So this swinging thing.

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Irafly, Jan 19, 2014.

1. Randall Clark

Randall Clark Active Member

Media:
    who the fuck is catching 7-12 steelhead a day? I must be a crappy fisherman....or I just need a boat and a 2 rod license and rig it up with side drifters on either side...awe, fuck it, I'll stick to hiking in...much more fun, see tons of cool shit, like the American Dipper that low-holed me three times last weekend...or the half eaten elk carcass I came across...no I didn't stick around long enough to find out what killed it--I think I already knew. Or the little winter wrens flitting around my feet as I bush-whack from path to river. Or the bald eagles I could hear, but not see...somehow, I am fortunate to squeeze in a fish or two in there sometimes. Last weekend, I didn't get that opportunity, but I did shake fins with a beauty of a Sea Run Cutthroat as by-catch.

2. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Media:
    Home Page:
    There is a river to the north where there were once signs posted by anglers asking to have people stop fishing after 2 fish. Seemed resonalble. The idea wasn't conservation based (it's a c&r river) but it was kind of a give everyone a chance thing.

On the at least one eastern Atlantic Salmon river (Matapedia?) you are required to stop fishing after either 2 or 3 fish. This may be conservation based to some extent, or it could be a social rule.

I have gone home many times after hooking one fish on my local river. Time to take the family out and get the wine. In fact, after the last steelhead I hooked, I drove home. It was a large fish that I was not going to top. I had a 3+ hour drive ahead of me. I was content. It was a great feeling. Satiated is not an adjective I can use to describe myself often with relation to steelheading. When it happens I role with it.

Go Sox,
    cds

3. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:

Your believe does not offend me, but I certainly don't think you are in the right. I am impressed though that you are so unselfish that you have given up all attempt to catch fish anymore and that you run your computer using elctricity garnered completely off the grid. Nice work there.

4. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:
    Dang, you figured me out, that is exactly what my intend was, you read me so well, you are obviously too smart for me!

And yes my bait was so tempting wasn't it, heck I even hooked myself a "hydrological". He wanted to ignore it so bad but in the end even though he talks a big game about how he avoids the steelhead forum and how others should fish more, he still couldn't help but take a big ole mouthful of it.

So ironic isn't it that a guy would say I'm a troll, add nothing to the conversation or a report of his own and then say that others need to fish more. What a joke.

5. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:
    I will happily kill my two hatchery and be done, regardless of how great the fishing is.

6. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:
    I sometimes have my students engage in a brainstorming excersice where they make a list of at least 100 things related to a topic. Last time we did it I asked them to choose their top 10 ideas and average where on their list they fell. When we took a whole class average of the top ideas, it turns out that it was the 56th idea that ended up being best. You never know which fish will end up being that great memory. I can tell you that although I've only experienced a handful and a half of the more than 7 fish hooked steelhead days, that I have several great memories of specific fish past 7.

7. Randall Clark

Media:

How is that report considered a "troll" post? ...I got none of that (troll-like feeling) in his report. I got a great report that highlighted [to him] why he fishes the way he does (very similar to the way I fish--maybe that's why I usually like Ira's posts, or perhaps...just perhaps it's because they are always good, solid reports-then it's the trolls who apparently like to come out following that). If that's what a "troll" post is like, then there are shitload of trolls on here, there are a shitload of trolls on Speypages, there are a shitload of trolls on Westfly...etc etc etc...

It's no different than a report stating about how cool it was to swing up a nice steelhead...but somehow that's ok, right?

Irafly likes this.
  8. Charles Sullivan

Media:
    Home Page:
    Ira pretty much admitted that it was a troll thread on page 3.

Go Sox,
    cds

9. Rick Todd

Rick Todd Active Member

Ira-thanks for stimulating a great thread. I'm glad you are enjoying the controversy, as am I. It points out a number of things including how anal some people are and how some of us are entirely lacking in a sense of humor! Keep up the good work Ira and lets go fishing together soon! Rick

Irafly likes this.
  10. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:
    Nah, I just admitted that some people would take my post that way based upon the title. I also admitted that I thought some others would respond negatively. I did not admitted that I was attempting to troll, besides everyone who knows me, knows that I indicator fish, so I don't troll much to catch my fish, I laser like focus my presentation to more appropriately encourage takes.

11. Charles Sullivan

Media:
    Home Page:
    I guess that I was wrong.
    Go Sox,
    cds

12. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Media:
    What! Ira is a troll! Oh man, I am hacked and so close to taking action rofl1.gif
    ignore.jpg

13. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Media:
    Stop fishing because I'm catching too many fish?

To quote the great philosopher..."Bitch please!"

I fish for me and to a MUCH lesser extent to put bonkers in the fridge for the kids. I don't scout rivers, obsess over gear, pick the ear of everyone who will let me, and spend 12 hours driving and fishing to pull out early. Don't get me wrong, I'm as likely to say to another angler "get down here, you idiot, and catch one of these." But quit for the day?

Laughable.

14. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    Way back when, before such a thing as steelhead CNR seasons existed, the daily catch limit was 2 steelhead. Two, regardless of whether the fish were retained - all steelhead were legal to keep then - or released. Land two fish and you were finished for the day. In those days barbless hooks were more or less unheard of as well, so when an angler hooked a dark steelhead (no angler worthy of the title kept dark steelhead or even one that was slightly beyond blushed) all kinds of contortions were performed so that the hook might fall out and the fish "lost" rather than landed, so that he could continue fishing a while longer.

After CNR became somewhat common, and mainly because of quality trout waters like Lenice and Dry Falls, it became legal to fish until the "daily limit was retained." Since the daily limit was zero, the mentality of fishing 'til you catch 'em all developed. Unfortunately it hasn't improved the quality of the fishing or of those who fish for them.

Sg

15. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

I find this tread quite informative. I was under the impression that " this swinging thing" was a product of the 1960 's sexual revolution, But now I understand its a fishing method... Total Enlightenment

Mark Kraniger and David Dalan like this.
  16. PT

PT Physhicist

I'm not swinging when there's pressure on the river. Under those conditions (nobody else on the water), I'll continue fishing until I'm not enjoying it anymore. So, leaving rested fish for others isn't doing anything other than placing an arbitrary line on my own fishing. I get the thought process regarding conservation, but also enjoy those days when nobody is around and there's snappy fish in the river. It doesn't happen often. Play the fish with the proper gear and technique.

As for catching a few fish in the day? It isn't about racking up numbers to prove a point. It's about learning where fish are holding. In the past, I've rotated out of runs when I was doing well. I've stepped out and let others in. Quite a few fish my buddy has landed were with me sitting on shore, done for the day. Anymore, I'm not on the water when there's pressure. That lost its fun a long time ago.

itsbenlong, Irafly and David Dalan like this.
  17. underachiever

underachiever !

Media:
    I can't way for the day this is an actual decision for me to make!

18. underachiever

underachiever !

Media:
    I normally stop at 0. I'm the most moral and virtuous member of all WFF.

19. Charles Sullivan

Media:
    Home Page:
    I took tomorrow off to go steelheading. There is no chance that I stop fishing due to the amount of fish caught, unless I catch a 30lb fish. I will stop then. The chance of a 30 lber may be actually higher than a day where I catch so many steelhead that I stop.

Go Sox,
    cds

Irafly and David Dalan like this.
  20. Randall Clark

Media:

I think a 30 lber might make me quit fishing for steelhead forever...