So in a run of 4-6 ft with bolders what are you....

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by sandspanker, May 24, 2011.

1. sandspanker

sandspanker Member

using for a sink tip?? I was at a river today and was fishing a 10 ft pc of T8 and a unweighted fly and fished thru a runand had a guy fallow me with a weighted wooley bugger and a type 3 sink tip and he got a fish. Nice hot fish took him close to his backing then the hook came off. So what could I do differently?? Thanks for any and all advise. I have T8,T11,T14 sink tips and airflo custom cut 200 in 8ft and 12 ft pcs. The T14 I have is 10ft,T11 is 10ft, and the T8 is 10 ft Thanks again

2. jcanger

jcanger New Member

How much mono were you running off the T8 tip?

3. sandspanker

sandspanker Member

4. jcanger

jcanger New Member

I was going to suggest that your fly and leader may not have been at the same depth as your tip, and it may have been with a 3 ft leader and unweighted fly, especially if the water was moving at a quick clip. On the other hand, a 3ft leader isn't terribly long. Other thoughts include the fly choice, swinging speed...the light, the angle of the sun/moon, the fish's general demeanor to move for a fly at that time, pure luck! Seems to me your question is a classic - why do steelhead take a fly?

Other thoughts?

5. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Media:
    Nothing, sometimes you just get your pocket picked. If that fish was a player and didn't play with you it was probably because of your presentation not line or leader set up. Remember, while swinging is "simple" being effective and productive takes lots of experience (the touch). For example, let's say your fly was in the same zone as the guy who hooked the fish..... if your fly was not behaving correctly ( dead drifting or moving too fast) the fish is unlikely to react. Perhaps the other guy's fly was swung correctly. That's what I would focus on if I were you. Keep at it, it will all come together, you'll learn from this success and build your knowledge to become a better steelheader. I like your motivation.

6. James Waggoner

James Waggoner Active Member

Media:
    Now that's a gem of a comment...wise and kind words. Thanks Pan!

7. Chris DeLeone

Chris DeLeone Active Member

Media:
    You never know that fish could have given you a look (followed your fly) and just woke up, then - took the other guys fly. What you did learn today was that fish like that holding water at today's flow. You have just dialed in a spot that holds fish and next time you could fish that run twice and pick your own pocket. Its happened to me many times and its fun getting a fish on your second time through a run.

Chris

8. Slipstream

Slipstream Active Member

Excellent advice given by all. The only thing I might add is to tip your Timberwolve hat more to one side of your head. Maybe that will help. Keep at it and one day your fly will stop. SS

9. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Tough to beat this response/advice. Well said Pan.

10. Mike T

Mike T Active Member

That's one of the best descriptions of this addiction I've read.

11. _WW_

_WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Media:
    You let him live?

12. inland

inland Active Member

I think Chris D. brings up the most pertinent point- you don't know if you moved that fish or not. There is definately a 'nuance' to presentation success like Pan is talking about. Maybe you just missed that fish because of a poor cast/badly angled/fly not fishing right/etc. And maybe you did everything 'right enough' but the fish just didn't commit to that cast.

But I caution not to get too caught up in looking for the reasons 'why' when your presentation and 'rig' works. You don't know what else would have worked as the deal is closed. Something I didn't think (more likely lead to believe from others) would work ten years ago under X or Y conditions has shown to be typical steelheaders BS.

Have fun and chalk it up as has been said- you found a water level and productive taking lie. Remember it and spend time learning its secrets. Could produce well. Or could be the dreaded one-time-wonder.

13. Philster

Philster Active Member

Media:
    Boulder fields are one of the few places I fish big intruders. A big-ass fly with movement over the top of the rocks. you can never predict, or explain why a steelhead takes, but I'd be willing to bet it hit that bugger when it was under minimal tension, with lots of movement.

14. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

Media:
    Albums:
    There is nothing you could have done!! it was simply his turn. anything you do to change to catch that one fish will likely take you out of the game for the next one...

people spend far too much time thinking about how to do this game better or more effectively or whatever.. your best bet is to find a set of tackle that you like using and you think is appropriate for the conditions fish it and let the chips fall where they may.

That fish that the guy caught behind you either just moved into position in the run or didn't see your fly for who knows what reason i do not believe that the choice of sink tip had anything to do with him catching it and not you.

15. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Media:
    Rob, while you are certainly correct in many aspects, let's not get too far out on this " you're giving steelhead too much credit thing." Presentation does matter and will make the difference between activating a fish or not. Remember, this guy is new to the game so it is very plausible that he could have done something different to hook that fish. Your comments are based on years of experience where you do get your pocket picked or get a fish on the 3rd time through a run with the same fly.............. who knows why?

16. circlespey

circlespey Member

Media:
    Great comments on this thread, a mix of tactical and philosophical. Love the feedback on the swing, that is spot on. Some thoughts:

(Tactical)
    1) I do prefer a weighted fly in a boulder field. Sure you might lose it on a rock, but I always found that flies that dip, weave, and swim deep are better around rocks. Go heavier than you think you can on the fly + tip. And don't get too attached to your flies. Unless you are talking about a low / clear water summer spot, then three feet of leader is fine.
    2) Fish move! For all you know that fish arrived 5 mins after you fished through it, and just in time for your follower to intercept it.
    3) Color does matter, unfortunately. To some fish. I have lots of experiences fishing through a run with different colors and finding fish on the second or third pass. One favorite in BC was a time I fished a run three times, got nothing on the first two passes, and landed three on the third pass with a third color (same pattern). You never know.

(Philosophical)
    4) Your turn will come, just believe it. Find things (tips, flies) you can fish with confidence and stick to it. Every time you see someone catch a fish, learn something about it (the specific lie, the speed of the water, etc.).

17. Leroy Laviolet

Leroy Laviolet Aint no nookie like chinookie

Media:
    Lots of great stuff here. specially Pan's words . Sometimes, pick-pockets simply happen...

18. Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

Great thread and thoughtful responses. It could be any number of things( many of which have been stated), you never know for sure, could have been the angle or length of your cast or if and how you mend. Maybe his fly just dipped behind the right rock. That's what makes the dance so intriguing for me. I ran into an older fellow years ago on the n. fork stilly who told me about standing on the tracks above the fortson hole watching the guys fish. He could see fish holding in the run, one guy with a white streamer would cast and as the fly drifted by the fish, one would glide out, pick up the fly and drift with it, then spit it out. Although it happend more than once, the guy never new.

19. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Media:
    That's awesome!

20. Leroy Laviolet

Leroy Laviolet Aint no nookie like chinookie

Media:

Very cool-
    Iv'e wondered and talked to a buddy about this on several occasions... Just how
    often may it happen- One of my most memeorable takes was a fished I never hooked. I felt what was a very
    subtle bit of weight, felt like a tiny stick or something, but I just had a fealing it was a fish. He picked it up, swam with it as it swung across a good 15' or so... About the time I thought it was maybe not a fish, and a small twig or something,
    he gave two instant head shakes and left me shaking in my shoes...