Some help with Orofino Steelhead

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by flyfishmt, Oct 31, 2012.

1. flyfishmt

flyfishmt Active Member

Media:
    If the weather permits, I am going to spend Thanksgiving weekend on Orofino, ID. I might drag the driftboat over, but haven't decided yet. I am also thinking about hiring a guide for one day.

My question is:
    1.) Does anyone know some good spots to wade the Clearwater or the N & S Forks?
    2.) A good fly fishing guide?
    3.) Some good floats for experienced boat man?
    4.) Shuttle services?
    5.) Good hotel?
    6.) Good eats?

I sure would appreciate any help. I have only fished it from a jet boat, which is not my favorite way to fish. I stayed at the Riverside in Orofino, which was real nice.

2. Big Tuna

Big Tuna Member

Media:
    There's a Best Western in Orofino that overlooks a pretty nice drift. Finding water to fish is pretty straightforward. Look for pullouts and wading anglers. Poppy at the Red Shed would be a good source for guides. The floats from Orofino to the mouth are all pretty easy. I think the Clearwater is a tough nut to crack. Best of luck.

Itchy Dog likes this.
  3. doublespey

doublespey Steelhead-a-holic

The Best Western Riverside Lodge is the finest lodging I've found - you overlook a great run right from your room. Also the best breakfast in town.

The Guide Shop in Orofino has guides and also offers shuttle services. Poppy's place (Red Shed) can point you in the right direction for anything spey-related and he has maps of the upper river that identify the boat launches.

Fishing has been tough this year - maybe by Turkey Day will have improved.

Cheers,

DS