So this swinging thing.

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Irafly, Jan 19, 2014.

1. sopflyfisher Active Member

Where the fish are located
    Ratings: +431 / 0
    that's good. the internet has enough reports. want reports? check out gamefishin or walakes. lots of em there, they also embrace gear fishing. furthermore ira you and a few others are still doing it wrong. you are just an odd duck who likes bobber watching. i doubt you can be saved. i feel like the evangelists that show up my door from time to time. all i can say is I'm praying for souls. however i see a great effort here and with some fine tunning, some serious mentoring, and an awsome sports montage to some cool music three is a sliver of hope. the road will not be easy, and the montage music will be Loud, but you may triumph in the end. good work on the fish, tight lines.
    Irafly likes this.
  2. David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Walla Walla, WA
    Ratings: +737 / 0

Best post of the year so far.

:D
  3. PT Physhicist

Edmonds, WA
    Ratings: +715 / 2
    Since this place is full of opinions, I'll state mine. Post your reports and don't concern yourself with what someone else thinks. People need not be so fragile as to be offended by what some anonymous poster thinks about their posts.

To quote Ira. "Nobody can offend me without my consent." Words more of us should live by.

What could be seen as really offensive is Ira thinking that what he did is considered swinging. Casting upstream with a heavily weighted fly or two and letting it dead drift, on purpose, until the tail end where he swings it in for another cast.....? Blah! ;)
    Rob Hardman and David Dalan like this.
  4. sopflyfisher Active Member

perhaps a show called INDICATOR REHAB is in order. it would be just like the other rehab shows but with indicators. the smuggling of indicators in oxycontin bottles, the trembling hands as a sink tip is threaded, the drama and blow ups on the water, the overwhelming urge to cast from a moving boat. I'd watch that. the nightmares of fishless days as the patient tosses and turns while images of bobbers and beads dance in ones head along side laughing evil steelhead refusing the swung fly as they sulk in cold water under a log. i mean kicking heroin is rough, kicking the bobber perhaps tougher. not to mention the therapy ....."i totally could have hooked up, one cast that's all i need" as a locker is searched and contraband tugsten putty is found by an overly exited German Sheppard. that would be good tv.
  5. gearhead Active Member

Renton, wa
    Ratings: +45 / 0
    im going to steal a line here, but, a lion shouldn't concern itself with the opinion of a swinger.
  6. Irafly Active Member

Everett, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +1,033 / 1

I was thinking of you sop when I mentioned my buddy program. Please be my steelhead buddy.
    David Dalan likes this.
  7. sopflyfisher Active Member

you mean a hyena or wild dog.
  8. sopflyfisher Active Member

anytime ira, let me know when you're on my block and we can make it happen. we need some footage for that sports training montage anyway.
    Irafly likes this.
  9. Chris Bellows The Thought Train

The Salt
    Ratings: +753 / 0
    The rivers and fish deserve better than being polluted with Bronco orange. I'd rather be a dirtbag snagging poacher than a Donkey fan.

See folks, there are things I hate worse than beaders and bucktailers...
    Randall Clark likes this.
  10. Peyton00 Active Member

Puyallup, Wa.
    Ratings: +290 / 0
    The person reads a thread and makes the effort( takes the time) to post a remark. Either the remarks are positive and encouraging, or an attempt to deflate the OP of his accomplishments.
    The reason for the latter is to make themselves feel better. They know you will read the response and they cant help themselves from trying to take somebody down (with them). They are mentally defeated and when anybody post a pic of fish being landed and the joys of such an adventure they feel jaded and envious of your actions.
    Its not the technique used, it the fact you actually landed a fish and had fun doing it. They are upset with themselves, being unable to fish that day or the idea that you are a happy person. They are miserable on the inside and it shows in their negative responses.
    Ira says he is just as happy on the water if others around him are catching fish... it really, really pisses the haters off.

Good job IRA!
    Rob Hardman and Freestone like this.
  11. triploidjunkie Active Member

Grand Coulee, WA
    Ratings: +1,263 / 0
    You know what's fun? When you're fishing with Ira, even if it's not your preferred method, put on the biggest indicator you have and cast within sight of where he's fishing. It will totally screw him up. Can't watch two indicators at once, but he'll try;)
    constructeur and Irafly like this.
  12. bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

m-ville
    Ratings: +675 / 0
    I use a centerpin to fish a float & rubber worm,Sometimes I plunk wingbobbers & drink a beer am I bad?
  13. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +961 / 1
    You implied that the fish had to be hooked in the corner of the jaw.
  14. Rob Hardman Active Member

University Place, WA
    Ratings: +87 / 0
    Perhaps I'm too empathetic. I read a post like the OP, and it makes me happy. And it makes me happy for Ira that he had such a good time. I just don't get why anyone, for any reason, would wanna shit on that. Do they not realize that not only are they shitting on Ira, but diminishing the enjoyment the rest of us get from it? You wanna jump on someone's case for mishandling wild fish, trashing a river, etc, by all means, have at it; but for fuck's sake, let a guy have a good day and let the rest of us share it with him. And of all people; IRA?? Maybe I missed something, but has Ira ever been anything but positive and helpful, and a HUGE contributor to this forum?
  15. Darthmonkey Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +147 / 0
    Last year Maxim Magazine readers chose Miley Cyrus as the hottest woman of 2013. That kind of disappointment can only be matched by the fact that I haven't been on the water in two weeks and some bobber watcher who poses in the facedownassup position with a bonefish, swings up a chromegill.
  16. Irafly Active Member

Uhhh, thanks? In full disclosure though, I have not "always" been anything but positive and helpful, once or maybe twice I've been a possibly a tad bit of an instigator. Now the HUGE contributor part, that's true of course.

And I also do not in anyway feel shat upon, but I will ask questions to people who make assumptions about my fishing or make blanket statements about the way others should enjoy the sport. I honestly opened myself up by posting the title of this thread the way I did. I expected flack (I did honestly start a minor little pool with one of my friends to see how long it would take, thanks JS I won!)
  17. Irafly Active Member

What can I say, facedownassup is my best side right after facesideassdownrightfootupleftfoottwistedhatbackwardelbowsintoescrossed position with a Shefish (I'll scrounge that picture up).

Now knowing how much a guy like you loves him some Miley, I'll assume you were complimenting me. ;)
  18. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,616 / 0
    Peyton00,

If your post is serious, I think you're delusional, NTTAWWT. It's not uncommon on fishing websites IMO. I talk a little bobber smack to Ira, not to make myself feel better, but in hopes of entertaining him as much as he's entertaining some of the rest of us. I'm neither jaded nor envious of Ira's success at bobbering up a fish. I have bobber fished and expect I will again - someday. But it's not my style to cast bobbers and lead as a regular thing with a fly rod, and I don't need or want to catch a fish badly enough to resort to more effective methods than what I employ. While the technique used is of no concern to many anglers, it is to others, as it often is to me. And if I'm miserable on the inside, it must be buried so deep I can't begin to find it. And I don't know Ira, but if I did, I think I'd like him. He seems like a cool guy, even if his fishing style renders him a lesser person.

Bennysbuddy,

No, you're not bad, but if you plunk whilst drinking PBR or some other cheap macro brew, you probably deserve a hand up from the dregs of society. While there is nothing inherently wrong with plunking, the act does render one less connected with the act of fishing than any active method employing any gear type.

Rob,

It's imperative that we get after Ira a bit, not just because he was slumming with his bobber and lead gear, but mainly because his was a troll post. I read that if no one feeds the trolls, they will go away. And we don't want to lose a quality troll like Ira. In play off season like this, it's all about the trash talk. I think Ira can hold his own with the best of them.

Darth,

The mention of Miley Cyrus is the only downer in this thread. And you just had to go and do it, didn't you!

Ira,

This stuff about your positions, best and otherwise, is definitely TMI.

Sg
  19. Rob Allen Active Member

Vancouver WA
    Ratings: +368 / 0

No I didn't I will say however that that is the best place to hook fish that you want to release. and if I hooked fish on the tongue or deep into the mouth I would change my technique.. That has nothing whatsoever to do with this thread.

Salmo G.. I have absolutely no problem with Ira or any other bobber dragging troll :)

all my problems are on another website..
  20. Peyton00 Active Member

Puyallup, Wa.
    Ratings: +290 / 0
    Maxim is a spank magazine for kids going thru puberty and adults with ugly wives/girlfriends. My neighbor's favorite magazine.