So how many casts until you touched your frist steelhead???

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by sandspanker, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    I think Constructeur here on the forum wins this one. Maybe he'll post in this thread eventually and tell his story.

2. Abyl

Abyl Member

Going on 4 months now and not a tug yet....I agree with finding a buddy to help though, and even if you still don't have luck at least you had good company.

3. Kaiserman

Kaiserman Phil 4:11-13

Temporarily on earth, longing for home...
    Like I said, I slopped out. Three factors: Huge run that year, no pressure (til people started opening their PIE HOLE!), and years of fishing for big browns off of the "feel" of the take. Yes, I was bouncing articulated leaches on the bottom - no bobber though. I prefer to swing, but this river doesn't have a lot of places to do so.

4. Bob Jones

Bob Jones Still truckless now farther away

Media:
    Last seen in Portland Or. via Tacoma,Puyallup, Wa.
    I never really push it so there's no way to estimate even. I have rarely even spent a whole day after steelhead. When I spend time with an experienced fisherman he just catches more fish and I still have none. I'm 72 now and still trying once in a while so I may catch one yet. I did catch a chinook once. And those chum were crazy catching a bunch everytime, when I did get out. So I guess figure about 50 years worth of something and not counting. I don't care!!! I do feel sorrry for those who have been skunked over and over and they worry about it. I don't even think that I've touched any one elses. Happy fishin!!

5. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    I can remember it because it is the only one on a fly for me so far. Many on gear before that. I know the exact rock I was standing on, the fly, the person who tied the fly and the guy I fished with in that general area the day before. He actually shortened his time on the water that day because of my schedule, we got skunked and late that night I got told by the misses to be out of the house so the girls could work on a surprise for me. I went back, solo, and bonked a little hatchery hen...sorry Rob! If I had it to do all over again I still would not have called you that late at night, and you'd still call me a bastard. And I was just getting started. I was really just stripping out line and making short casts to get more running line in hand when she came knocking. She got a dose of stone shampoo probably 45 minutes or less from the time I parked the truck. I could not have made more than four to six short casts before my good fortune and I called it a day. Drove 2 hours there, barely got wet and drove two hours home with dinner!

6. powderglut

powderglut My Kind Of Wave

I was on the Russian River in California and didn't have a clue. Bait guys were sitting on the rocks across stream, so I knew fish were stacked in the run. I made about a dozen casts before this old guy fishing above me said "reel in." He nipped off the huge fly I had on and tied on a small bland, brown hackled fly. He explained a few things about cast and mend. Three casts later, I was into the wildest fight I've ever had on a river. I beached, what we estimated to be, between 15-17 lb fish. I released it, while listening to boos and obscenities from the bait guys across stream. The old man patted me on the back and said "Good job! And now you might as well retire from steelheadin, because you will never see another fish like that in this river for the rest of your life. Probably in most rivers. It's all downhill from here on." So far he's been right. That was almost 30 years ago. That'll give you the steelhead shake!!
    So the answer, about 15 casts.

7. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Don't know. Caught first steelhead in the Rogue about 50 years ago. That one was likely on spinning gear. We used to fish both fly and spin and I can't remember if I caught a steelhead on a fly back then. Most likely did. I quit sport fishing for many years and when I got back into fly fishing some 20 years ago I would say it took a month or so before hooking into first steelhead.

How many casts have you made since your last hook up?

8. stilly stalker

stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

well... no steel for me since August, but I have hooked something be it bull trout, cutties, or salmon every trip out

9. Blake Harmon

Blake Harmon Active Member

Media:
    Many on gear back trolling the cowlitz when I was younger. once I started fly fishing it was prlly about 6 trips or so before I put one to hand.

10. Luke77

Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

Media:
    I think 5 trips.

11. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    I feel like Bob Jones on this subject. Who cares. It took me about three years to get a Brown trout worth bragging about. What a beautiful colored fish. It puts the Steelhead to shame in it's colors and it's fight is just as much fun.

I Washington state you guys only fish for Steelhead, here I have several different trout species to fish for and all of them are fun.

12. Andrew Lawrence

Andrew Lawrence Active Member

1st cast. Seriously! I started my quest by reading a book about steelhead fly fishing. When I was finished, I went online and visited Washington Fly Fishing. It wasn’t long before I discovered a recent report which included the name of the river, the name of hole that the person caught the steelhead in along with a picture of the hole, and a description of the fly and line set up that was used. Armed with all of this information, I drove to the spot and waded out in the water at the head of the run. My first cast landed in the seam just below the head. My swing was just about to the hang down when bam, fish on!

Actually, I don’t know how many casts I made before I caught my first steelhead on a fly. What I can say is that it took me approximately 8 months. I am sure that the water in that particular run had been fished by gear fishermen for most of the day. However, I decided to give it a go. I was just above the tail out of this particular run and my fly coming to the end of its swing when the fish hit with a full on head and shoulders take. It was kind of like being awaken from a dream, and there were no doubts about what I had on the end of my line. The fish was an estimated 5lb. - 6lb. chrome bright wild summer run steelhead. That was one of the best fly fishing experiences that I have ever had!

13. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    So, when you lived here in Washington State all you fished for was steelhead?

14. Blake Harmon

Blake Harmon Active Member

Media:
    Old man clearly knows we have brag worthy browns.

15. discoscud

discoscud Stripping burns welcome!

I think it was about 8 casts.. Fishing with Gordy U on the good ol' Nooche for the summer runs! Took me another 6 years to hook up again. It's still a fish I love to hate!!!

16. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

On my first cast. Actually, it wasn't really a cast. It was in the 1970's on my dad's friend's boat on Lake Michigan off the south side of Chicago. The "cast" amounted to hooking up my fiberglass spinning rod to a downrigger and trolling around. I caught a few small steelhead that day and a few in ensuing years in the lake and on various Michigan rivers.

Anyway, that's not at all what you were after, so I'll add that after moving here in 1999 it probably took me probably half a dozen days on the Sky and Stilly before I landed two natives in one day near Monroe. Soon after that I decided to leave steelhead alone for the mostpart.

17. Banzai

Banzai FFing and VWs...Bugs & Bugs

Don't know how many casts. Let's see, I'm 56 and I've been fly fishing for steelies for about 5 years now and have yet to hook up with one unless you can count a finclipped 12" rainbow on the Bogey last year. Like I ssaid last year, "this winter for sure...".

18. Broderick Smith

Broderick Smith SeaToTree

Media:
    My first trip out, 2nd day on the river, I caught 6. We'd studied up and gotten the right flies, line etc. It was stupidly good out there and I was hooked; similar to the quote someone said above, I had about 10 different people tell me that it will never happen to me again. Still have had great success, but never hooked one on the swing yet only under my bobbicator. Swing is top of my To-Do.

19. hjbigrapids

hjbigrapids New Member

Media:
    Big Rapids, MI, Olympic Peninsula, Seattle
    Never had a "frist" steelhead. Is that a different race????

How many casts til my 1st 23.5 pound male??? In that run about half a dozen.

Again it is all relative. When I was overseas in the late 60's I did not keep count of the days, as I either made it or I didn't. I was asked by my CO how many days I had left and I told him "it was all relative". Some guys/gals are a quick study and they put it all together in a hurry. Some others do it their way, sort of "Barta" style.

Learning to sense the different takes was a lot of the curve. A lot of fishermen never realize they had a fish take their fly, hold on to it and then let it go. I have had people sit there and watch their rod shake and never do anything. Then they ask me, "was that a fish?".

Don't worry about how many casts or years, it will all come together........

20. bconrad

bconrad Member

Hey just curious, when you feel that fish pick up the fly, do you slam the door or just sit there and wait for him to turn on it?