So how many casts until you touched your frist steelhead???

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by sandspanker, Dec 1, 2010.

1. tythetier

tythetier Fish Slayer

Media:
    Proly two years and still no fish.... Of course I make it out maybe only half a dozen times a year...

2. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Media:
    First time out. I was in my early teens on the hood with a great steelheader. I caught 6 steelhead under an indicator with a calberro egg. I remember feeling real good about myself and commenting on what the big fuss was all about steelhead being difficult to catch. Ignorance was bliss.

3. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

Media:
    Me too. I've caught a few and agree that they're amazing. But I went and got addicted to the challenge of big browns,and have yet to return to steelhead or the crowds they bring. Crowds being relative of course. And like OMJ it took me almost four years to catch one worth bragging about. iagree

4. hjbigrapids

hjbigrapids New Member

Media:
    Big Rapids, MI, Olympic Peninsula, Seattle
    Depends upon the take. There are times when they jerk the rod out of your hand, there are times when they float with the fly and you feel something goofy. Then there are the ones that kind of mouth it and swim with it and you just wonder what the heck is going on.

There has been a lot of discussion about dropping loops, swinging to the side and down river, and waiting for the turn. My history with big fish is that they will sit there and shake their head. So the down stream sweep and low to the water is the way to go.

It is all a learning curve. Not all the MASTERS catch them in the mouth every time. I have seen a bunch of pictures where the hook is outside of the mouth. That is called "lining or sometimes snagging". There are so many variables in Steelhead fly fishing that one encounters new things all the time.

After more years than I want to admit to, I can honestly say " I do not understand it all". It is a constant learning thing. That is why fly fishing for steelhead is so unique........

5. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

Media:
    hjbigrapids: another style of take that I get from big bows around here is they come up beside it and slap it hard with their tail to stun it. Then they turn around and watch. If it behaves accordingly, they grab it. Keep in mind this is a lake, river fish may not have the luxury of this kind of ambush behavior. My hook up ratio went way up when I discoverd this. Unless on dries, probably 60% of my hookups now are on the second strike,now that I don't overreact to the "stunner".

6. Kelly Michelsen

Kelly Michelsen Active Member

1 season before I hooked my first steelhead and caught that same fish...last year I caught fish on 3 different streams...this year i did well early but family and hunting season have slowed my progress to get back in the hunt!!!
    Flyfisher121

7. stilly stalker

stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

Im still looking foreward to "firsts" on several rivers...#1 priority, a Sauk steelface. For al the time Ive spent on it, my steelface skunking is getting out of hand.
    Still have yet to land a steelhead over 20 lbs, that will be an excellent first if it ever happens.

8. Kaiserman

Kaiserman Phil 4:11-13

Temporarily on earth, longing for home...
    I got an 18 & 19 lbr in the same day 45 mins apart. Can't speak for others on this thread, but after the first 5 minutes or so on the 19 lbr....it wasn't fun anymore. Tore up my forearm and shoulder. Couldn't fish for 2 weeks after that. I think I cried a little bit, then my friend called me a titty baby. Some friend he is, jerk. :clown:

9. Matt Smith

Matt Smith On the river Noyb

Media:
    Still counting..... Shut Up OMJ

10. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    You touched one with your hand on the rod, reel on the rod, line on the reel, fly on the line, fish on the fly...and I saw that big son of a mother hunk of fish. Next time you touch it with hand on the slime.

11. Brookie_Hunter

Brookie_Hunter aka Dave Hoover

Media:
    I'm in the same boat too but I hope my luck will change soon.

12. Matt Smith

Matt Smith On the river Noyb

Media:
    Thanks Ed, I hope to get out this weekend. It's been awhile and am in need of some casting practice

13. Itchy Dog

Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Media:
    Home Page:
    999 casts with my single hander and then on the 1000th cast, which happened to be my first cast with a two hander, I hooked and landed a native Sauk fish. It was just dumb luck, though, because Brian Paige told me exactly what rock to stand on and where to swing the fly. Then he tailed the fish, took photos of it and helped me to shore where I sat trembling as I wet myself.

14. Half Pounder

Half Pounder Member

On my sixth cast the first day out I caught an eight pounder. The sun hadn't even crested the hills when I slid it onto the bank. I then followed that with a three-month total skunk while hitting the water four to five times a week trying in vain to repeat my glorious first morning. By the time I hooked my second fish, I had given up on ever catching another one and had gotten so lazy then I had coiled my running line in and out of my fingers. So, when my second steelhead immediately ran back toward the ocean after feeling the hook, I tried unsuccessfully to follow it downstream into the belly of the run I was fishing while frantically working at the tangled mess in my line hand. None of my fishing partners knew I had stuck a fish and they all assumed I had momentarily rushed toward an untimely, self-inflicted watery grave because I hadn't caught anything in so long. I hooked my third steelhead about three weeks later and landed it. After that, I generally hooked at least one or two fish each day for the next few seasons. But that was back in the 1980s when the northern California returns were still respectable and I didn't have family and work obligations keeping me off the river when it is in prime condition. Now I fish about once a week and am lucky to catch three adult fish all winter. I figure I cast a zillion times per fish. Don't ask me how much I spend for each one--I might rush headlong back toward that watery grave next time I get out on the river.

15. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    No, I know what streams have other trout in them. If you get above impassable barriers You can always find natives to play with. With all my driving around western Washington in the many years I have lived there you find these places.

On a 4wt they are a blast.

16. rwbailey05

rwbailey05 GO COUGS

Media:
    Steelhead fishing... well last year was great. Caught a nice 8lber my first time out and after that only had one skunking all season, but i know that was unbelievably fortunate. This year has been different, got out alot early on in the season and did not get into one chrome, now its basketball season and fishing time is far far between! I can still remember that first cast and what the pull felt like on the swing! Steelhead are a jewel no matter if you catch them, see them or are just out in God's glory fishing for them! Cant beat a day on the river with your stick!

17. FT

FT Active Member

I honestly don't know, and really don't care how many days, months, or casts it took. The bottom line for me is I love being on the river and taking in everything around me along with casting and paying attention to the swing that hooking steelhead is not my top priority. I've had many excellent days steelhead fishing without any take or pull, but they were excellent days nonetheless. And I've had days with multiple fish hooked and landed that were also excellent days fishing for steelhead.

But like I said earlier, I honestly don't care whether I hook a steelhead in one day, two days, or if it takes a couple of months to hook one, being out on the river is its own reward. I also am of the opinion that if someone is concerned about how many steelhead he hooks or how long it takes to hook one, he is missing out on a lot and may wish to stick with trout, bass, pike, bonefish, etc. because they are feeding, unlike steelhead who are not actively feeding and in fact, have an atrophied stomach.

18. Kaiserman

Kaiserman Phil 4:11-13

Temporarily on earth, longing for home...
    Good for you FT. :thumb: I often stop at times, look around me and thank the good Lord above for the ability, opportunity, and blessing of a good wife that understands how important it is for me to get out and fish as much as I do.

That being said, I can't go 3 hours without a fish before I start labeling the day unsuccessful. If I only catch 2 fish, I rank my day as just "ok". Just my competitive nature I guess.

19. stilly stalker

stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

thank god for bull trout, often the only way I know Im doing SOMETHING right

20. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Hey, i8abug, just wondering if your competitive nature is pitting you against the trout. You know your brain is large, highly evolved and developed and a steelhead trout's brain is small, not very evolved or developed. How's that competition going for you?