown ...

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +64 / 0
    I'm going into my second full winter season and still don't think they exist... Although, much like Stilly, I have more knowledge as to what I'm doing with lines/tips/flies/etc. and hoping it will happen soon enough. Still feel like I'm scratching the surface though and haven't really had anyone to show me regularly what I'm doing wrong or right. Each time I go out, I pick up on something new or question something that leads to researching and reading more. Other times I just feel hopeless...bawling:
  5. Matthew LeBret Active Member

clarkston, wa
    Ratings: +83 / 0
    Right on the 13th million cast. Not really but it sure did feel like that. My first came at the end of my first real dedicated season to the steelhead and naturally it was native so I couldnt eat it BUT I was able to touch it:) and came away with a hell of a story.
  6. Alexander Fishon

WA
    Ratings: +330 / 0
    both times out, both times hooked, both times not landed. one broke my line, one broke my rod. This weekend i'm gonna kill 'em!!! :D
  7. Ralphie Mike Ralph

Mercer Island, WA
    Ratings: +12 / 0
    Took me about 10-12 fishing days before catching one on a fly (swinging). The first 8 or 9 times out was by myself, then I wised up and went with someone who knew what they were doing. That sped of the learning curve quite a bit leading to success. While I enjoy the pursuit and just being on the river, my advice is to find a buddy who can help you learn the ropes.
  8. jergensCsquad Joe's brother

ellensburg WA
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    hmmm about five i think.
  9. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,700 / 2
    First trip out. Took another 2yrs before I landed another.
  10. Kirk Singleton Capt Kirk

Sammamish, WA
    I dont remember.
    I do recall that it was at Rieder ponds, snowing hard, my hands were numb, I knew I had tied a shitty knot but it didnt matter because I never hooked anything anyway. Sure enough, I got one at the feet of a gear guy below me. Scared the poop out of him! Fought the fish for a bit and sure enough- the knot gave out. Now, no matter how cold my hands are, I tie good knots.
  11. Lincoln Ramblin' Man

Portland, OR
    Over 120 days that's all I know. Although I hooked 7 Springers in May and landed 4 of em so that kinda held me over.
  12. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,707 / 0
    You think people count how many casts they make in a day?

I have no idea. I don't remember how many times I went fishing before hooking up, but it was spaced out over a year or so, I think.

While statistics are useful, this particular one is no more than a curiosity. I've known two people who fished for steelhead no more than a few minutes before hooking their first. One is a friend's wife, and she decided that's not so hard and went back to camp to read her book and never fished for steelhead again.

Sg
  13. Jonathan Tachell Active Member

Gig Harbor, Washington
    Ratings: +187 / 0
    First day on the water. It was about a 6 pound summer run caught 200 yards from the salt up an O.P. stream. That fish was so chrome it almost hurt to look at it in the sun. One of the hottest fish I have ever caught too. That thing was all over the place, jumping like crazy and running up and down the stream. Have been hooked ever since.
  14. wet line New Member

Burien, WA, King.
    A lot! I don't have any desire to really contemplate the futility of swinging flies for winter nor summer steelhead. It would probably make me feel angry, then incompetent, and then frustrated.

So Now I am totally feeling totally pissed off and totally inadequate and your %&*^%%**&%, question to be polite is not making me feel any better at the moment! So I am going to go pour myself about 4 fingers of whiskey and try to forget your ^)*(&)&*(&(,question!

It is probably good I am pretty layed backed or I might tell you what I really think!

Dave
  15. Jim Riggins Member

Battle Ground, Wa.
    Ratings: +16 / 0
    I landed my first steelhead when I was around 9yrs old. My dad hooked it on the Lewis and handed me the rod, an old 8ft Reeder rod in 1965. I don't know if that was good or bad as I've been on the same rush since then. I picked up the fly rod 3 or so yrs ago and it took me most of the first summer to catch one on a fly. It took me another couple years before I was brave enough to leave my gear rod at home. I've caught 34 steelhead so far this year. About half of what I would have caught on conventional gear, but I enjoy this a hell of alot more!
  16. Mark Horwath Member

everett wa.
    A wise man told me steelhead are where you find them. My first landed fish was on the stilly dec.3rd about after three months. It"s the next cast.
  17. KEM Member

Twisp, WA
    Never landing one!
  18. Kaiserman content

Ratings: +437 / 0
    I slopped out. First day ever stealhead fishing, Nov. 4th, 2001 - 3 hrs 45 min caught first steelie. The next week - 4 to hand in one day. The next week after that - 6 to hand. My friends told me to quit because it wasn't going to get better than that. That was a great year to start, one of the biggest runs on record.
  19. Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +47 / 0
    That is ridiculous! Makes me want to stop just reading it. Sheesh.

Took me about three solid months in winter before my first fish, which happened to be a spawned out summer run in March! Just like hookers and blow - once you start, you never stop.
  20. SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

Roy, WA
    Ratings: +13 / 0
    I think I just threw up in my mouth a little. urp.