So, how much of a fly fisher are you?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Rob Blomquist, Mar 22, 2002.

1. Rob Blomquist

Rob Blomquist Formerly Tight Loops

Media:
  2. rockfish

rockfish Member

fishing

I like all kinds of fishing

3. Chris Scoones

Chris Scoones Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Ya, well, pretty much a fly fisher...

Kinda difficult though to get a fly 80' down to halibut. Besides that though, ya, pretty much a fly fisher.

Chris

"It's not the thing you fling, but the fling itself"
    Chris - Northern Exposure

4. skyriver

skyriver Member

Media:

I think Chris is on the right track. When I say I went fishing, everyone that knows me knows that means I went fly fishing. But, there are certain species that it simply is not fun to fly fish. Halibut is a great example. Some of the funnest fishing I've had is shad on the Columbia with a trout sized spinning rod. You're still swinging an artificial lure through a drift and you still get to feel the pounce of the strike. And, you get to catch about twice as many fish because of the efficiency of the spinning outfit given all the obstacles- strong deep water, no backcast room, crowded conditions. I have found places that were more conducive to fly casting, but the best shad spots are the ones where it just isn't practical.
    But besides those rare adventures I fly fish, of course.
    Stacy

5. Rob Blomquist

Media:

Flies, only flies, nothing but flies, and no propellers on them either, and no little ##### nite spoons.

As to the halibut question, I would love to take one on a fly, with a home made lead core setup. I am not against trolling flies, but I love to angle for almost anything that I can catch with a fly.

Yeah, there may be more efficent ways to fish, but I will take flies over them almost any time, with or without a catch.

Rob :CLOWN

6. ray helaers

ray helaers New Member

Let me put it this way

The only tackle I own is fly tackle. I fish mostly for trout, coho, steelhead, in roughly that order. If I'm going to go fishing for say, shad, or small mouth bass, or whatever, I have to figure out a place and a way to do it with a fly, because I've already got about all the tackle I can afford, thanks.

Now every once in awhile, someone invites me onto their boat to fish for halibut out on the Strait, or giant sturgeon on the Columbia, and they put a rod in my hand with one of those fancy reels with all the gears, loaded with dacron or mono or spider wire or whatall they call it these days. Well I'm not a dummy; I can figure out how to use the thing. And I've got good enough manners (and sense) to say yes when I get invited.

I fish with a flyrod 99.99% of the time because that's what I do, and I've been doing it that way for so long now that a gear rod can actually make a monkey out of me. But hell, the cork on a baitcaster doesn't burn my palms or anything. And you ever play one of those 8-ft sturgeon?

7. Flyfisher Frank

Flyfisher Frank New Member

Let me put it this way

Strictly speaking I guess the switch hit is my choice. But it's because every now and again there's a little kid around that has never been fishing, like maybe 5 years old. If I'm fishing by myself it's with my fly gear. Question, as I'm about to buy the smallest down rigger I can, for use with my fly pole of course, is that fly fishing? You see it on the tube when they troll flies for Marlin. Halibut on a fly? Sure, somebody's gotta do it. Not me though, I get to seasick. Ha :COOK Flyfisher Frank

8. Rob Blomquist

Media:
    Let me put it this way

As to halibut on the fly, I hear that the halibut come into the estuaries to feed on salmon carcasses in the fall.

Apparently it is a little know fact that they can be caught then. I think I heard it on the Washington flyfishers email list, but I could be mistaken. Now, with my new 10 weight, I would like to go experiment with some big flesh flies and see what happens.

Oh, yeah, and several years ago near Valdez, AK, my brother hooked one on a fly and was dragged around in his sea kayak for several hours as he tried to land it. Looking back, he says he should have just cut it off early in the game. His two friends with him actually rafted up with him give more stability and drag.

Rob

9. rockfish

rockfish Member

Let me put it this way

last year around this time I went up blackmouth fishing in sekiu, we were fishing at the mouth of the sekiu river in 50 ft of water, I was working a cut plug herring on the bottom and bam 20 lb halibut. I bet if some one was to work some gravel or sandy areas that are close to structure up in the western straits I bet you would have a good chance with one not including many other fish. espiccially in the spring when it opens up. they migrate alot thru the straits there this time of year.

on another note landed a blackmouth in the 10 or 11 lb range this morning, first salmon I caught in a while. Ben

10. FishPirate

FishPirate New Member

Media:
    Let me put it this way

I enjoy all types of fishing, for all species of fish. Variety is the spice of life. Why limit yourself? Imagine eating only one type of food?

11. guest

guest Guest

Let me put it this way

This is not a answer to anything. I really like to fly fish. I went out this year and I am starting to fish for Steelhead. I put all my other gear away so I could just fly fish.
    Now that I'm started going that way I didn't know that there were so many ways to fly fish for them as in the lines that are used
    Multi-tip lines,floating lines, sinking lines,sink tip lines. The list goes on and on and on. The only question that I have is it worth it all? :DUNNO Jim S.

12. fly15

fly15 New Member

Let me put it this way

i fly fish about 90% of the time.one of my goals is to catch a lingcod
    and king salmon in salt water.i love the challenge of fly fishing and the quality water you get to fish like rocky ford, yakima,lenice,cady
    and more, unfortunatly there are not many fly only waters on the westside of the mountains.does anyone know the best way to catch lings and king salmon on the fly?I also love tieng my own flys i tie every night wether it is for my dad or my friends or myself.i have come up with a cool chironomid emerger that i think will work good.
    i am also trying to become better at fly fishing for steelies. :THUMBSUP