So in a run of 4-6 ft with bolders what are you....

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by sandspanker, May 24, 2011.

1. When I was 16 with my dad and his buddy on vancouver is. fishing summer runs we saw 2 fish lying in shade across the river, with pencil lead we could not get a drift. The guy with us had some mesh spawn bAgs, he put one on with no weight and flung it across the river. We were standing on the seat of the boat to see the fish,(he couldn't see'em). Three cast in a row the outside fish picked up the eggs, drifted with them and spit them out. We'd tell him " HE'S GOT IT"' and on the third try he got him. It was very cool to watch.

2. Delightful read top to bottom.

But with water like this (under 6 foot in depth) I'll be going with a straight full floater (usually a Scandi head) and a 9-10 foot leader to a lead brick for a fly like Kauffman Stone followed (18 -24 inches behind) by a bead head Prince Nymph. In the winter that will usually be a size 8, in the summer a size 10 to as small as a 12.

What this gives you is line control, and that's a very good thing.

fae

3. Water like that means a thingymobobber lined up with 7' of floro and some split shot. Then we drift peach colored eggs in the zone, real stealth like. (we meaning Golfy and Jimmy), then after flogging the run= we tell everyone we swung flies, without a grab. Its just fishing right? no matter how you do it.

4. Don't bring me into your constant drival responses....This was a good thread..grow up..

5. I'll be the first to ask, and hopefully the last. What the heck was your post bringing to the Party?

Fred Evans

6. They told you we can only talk about swing 'round here.
    No beads, no jigs, they say that it is gear.
    The fire's in their eyes and their words are really clear
    But I say bead it, just bead it

It's a rocky run, you better do what you can
    Don't need to be a snob, don't be a swinging man
    You wanna hit the pockets, better than swinging feathers can
    So bead it, if you wanna be bad

Just bead it, bead it, bead it, bead it
    No one wants to be defeated
    Showin' how funky and strong is your fight
    It doesn't matter who's wrong or right
    Just bead it, bead it
    Just bead it, bead it
    Just bead it, bead it
    Just bead it, bead it

They're out to get you, don't let them see you if you can
    Don't wanna be a dickhead, you wanna be a man
    If you wanna get a hook up, better do what you can
    So bead it, just bead it

You have to show them that you're really not scared
    You're playin' with your indicator, this ain't no truth or dare
    They'll kick you, then they beat you,
    Then they'll tell you nymphing's not fair
    But just bead it, if you wanna be bad

Just bead it, bead it, bead it, bead it
    No one wants to be defeated
    Showin' how funky and strong is your fight
    It doesn't matter who's wrong or right

Just bead it.

Matt Baerwalde likes this.
  7. haa haa

8. Sorry Dadbawling:

9. Paul Huffman FOR THE WIN, that is some good shit!

10. LOL that is funny.

11. You been spinning your classic M.J. vinyl?

12. don't mess with me...

13. +1 Mumbles. Have this one marked down as a candidate for 'post of the year.'

fae

14. Back to the subject.

It could be that your fly did not swing in front of the fish. It was a boulder field. This means that there are lots of micro currents swirling in all directions. You can make the same cast three times and cover three different pieces of water at three different speeds. I was down on the Deschutes this last summer with a friend. We saw a steelhead sitting out at the point of a boulder about 60' out. I scrambled up the rocks to get a good look at the fish while Brian positioned himself to swing to the fish. I watched him make the same cast ten or twelve times and his fly made a different path through the water each time.

15. Did he move the fish?

16. Re: So in a run of 4-6 ft with bolders what are you....
    You never know that fish could have given you a look (followed your fly) and just woke up, then - took the other guys fly. What you did learn today was that fish like that holding water at today's flow. You have just dialed in a spot that holds fish and next time you could fish that run twice and pick your own pocket. Its happened to me many times and its fun getting a fish on your second time through a run.

Chris

Nail on the head!!!