Sockeye in the Cedar

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Richard Olmstead, Oct 24, 2013.

1. If you have a kid that loves fish, or if YOU love fish, now is the time to take a stroll along the Cedar River. I like it up near Landsburg.

D

1380631_10202247679375652_803758497_n.jpg

995528_10202247681695710_467604284_n.jpg

1385140_10202247679055644_1469006903_n.jpg

2. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

The beauty of Autumn.

Thanks for posting Richard.

3. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

You didn't happen to see any large bows feeding on eggs did you? I would love to watch that, and it has me considering alevin flies in the first week of the season, even though it would definitley be late for the emergence. Possibly a small baitfish streamer with an orange belly. Seems like the trout would immediatley recognize it as food.

4. Tim Lockhart

Tim Lockhart Working late at The Office

In the past they've come in prior to season end (late August) and some of the largest rainbow's you'll see all year will take anything. They'll gladly roll on a PMX in broad daylight for example.

5. Jim Speaker

Jim Speaker Active Member

The day I got my biggest cedar bow nymphing I also landed a big male sockeye on the same nymph in the same pool.

6. DennisE

DennisE Topwater and tying.

Maybe a small Chum Baby?

7. No, and I was looking to see if there were any 'shadows' hanging out below the redds, but I didn't see any.

8. Danielocean

Danielocean Steelhead Virgin

What are they biting on?

9. Daniel -
    The Cedar is closed to fishing this time of year to protect the spawning salmon. The open season is June through August.
    Dick

10. Danielocean

Oh okay.

11. plaegreid

plaegreid Saved by the buoyancy of citrus

Also, aren't you supposed to be focused on steel right now? Head in the game, man, head in the game!

Also, those are some nice pictures. Sockeye are cool fish.

Thom Collins likes this.
  12. Danielocean

Yes I am 100% dedicated to steelhead. Mr Olmstead just did not get my sarcasm/joke. Sundowners perhaps.