Some recent builds

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by Rob Ast, Jan 25, 2014.

1. Rob Ast

Rob Ast Active Member

Media:
    I thought that since things were a little quiet in here I would post some recent builds. Both rods are 9' 5wts. Not sure if I will keep one, both, or give them to friends or family.

Rod #1: Hook and Hackle XI series "special kit". Chestnut wraps with gold tipping (one wrap). Ferrule and hook keeper detail is a 4 turn gold wrap alternating with the base color. Stripper guides have a gold insert.

HH1.jpg

HH2.jpg

Rod 2: Dan Craft (Five Rivers) Sig V. American Tackle infinity reel seat with rosewood insert. Hopkins and Holloway guides. Maroon thread with silver tipping (two wraps). Winding check and ferrule detail is two bands of solid silver (base color carried underneath).

DC1.jpg

DC2.jpg

LD, Mike Ediger, Alexander and 2 others like this.
  2. Wayne Kohan

Wayne Kohan fish-ician

Media:
    I built the same Hook and Hackle Xi rod a couple years ago. I really liked it the couple of times I fished with it, until I broke the top section changing lines out on Lenice the second day I used it. It has sit for over a year, but a couple weeks ago I sacrificed a Cabela's rod that had met the same fate (Am I stupid or what? don't just yank when you need more line out!) and I was able to splint it back together. I am really excited to get it out and see how it performs with the fix.

Wayne

3. LD

LD Active Member

Media:
    Nice work. Always great to see some new rods.

4. jwg

jwg Active Member

I like the maroon thread wraps on that blank.

Jay

5. Matthew LeBret

Matthew LeBret Active Member

Media:
    Nice and clean
    The color choices are spot on Rob. I try to use the same tone thread with the color of blanks that you are using.