So I am almost to the pt of only fly fishing for steelhead

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by sandspanker, Feb 13, 2013.

1. jsrskeena

jsrskeena New Member

I was a gear chucker for many years and switched to the 2 hander last summer without any knowledge of fly fishing whatsoever.It has proved to be quite the challenge and very frusterating at times.I landed my last steelhead in early Oct and havent had one to hand since and i have put alot of time in!!! For me i will never chuck gear again as there is nothing like hookin up with a steelhead on the fly....For myself the challenge of getting a steelhead on the fly is extremely rewarding,its not a numbers game anymore its about waiting for that tug that takes you by complete surprise and gets your heart pounding.As I continue to fly fish I keep asking myself,why wasnt i doing this 20 years ago,to me,theres nothing else like it....

hydrological likes this.
  2. SOPoker

SOPoker Banned or Parked

I am with you on this one. I basically don't use any of my gear rods anymore. Once I learned how to nymph Fire Cured Eggs under an indicator with my spey rod it was Game over. It took a while for me to learn how to cast without flinging the eggs all over the place, but now I love to show up to a crowded drift and watch people get all big eyed when I lay out a long cast with a fat blob of roe being chased by a thingamabobber, ker splash! It's all about the Grab!

sandspanker likes this.