Solar Charging Panel on Tent Trailer Roof?

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by Ed Call, May 16, 2011.

1. So what solar charging panels are available and practical for my tent trailer roof? I'm a pretty dumb monkey but I think the power of the sun could extend the life of my two tent trailer batteries if staying far from from the plug in sources. The Mrs and I are used to being far off the grid, but that was a long time ago. The girls now are much more tolerant and I think such adventures are in our future this summer and for many summers ahead. Thanks.

2. Costco has some cheap kits that will work for you.

3. I'll check and see if my Stepmom still has our extra kit. We had one for a charger on our cabin batteries. I bought my Dad a bigger panel (higher draw batteries then you'd have on your tent trailer), and he had the old kit torn down and in garage. Was there last time I saw it.

But back on target (if it's gone), Camping world has them ready to go for your batteries (and mounting hardware). Easy install. Probably want to mount it on the roof near the seals (so you don't put a hole in your roof to do it, just plumb it into the trim piece on I'm presuming a hardtop popup).

4. Brunton solar products aren't inexpensive, but they are durable and powerful -- many of my friends and colleagues have used them on climbing expeditions into the Himalaya, Karakoram and Andes. But these are compact, portable panels so you pay for that technology, too (I really like this one: http://store.bruntonoutdoor.com/portable-power/panels-and-chargers/solaris-reg-12/ --- it will power my laptop and a small lantern while I work).

I don't have any personal experience with panels for permanently mounting to an RV / camper, but my friend at Camping Life magazine says this is a popular RV/camper add-on product that has a good reputation for quality, durability and functionality:
    http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/sunforce-rv-solar-charger-kits/31287

5. That's funny Dan. The one you pictured is similar to the one I bought for my Dad that we used on the Cabin. He had one of the cheaper ones in the link above before (think it was like a $200 one until I bought the one above, I paid about $500 for it a few years back).

6. I love the collective brilliance and universal helpfulness of the WFF membership. Thank you all.

7. I've tried all these green methods to charge the batteries on my coleman evolution tent trailer. They will all work ,But I'm not into reinventing the wheel or makeing camping an ordeal . I found that a nice & quite honda 2000 watt generator is faster more convenent , still works after dark,and most important will power any damm thing the missus seems to think we need on a camping trip, it takes a lot of juice to recharge cell phones, laptops , hair driers ( it's important to have dry hair & a curling iron, just putting on a hat won't do )

8. Buddy of Benny, I'm contemplating the honda generator option too. I know they are wicked quiet. Not sure how much fuel I'd need to carry along on the trip and I'd rather go greener than lose space to fuel containers. Eventually I'll make up my mind on which route to go. Maybe both will have their place in my family comfort camping future.

Thanks all. The advice is great.

9. Mumbles,

Here is another bit of information that might be helpful as you go forward. Story on installing solar into an RV/camper/trailer from the may 2011 Camping Life magazine (full disclosure: I didn't write this but I am a frequent contributor to the magazine).

10. Hmmm, if you're using electricity, are you really camping? Nothing like roughing it with the ol' black-and-white TV!

11. iagreeiagreeiagreeiagreeiagree

12. Everyone has their definitions of camping. Unfortunately at one time I was married to a woman who thought our 30' self contained Prowler with central heatt and AC was "camping". Only way to get her near the outdoors. Thankfully she's gone. But had a buddy who thought using a tent wasn't camping. Sleep under the stars or a lean to tarp only. And no sleeping bags. Larry only slept in a bedroll (pretty much a couple of heavy wool blankets).

13. Come on, now. Electricity is just another form of fuel/power. Compared to kerosene, white gas or even propane, electric lanterns (powered by solar-charged batteries) would have a lot of advantages. And remember, Mumbles is talking about camping in a travel traveler. The use of what is in essence a small, self-contained HOUSE would be a more reasonable reason to suggest the activity isn't camping, rather than focus on a small source of electricity. :)

If we stick to a purist's definition, then to do some "real camping", you'll need to do more than reject electricity. You'll have to leave your car behind and start walking with only what fits on your back. And, I guess, leave those headlamps and flashlights behind -- that's electricity in them thar batteries after all! :rofl:

14. Instead of putting something on top where you may have directional problems make a solar briefcase. I saw something that the UN was using to power sat fones and stuff so copied it and made my own. Take 2 40 watt panels and hinge them together (giving you a total of 80 watts), put hanldles on them and wire them in parallel. That will keep the voltage the same but double the amperage. When you are camped someplace open it up, point it to the south and connect it to the batteries (you will need a charge regulator that you can get on Amazon for $25). I stole an image off of the web of a similar item that is produced for sale, but you can do it yourself.

[​IMG]

15. Guess I should have asked for suggestions from everyone but Salmo g! Actually, the tent trailer is to improve the odds of a comfortable prolonged weekend trip the the Mrs and the girls. If that ain't camping, I could care less. It is fun to spend time with them in a comfortable base camp.

Steve agrees with you, but he was glad to be in the tent trailer this winter on the Yakima. It was cold and the heater was not working but it sure beat sleeping outside.

We'll be doing some daddy daughter backpacking this summer too. The more outdoor adventures the better. I don't mind if they have comfortable accomodations to sleep if we are venturing to new and fun places.

16. Ed, you're sooooooo right. You rarely will hear someone bitch in a nice warm camper after spending all day on a freezing river.

And on a sidenote I concur with the generator scenerio. I have one I use on my Alaskan. Works like a charm (but I don't have a battery setup, I use it as a 110v setup).

17. iagree iagree

Hear, hear! If it takes a few little solar-powered comforts from home to get kids into outdoor adventures, we should all be advocating more power in camp!

Mumbles, you have my respect and admiration for keeping your family fit and active in outdoor adventures.

18. Dan, guilty of not being very fit myself. The girls are working on me though!

19. "One hundred fifty years ago, we lived in the wilderness and dreamed of civilization. Today, we live in civilization but long for wilderness." - David James Duncan

K