Some Classic Wet Flies

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by S Fontinalis, Feb 29, 2012.

1. S Fontinalis Active Member

Ratings: +180 / 0
    Blue Jay (Bergman)
    [IMG][IMG]
    SccrBecks08 likes this.
  2. S Fontinalis Active Member

Soo Nipi - not my best. I had to scavenge from about 6 woodduck quills for the tail and the throat is not the best aligned.

But, the colors on this one really make it pop!

[IMG]
    [IMG]
  3. Chad Lewis NEVER wonder what to do with your free time

TriCities, WA
    Ratings: +152 / 0
    Fontinalis, I took a look at your blog. Very, very nice.
  4. S Fontinalis Active Member

Thanks for checking in. its a work in progress, only started in January. Hopefully I'll get some fishing reports up soon too.
  5. S Fontinalis Active Member

Yellow Jay - theres not many good jay quills in two pairs of wings, and i think i've used the best two pairs for this and the blue jay I tied the other day!
    [IMG]
    Irish Turkey (variant - tail should be quill, not hackle fibers, though the hackle looks good I think)
    [IMG]
    freestoneangler likes this.
  6. freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Edgewood, WA
    Ratings: +706 / 1
    Way too cool to fish these. Also, how in the hell do you keep your tying bench looking that neat and orderly? Mine is an absolute wreck even after I do a clean-up :D
    Mark Kraniger likes this.
  7. S Fontinalis Active Member

You only see half the bench, where i take the photos, the other half looks like a tornado hit it.
    ;)
  8. Danny H Member

The Bench
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Beautiful flies, thanks for sharing.
  9. S Fontinalis Active Member

Thanks for checking in Danny. I'm going to continue to add to the thread as i tie more different patterns. Check back often
  10. S Fontinalis Active Member

Couple from this weekend. Finished up all my size 6 hooks, so no more flies until my new batch arrives.

Given irish fever is sweeping the country (at least in philadelphia anyways) I tied the St Patrick, both the original Bergman recipe and a sword variant - the sword version is the one i see most often, and i understand why. The green tinge to the sword is much better than the herl, or at least the herl i have.

St Patrick (Variant)
    [IMG]
    St Patrick (Bergman)
    [IMG]

Both together
    [IMG]

Hoptacong
    [IMG]

Lord Baltimore
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

Lady Grey
    [IMG]
  11. Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

Outer Duvall
    Ratings: +243 / 1
    The St. Patrick, (sword version) reminds me of Alexandra (formerly Lady of the Lake). A lovely fly.

"The Alexandra, or Lady of the Lake, as it was then called, was introduced some time around 1860. It was re-named in honour of Princess Alexandra. It was such a popular and successful pattern that its use was literally banned on some waters. If it regained its popularity it would prove to be a very successful fly, as it still does to a few in the know!"

http://flyanglersonline.com/flytying/fotw/9798fotw.php
    http://www.fish4flies.com/Wet/Winged/Alexandra

TC
  12. S Fontinalis Active Member

They are very similar, except for the throat/hackle, and the Alexandra has either a red or JC cheek. And it can also have red in the tail too, either with or without the swords, there are many variations.
  13. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +540 / 0
    These flies you are tying blow me away! Works of art they be! Arrgh! I can't even look at a rubber-legged foam hopper pattern any more.
  14. S Fontinalis Active Member

Thanks for the comments. Once you get the hang of it, they pretty much tie themselves (slight exaggeration), but seriously, when the fundamentals are in place, with the selection of different patterns available (>400) its not hard to sit down at the vise and crank out 6 or seven of the same pattern, or different patterns.
    The limit for me is my credit card limit and my budget, everyday i seem to find one with a material I dont have in stock!
  15. Hal Eckert Member

West GLs
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Excellent work, my first trout a brookie was caught on a Parmachenne Belle wet fly back in NY State many years ago. Miss the Upper Big D, great waters, did all of the other Catskill rivers growing up out there, great memories.

HE
  16. S Fontinalis Active Member

Just for you Hal - I found a size 6 hook on my bench tonight and cranked this little lady out!

Parmachenne Belle.

[IMG]
  17. Chad Lewis NEVER wonder what to do with your free time

TriCities, WA
    Ratings: +152 / 0
    Fontinalis,

In the Hoptacong and Lord Baltimore flies, is the jungle cock dressing on these flies called the "cheek" or the "shoulder". I'm leaning towards cheek, but obviously since I'm asking....
  18. S Fontinalis Active Member

Def a cheek. I believe shoulders are found more so on salmon flies and rangeley style streamers, generally much bigger flies. there may be some wet flies with shoulder, but I have not yet encountered any
    Olive bugger likes this.
  19. Mike Wilson Yakbowbw

Everett, WA
    Ratings: +4 / 0
  20. Drifter Active Member

Ratings: +634 / 2
    After viewing your ties I feel I need to leave a tip or something - we need a tip jar! love the simple picture set-up. thanks so much for sharing, they are truly works of "ART" welcome to the site, and I think I will be very glad you joined!